It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you all feel about people using Dr. as their primary honorific title but are not a doctor?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The media does. How many times have you heard them refer to Jill Biden as a doctor, and that's her doctorate.

WAIT! She is NOT a medical doctor???

Oh Crap I thought she was and now I'm concern more about Biden as I was thinking well at least he has a medical doctor on hand 24/7...

Thanks for ruining that little bubble of security I had for our next President...

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That is because they are trying to elevate her credentials.

Why? Didn't Biden get 2 or 3 degrees and the top of his class, he must have his PhD now too.

edit on 15-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

The media does. How many times have you heard them refer to Jill Biden as a doctor, and that's her doctorate.

Oh Crap I thought she was and now I'm concern more about Biden as I was thinking well at least he has a medical doctor on hand 24/7...

Thanks for ruining that little bubble of security I had for our next President...

You realise how sad and needy and basically a little pathetic you are coming across as, don't you?

When did you think she was a medical doctor? When did she state she was? Do you spend all your life under a bridge?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

a reply to: uncommitted

So I take it if you had a PhD in anything, you'd insist on being called doctor everywhere, by everyone, all the time?

Probably not, but then I'm not in the public eye. If I was asked to comment on something and it was appropriate, then yes. Why wouldn't I?

So in other words, you would conform to the norms most of us have already expressed. You would not insist that people generally call doctor so-and-so everywhere you go like most people refer to actual medical doctors. You would typically possibly sign it as part of your credentials or perhaps be introduced to a professional conference that way, etc., but most medical doctors use doctor like most married folks use Mr. or Mrs. - most PhDs do not.

You are aiming this at one individual because the sad losing media you follow is pushing you to. Someone who has a doctorate has every right to call them such, and the media has every right to refer to them as such. If specifics are called for as to what their doctorate is in, then it's reasonable for that to be clarified.

Aside from that, all I hear is a lot of whining.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

You know that having a doctorate conveys upon you the right to use the honorific doctor don't you?

This is a really sad thread now.

There would be a crap load of "Doctor" flying around if it was a norm to be used. Seems silly outside of a profession though as you said it portrays a level of expertise in a professional environment. Now when we look at acidemia most higher learning professors are PhDs as almost a requirement for their profession as I talked about in a prior post, but they go by professor.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You realise how sad and needy and basically a little pathetic you are coming across as, don't you?

When did you think she was a medical doctor? When did she state she was? Do you spend all your life under a bridge?

But yet, the screeching idiots on the View thought she should be Surgeon General.... clearly the average leftist is equating her doctorate with a medical doctorate which is why they keep saying Dr. Jill Biden.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

No I brought it up to illustrate an individual who had the title used and why it typically doesn't happen. It causes confusion with medical doctors of various types.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   

So I take it if you had a PhD in anything, you'd insist on being called doctor everywhere, by everyone, all the time?

So that is the basis of my question if people here see that as a norm or something kind of strange...

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

No I brought it up to illustrate an individual who had the title used and why it typically doesn't happen. It causes confusion with medical doctors of various types.

As a rule it wouldn't, just in the media of your choice. I know a doctor of philosophy and she refers to herself as such, no one to my knowledge has asked her for opinion on a medical matter.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Society custom does not dictate that a person who has earned a doctorate should not use it.

Do you see it as a norm used this way? That was my question and NOT one's right. I have a right to be called Chief Master Sergeant, retired but I would find it silly outside of maybe the VA, or some professional military situation.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

More thoughts on this.

For the record, I’m still somewhat embarrassed merely to be called professor, and on the rare occasions when someones has presumed to call me “Doctor Hayward,” I usually disavow the term. Hypothetical: Suppose “Doctor Biden” is dining in a restaurant some time and a nearby diner is suddenly in distress. The host or hostess calls out, “Is there is doctor in the house?” Will “Doctor” Jill Biden answer the call? If I’d ever actually reserved a table under “doctor” and someone was choking, I guess I’d have to say, “Well, you see, I’m a Doctor of Philosophy, and as philosophy teaches that there’s a time to live and a time to die. . .”

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

More thoughts on this.

For the record, I’m still somewhat embarrassed merely to be called professor, and on the rare occasions when someones has presumed to call me “Doctor Hayward,” I usually disavow the term. Hypothetical: Suppose “Doctor Biden” is dining in a restaurant some time and a nearby diner is suddenly in distress. The host or hostess calls out, “Is there is doctor in the house?” Will “Doctor” Jill Biden answer the call? If I’d ever actually reserved a table under “doctor” and someone was choking, I guess I’d have to say, “Well, you see, I’m a Doctor of Philosophy, and as philosophy teaches that there’s a time to live and a time to die. . .”

And the person uses a hypothetical and childish example.

It asks a question and provides no real answer. You really are clinging desperately to something very sad in a pathetic blog.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

So in other words, you would conform to the norms most of us have already expressed. You would not insist that people generally call doctor so-and-so everywhere you go like most people refer to actual medical doctors. You would typically possibly sign it as part of your credentials or perhaps be introduced to a professional conference that way, etc., but most medical doctors use doctor like most married folks use Mr. or Mrs. - most PhDs do not.

Thank you for articulating my point better than I can..

Seems many keep jumping on the "right" to use, or not use...That wasn't my OP question. I asked if people saw it as a social norm to insist the use well outside of any professional environment. As others suggested, in the case of Jill Biden the title is used 100% of the time when her name is used in speech or writing. It is strange to see an article say Dr. Jill Biden...as example.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

And you are the apparently the perfect example of a leftist who went to DefCon1 over the possibility that the press used Jill Biden's credentials to smooth over Joe Biden's mental state by implying she was a medical doctor and not a PhD in the use the doctor.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
When i was in the Military i was older than most when i joined .
26 and they were 18 maybe 19 i was called Agent Orange.
LOL guess you can guess my last name.
on topic i despise a self righteous prick who doesn't know crap
and expects to be called Doctor.
a reply to: Xtrozero

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

are you talking about me?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Its pretentious.
In my opinion.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Maybe because she is always referred to as Doctor Jill Biden...100% of the time... As I said I have seen Doctor used in professional environments, but not outside in the general public in a general sense unless the person is a real medical doctor. We routinely see the term Doctor and Professor used in that general sense as they are both attached to profession and not just a degree.

So yes, if a person is referred to as doctor as they are talking as an expert on a subject in a professional situation about something none medical then I do not think they are a medical doctor. Now if a person is constantly referred to as doctor in the general sense I just assume they are medical.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

are you talking about me?

Damn... You got me, but it took you 6 pages to figure it out.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

But yet, the screeching idiots on the View thought she should be Surgeon General.... clearly the average leftist is equating her doctorate with a medical doctorate which is why they keep saying Dr. Jill Biden.

Lol that is funny even if she was a medical doctor...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join