It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you all feel about people using Dr. as their primary honorific title but are not a doctor?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It’s simple, If you’re not a doctor for me you’re not getting called doctor by me.
Does a judge expect everyone in his personal life to say “your honor” when addressing them?

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Seriously, though, if someone has put in the work of getting a doctorate, I have no problem with them calling themselves doctor. I can understand why they may not want to, though. "Ma'am, my doctorate is in art history. I can't tell you a thing about that boil on your butt."

Maybe if you are in that primary role, and a leader in that field, that is how I have seen it used... I think people should give you that title out of respect or it has the same value as King of Pop, as example.

edit on 14-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I thought everyone was suppose to be called whatever they identified as?

I can’t keep up with all the rules

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

It’s simple, If you’re not a doctor for me you’re not getting called doctor by me.
Does a judge expect everyone in his personal life to say “your honor” when addressing them?

I agree...If my neighbor told me to call him Dr. Smith I would say OK Bob... I do call my medical doctor ...Doc...

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric
I thought everyone was suppose to be called whatever they identified as?

I can’t keep up with all the rules

Good luck the rules change daily...lol

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It is probably your industry.

Yes I worked with a lot of Drs that were not medical.
I would say half wanted to be called Dr. formally and half didn’t. There was no rhyme or reason to it.
For the ones that wanted to be called it seemed to really mean something to them.
I remember a former boss that once said under hear breath that she didn’t go to
School all those years for them to not address her properly. She was truly a genius.
She had numerous patents and was one of the hardest workers I’ve ever met in my life.
I think she deserved the title.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I would say half wanted to be called Dr. formally and half didn’t. There was no rhyme or reason to it.
For the ones that wanted to be called it seemed to really mean something to them.
School all those years for them to not address her properly. She was truly a genius.
She had numerous patents and was one of the hardest workers I’ve ever met in my life.

What career field are you talking about?

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   

The person I was talking about was from
Big Pharma, but was not a medical Dr.
I’ve also worked in banking and knew some people that wanted their
Title used. I have many friends in education, some want to be called Dr. some don’t.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
It is probably your industry.

My experience is related to medical field but not medicine. I work with a lot of nurses and people in biomedical sciences that achieve PhD status and I will say 80% of them are adamant in been called Dr.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I have a PhD in a liberal arts field - adult education. I work in business, so most people don’t have their PhD in my company and most don’t know I have it. I do, however, get a bit offended when it’s looked to as inferior. We both use the scientific method as well as rigorous statistical analysis. A dissertation is obviously different than what MD or DO have to do with their exams, but one is studying existing knowledge and one is creating new knowledge.

At any rate, I don’t usually have issues with others going by dr, but I also do find it to be as you say, compensating for something. I use mine in conferences specific to academia or research and never outside of that.

Funny thing is after completing the doctorate, the only time I am addressed as dr outside of academia is when they are asking for money... lol! So often times if I here “dr rook” I just politely say I’m not interested or you’ve got the wrong guy

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Ain't nothin' but a g thang baby!

Wait, wrong doctor? Nvm

Oh man I really want to quote the next line!
But I like me being not banned.

link   

I would call it pretentious...

Funny fact about my German neighbors...they really stand on their titles.

Which results in writing emails that have openings like:

Frau Prof. Dr. Dr. or Dir. U. Prof. A. D. Dr.

And if you miss a title it is considered an insult....

Peace

link   
Dr. Gates earned his title by inventing a vaccine that contains future surprises for those who are injected with it.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Oh man I really want to quote the next line!
But I like me being not banned.

Really?

You do know it is almost 2021...lol Hell I'm a boomer, and I know...

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
If you earn it — you have the right to use it.

The “earner” should not be responsible for the root cause of words and meanings.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Dr. Gates earned his title by inventing a vaccine that contains future surprises for those who are injected with it.

I'm going to give it a few billion and 5 years of testing them before I'm ready...lol Or well until Netflix says I need to vaccine card to watch...

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

The “earner” should not be responsible for the root cause of words and meanings.

Damn I'm a Dr, now!

HOW TO BUY PHD DEGREE CERTIFICATE OR HONORARY DOCTORATE
Enroll-buy your PhD Doctorate degree, and we'll handle the rest. Guaranteed the best quality on the planet. Provide 8-10 years of degree-major relevant experience for our exclusive "University PhD degree, and Honorary Degree programs based on what you already know" or, if you're choosing our custom Doctorate degree program

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Annee

Damn I'm a Dr, now!

HOW TO BUY PHD DEGREE CERTIFICATE OR HONORARY DOCTORATE
Enroll-buy your PhD Doctorate degree, and we'll handle the rest. Guaranteed the best quality on the planet. Provide 8-10 years of degree-major relevant experience for our exclusive "University PhD degree, and Honorary Degree programs based on what you already know" or, if you're choosing our custom Doctorate degree program

You qualify that as earning it?

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   
When I was in university, we called our professors "Doctor". I don't recall any of them asking us to - it was just standard procedure.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Seriously, though, if someone has put in the work of getting a doctorate, I have no problem with them calling themselves doctor. I can understand why they may not want to, though. "Ma'am, my doctorate is in art history. I can't tell you a thing about that boil on your butt."

Maybe if you are in that primary role, and a leader in that field, that is how I have seen it used... I think people should give you that title out of respect or it has the same value as King of Pop, as example.

Yeah, for some people it can be a bit of an ego thing.

As I said, I can appreciate the fact that someone put in the work and got the degree. But that doesn't necessarily make them a better human being. For example, calling Josef Mengele Dr. Mengele doesn't make me respect him in any way.

When I was in the Navy there was a LTJG that, let's say, annoyed me. Instead of addressing him as lieutenant or sir, I made it a point to address him as junior grade lieutenant whenever possible, with a strong emphasis on word junior. He knew exactly what I thought of him and his rank, and I became very familiar the the maintenance of the CHT pumps on that ship.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join