It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you all feel about people using Dr. as their primary honorific title but are not a doctor?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It depends on what you're looking to get that in. Some programs are more common and easier. EdDs are really common because teachers' pay scales are linked to their level of education - bachelors, masters, doctorate. So they make it pretty easy to get the advanced work since most are working while they take the courses and do the research.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It depends on what you're looking to get that in. Some programs are more common and easier. EdDs are really common because teachers' pay scales are linked to their level of education - bachelors, masters, doctorate. So they make it pretty easy to get the advanced work since most are working while they take the courses and do the research.

As I said in other posts... a EdD in many cases is a fill in the box event, just as a masters is in the military to make rank. Minimal effort to get the box filler...

I agree some are crazy hard that even 1% of masters could not accomplish, and the few that do actually have their thesis published in the end.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
In SA registered traditional healers and "witchdoctors" can call themselves Doctors and write out sick-notes.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The Jill Biden thing was my fault because I honestly thought it was what you were referring to because I'd seen it crop up.

Apparently some guy wrote an Op-Ed wondering why she went around insisting on it when most other PhDs do not as has been discussed here, and the left is going all ridiculous over it as some form of misogyny when the discussion is a valid one.

It isn’t just the Left.

It is getting ridiculous dividing EVERYTHING in left & right.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Says the anti-traditionalist who just in another thread divided everything traditional onto "the right".

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I wouldn't want anyone selling me bait unless he's a Master-baitor.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Says the anti-traditionalist who just in another thread divided everything traditional onto "the right".

Does it resemble you?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Dr Kissinger? Dr Gorka?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

The Jill Biden thing was my fault because I honestly thought it was what you were referring to because I'd seen it crop up.

Apparently some guy wrote an Op-Ed wondering why she went around insisting on it when most other PhDs do not as has been discussed here, and the left is going all ridiculous over it as some form of misogyny when the discussion is a valid one.

It isn’t just the Left.

I agree with you on this. I know both of us have used the term for lack of better words but I’m not a big fan of the whole “left” and “right” paradigm either. I absolutely despise labeling in general, although I’m guilty of it myself at times.

“Nuts” and “nucking futs” would be a better description. 🤪

Have a good Xmas Annee!

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

It isn’t just the Left.

I agree with you on this. I know both of us have used the term for lack of better words but I’m not a big fan of the whole “left” and “right” paradigm either. I absolutely despise labeling in general, although I’m guilty of it myself at times.

“Nuts” and “nucking futs” would be a better description. 🤪

Have a good Xmas Annee!

You have a good Xmas too.

I’ve switched to Traditional & non-Traditional. To me it makes sense. That doesn’t mean it will for everyone.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Wanting to be something they're not. False status to look more important than they are. Especially when they get offended for not being called doctor. More or less an internet tough guy.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I say, as a person. Who taught from Me. high up thru HS, into college/University and was offered the deanship to a college in my mid 20s (after finishing school as a kid and college early enough that my first year teaching high school, it was a toss up as to if a kid was older than I or not. I don't buy the whole those letters just mean you spent all the more time being programmed. I love education I can't get enough learning in life and talking with a master of any field, this includes PhDs in History of Lesbian Dance Theory as well as Theoretical Quantum Physics, if fascinating even if you thought you cared nothing about the topic. It's contagious to listen to passionate people and that goes for a sex master but also a Doctor of Anthropology specializing in the language of Navajo Blankets and the neighboring tribes belief of the Kachina.

People really need at this point in time more than ever, really make a firm stance in what they hope for their direct lines or family's line in the year 2500. We Re at a crossroads and unlike the whole musical issue between generations you can use as an analogy when talking changes in society in time where it's not at all true that Ella and Billie were better than the garbage Elvis or Checker, or while their fans' parents just didn't get it the Zepplin, Fleetwood, Astley, Toto, Pumpkins, and Cranberries to come were actually trash. Music once tuning and notation began to be expressed in a singular notation started a 500 year long dream that I could definitely look at and agree yup....ohhhh yes we are for sure figments of the imagination of some got out there having a dream. Throughout its entire pretty much existence since musical notation and theory was homogenized, although you could call a little hiccup when the whole argument began and was pretty much settled in the 1890s 1891 I'm pretty certain of how we would continue on with via just or pure intonation / temperament... But it seems that no matter what Adrian decade you look at it was just my God wonderful.

That is until you come to about the year 2000 to 2005. Somewhere in there there was a serious decline in quality and that's not speaking vis-à-vis opinions or feelings we're talkin the actual disruption of the very geometry behind music which makes it pleasing to the ear and tones at specific frequencies which resonate with human feelings and stuff. That just disappeared and it seems and thres no ironic genius thing that's artistic or experimental in it's disappearing it it's absolute filth and garbage and she says the attention that it gets nowadays which is just worldwide going crazy over the Katy Perry's in the and I can't I can't even tell you a second one. This is my wet vagina girl thing I don't know her name... it's music which is shouted at them through every avenue of social media and television suck so there's only one there's only one popular music genre and then also it's because the average Millennial and Generation Z member is absolute best at their very best I have to offer is a simpleton and their average is for sure moronic complete morons didn't know absolutely nothing. You can look at it just told crossroads like that there's a definite with the things that we're deciding on nowadays there's a definite decline and a definite incline that have nothing to do with opinion and I say that and this whole expert PhD people who loves education and learning that's gone that mean that's here bang it barely hanging on by a thread and I for one think about something absolutely pivotal to society and that will just bring about absolute ruin to us all if it's going to go away faster than it would otherwise have which it is going to happen anyways since we got I guess we are already deciding that the internet and total connection was a good thing even though I can't see anything but how how long is life has become from the heaven on Earth it was before in the eighties when we were connected to anything and you had to go to main Street to take care of things not one store we're getting rid of paper money and that one surprises me the most because of the Bible thousands of years ago whether it's because it happened into a 2 another age of humanity so they're warning us because of that or honestly it was divinely inspired there was time travel involved the message more than anything that those ancients wanted to pass down is Revelations message that hey the second you go to an economy without physical money you know when it's going to be linked to some kind of biological implant or tattoo that you are it's over it's all over if you're a slave there's no getting out of it and if they had the sense to come up with that back then somehow the fact that we just throwing it away I suppose it judeo Christian countries to I'm when even though the financiers and all the economic experts are are pretty much not to go that way and we all know every single one of us with any sense knows exactly what society without paper money looks like and I'm talkin I'd even be happy to stick with fractional Reserve lending currency which is already the second most evil thing that's ever been perpetrated on mankind but I digress the point is these kids nowadays they're so empty they have no appreciation for anything and education is probably the one thing I would hope we can salvage any interest in and stuff like doctor yeah I'm totally okay with that one because it links us the thousands and thousands and thousands of years of tradition all way back in and Sumer they have titles relating to doctor or barber same thing back then it's something they also that people are in people deserve it and they should be able to use it all they want without any kickback I in fact I don't think honorary doctors should because that's just ridiculous they've done nothing to earn that except you're probably giving away .00 3% of their billion dollar net worth is usually the people who get those honorary doctorates so yeah I'm all the people that it's really surprising in fact to read all these people that don't appreciate that kind of thing because it's one of last things hanging on by a thread that we know for a fact of Millennials in his ears are going to get rid of it as soon as they have any control over anything and it's those last few steps which are going to combine with the whole world wide New World Order give us the hell on Earth or well I mean Orwellian Hell on Earth the biblical hell on Earth Dystopian Hell on Earth all those things that every single age of of literature and and sciences has warned us about that were running toward it and now we even have a generation that's begging big brother to come on down and ends in nestled into the man's chest for security because I guess they see trillion-dollar conglomerates for the first time in history as being the obvious people who have their best interest in mind and would never lie to them yeah hell in a handbasket folks and this is just one thing that no it's got to stick here because if nothing's going to stay stick in here then it's going to be the world of the Millennials give us and we see what that in Chaz Portland Baltimore....I'd rather move to hell and take my chances.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBoomersRBusted

Dr Kissinger? Dr Gorka?

You going to randomly throw out names...lol

To be honest Gorka has been slammed for his PhD too, so not sure your point there. Seems he also got his on the easy path and uses it as credentials as a media contributor.

Kissinger got his from Harvard, so we can assume very legit. He also, as been said a number of times, worked within his profession for a very long time and that is where he is titled Dr. much like an engineer would within their profession...

edit on 17-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

I think AlexandrosTheGreat just dropped the mic....

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I don't care but don't get huffy if I don't address it

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Wow! Ummm......come again?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Maybe so. However in the same way not all Bachelor's degrees are equal. I can do a part time science degree through the Open University without previous qualifications or I can go to an established academic institution with hundreds of years of history. I still have the right to put BSc after my name if I want. Some Masters can be completed in a year or some may take 5, but the recipient can still have MSc/MA as a post nominal.

The person who has earned a doctorate has earned the right to be called Doctor or refer to themselves as such if they so choose.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Does it resemble you?

You probably think it does. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a missing sex worker to locate in the video game I'm playing.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

That’s a lot.

Can you break it down?

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Knock knock?
Who's there?
Doctor.
Doctor who?

The way I see it doctor should be given to medical practitioners, you don't hear of a doctor of paleontology 'this dinosaur is extinct, I need 10cc of anti asteroid stat'

Titles are impersonal, it's just acknowledgment most I believe would be known by their actual name, I go my dr Scott I resist the urge to say 'he's dead jim

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join