It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you all feel about people using Dr. as their primary honorific title but are not a doctor?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The media does. How many times have you heard them refer to Jill Biden as a doctor, and that's her doctorate.

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: uncommitted

If you have a doctorate then people are perfectly entitled to use it, a lot don't.

So you can't go to jail...lol

That wasn't my question... I didn't ask if you could use it... I asked if you saw it as normal for people to use it as their title when they only have a PhD and are not actually using it in careers that you might see the title used. As I said I'm around a lot of PhDs and none use it, as example, so I find it strange when someone does and they are not a physician where it is used as part of their profession, just as the title professor is used in acidemia.

Doesn't stop you going to jail, history proves that often.

Your question was really I think - are you being a little uptight if someone is using their hard earned honorific? I'd say you are.

I find it more laughable when on ATS people think a very limp video/source material is from a 'former colonel/intelligence agent/member of CIA/Spy' etc., etc., as though that makes their opinion automatically validated even though they are several years removed as well as having zero context as to the subject under discussion. Plenty on here seem to love them, mind.

link   

originally posted by: okrian
plenty of people with PhDs are introduced as Dr., especially in professional circumstances.

I think a good number of people have suggested just this...For people in certain professional circumstances it is used but they don't go around with the title of doctor all the time and while no longer in their profession.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The media does. How many times have you heard them refer to Jill Biden as a doctor, and that's her doctorate.

Because she's entitled to use it - what's your beef with it?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
I make everyone call me Master according to my degree. Most people of color don’t appreciate it.

Considering Elton John could never even pick up a broadsword yet is considered a Knight.

But the queen knighted him... Sir John, ya I don't think the people on my team would like to call me Master either...lol

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I recall it being convenient when there were questions about Biden's mental state. Suddenly Jill was a "doctor" in the press and she could be trusted to know what was in her husband's best interests.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Its just a matter of celebration and eMy only question is why would you care?

A social question in what people do or experience in the sense of if you all see it as a norm for people wanting to use a title as part of their name when they are not in a professional environment where it would make the most sense, and how do you feel about someone that does this?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

That is because they are trying to elevate her credentials.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I recall it being convenient when there were questions about Biden's mental state. Suddenly Jill was a "doctor" in the press and she could be trusted to know what was in her husband's best interests.

Then the media probably was inaccurate to do so. That alters nothing, a GP doctor shouldn't really be using that prefix to give answers on a very detailed level about - lets say neurology - unless that was an area they had specific education in, but I'm fairly sure such scenarios happen.

It still counts for nothing and seems to be a lot of whining. A little earlier in this thread someone who's doctorate was non medical said they only used their title in academic areas as it would convey their education and the fact they are basing their views on considered thinking IMHO.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That is because they are trying to elevate her credentials.

You know that having a doctorate conveys upon you the right to use the honorific doctor don't you?

This is a really sad thread now.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Ummm..."I am...entitled...

Which is precisely the premise of the thread...

Well along the same token, are people entitled that call themselves Mrs. after they are married?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

So I take it if you had a PhD in anything, you'd insist on being called doctor everywhere, by everyone, all the time?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Do chiropractors count?

Asking for a friend.

Only if a happy ending is part of it...A friend told me this...

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We can be, but I don't often insist on it. I don't walk around going "That's Mrs. So-And-So to you ..."

The only places where I've insisted on it are places where the formality was expected or needed.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Just because society has become accustomed to one type doctor does not negate its full and correct usage, definition.

Meaning/definition of doctor/doctorate:

1a Christianity : an eminent theologian declared a sound expounder of doctrine by the Roman Catholic Church
— called also doctor of the church
b : a learned or authoritative teacher
c : a person who has earned one of the highest academic degrees (such as a PhD) conferred by a university
Most of the college's faculty members are doctors in their fields.
d : a person awarded an honorary doctorate (such as an LLD or Litt D) by a college or university
2a : a person skilled or specializing in healing arts especially : one (such as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice
b : MEDICINE MAN
3a : material added (as to food) to produce a desired effect
b : a blade (as of metal) for spreading a coating or scraping a surface
4 : a person who restores, repairs, or fine-tunes things

Thank you Dr. Annee...that wasn't my question...I didn't ask who could be called a doctor, I asked if you saw it as a norm for someone to use that title not in any profession that we might typically see it, so just the title because they have a PhD.

As you listed above a number of people have suggested that their experience is only in the professional environment is Doctor used as a title outside of the medical practice, and it seems you examples above go along those lines too. C. is interesting since the term professor is used more as the norm as most have their PhD.

Hence my sarcastic example to buy a PhD degree based on my life experiences..
edit on 15-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I don't try to police what other people call themselves.

I have better things to do.

That wasn't my question...I asked if you saw it as a norm, or do you see it more negative for someone to use a title that isn't part of their professional life.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Annee

Just because society has become accustomed to one type doctor does not negate its full and correct usage, definition.

Meaning/definition of doctor/doctorate:

1a Christianity : an eminent theologian declared a sound expounder of doctrine by the Roman Catholic Church
— called also doctor of the church
b : a learned or authoritative teacher
c : a person who has earned one of the highest academic degrees (such as a PhD) conferred by a university
Most of the college's faculty members are doctors in their fields.
d : a person awarded an honorary doctorate (such as an LLD or Litt D) by a college or university
2a : a person skilled or specializing in healing arts especially : one (such as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice
b : MEDICINE MAN
3a : material added (as to food) to produce a desired effect
b : a blade (as of metal) for spreading a coating or scraping a surface
4 : a person who restores, repairs, or fine-tunes things

Thank you Dr. Annee...that wasn't my question...I didn't ask who could be called a doctor, I asked if you saw it as a norm for someone to use that title not in any profession that we might typically see it, so just the title because they have a PhD.

As you listed above a number of people have suggested that their experience is only in the professional environment is Doctor used as a title outside of the medical practice, and it seems you examples above go along those lines too. C. is interesting since the term professor is used more as the norm as most have their PhD.

Hence my sarcastic example to buy a PhD degree based on my life experiences..

It’s been answered. You just don’t like the answer.

Or, you choose the ones you like.

Society custom does not dictate that a person who has earned a doctorate should not use it.

edit on 15-12-2020 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

So I take it if you had a PhD in anything, you'd insist on being called doctor everywhere, by everyone, all the time?

Probably not, but then I'm not in the public eye. If I was asked to comment on something and it was appropriate, then yes. Why wouldn't I?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

No one gives a flip about an doctorate in education. Sorry.

In the Air Force as an officer you must complete your masters as a Major to make the next rank LTC. Those master degrees are online 99% of the time with not a lot of effort...Done to fill a block for promotion and in many cases educational PhDs are kind of the same, done to fill a block for their profession. When I'm talking/working with a PhD from MIT they are something totally different and at times people give them the title Doctor out of sheer respect.

edit on 15-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Probably not, but then I'm not in the public eye. If I was asked to comment on something and it was appropriate, then yes. Why wouldn't I?

So in other words, you would conform to the norms most of us have already expressed. You would not insist that people generally call doctor so-and-so everywhere you go like most people refer to actual medical doctors. You would typically possibly sign it as part of your credentials or perhaps be introduced to a professional conference that way, etc., but most medical doctors use doctor like most married folks use Mr. or Mrs. - most PhDs do not.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join