It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you all feel about people using Dr. as their primary honorific title but are not a doctor?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This is a simple question in how do people feel about others who have a PhD, maybe not even in a STEM degree to use Dr. as their primary honorific title? I work with about 20 PhDs in engineering and none ever use this. There are many Doctors like Ben Carson who was a top neurosurgeon that he and even the media didn't use his title once he retired from the medical field. It seems people who may use it in degrees such as liberal arts are only doing so to compensate for something.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I'm secure enough in myself and my own abilities that I could give a damn about it. I'm not threatened by a doctor using that title, as long as they aren't falsely claiming to be a medical doctor.

Like that goofy veterinarian that goes on Coast to Coast AM to shill his ridiculously expensive vitamins.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
This is a simple question in how do people feel about others who have a PhD, maybe not even in a STEM degree to use Dr. as their primary honorific title? I work with about 20 PhDs in engineering and none ever use this. There are many Doctors like Ben Carson who was a top neurosurgeon that he and even the media didn't use his title once he retired from the medical field. It seems people who may use it in degrees such as liberal arts are only doing so to compensate for something.

What do you mean "not a doctor"?

You mean the difference between MD (Doctor of Medicine) and PhD (Doctor of philosophy)?

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

The only PhD's i've met were my teachers at school and some people I met while working on the first project i did after I finished school. Most of them were biologists, one was a rocket scientist, a couple geologists and stuff. None ever introduced themselves as Dr. So and so, I can't think of any that even wrote it in emails or formal settings. If the did anything they wrote PhD after their name on formal stuff.

We used to call one teacher Dr. then use his first name for fun. But mostly just to bug him. It embarrassed him and from my experience, the people who probably should be called doctors, like the really awesome PhD people i've met, who aren't medical doctors don't like to be called doctor. The ones that seem do are the kinds of people who like to use their title to seem.important.

Actually...no...there was one guy... He's an asshole. He's done some #ty things and was pretty full of himself. He stole money from a non profit. He introduced himself as Dr. though...he's a reptile expert...
edit on 14/12/2020 by dug88 because: Took out his name because...I guess I shouldn't...but if you're curious. He cowrote Amphibians and Reptiles of British Columbia... his name starts with a 'B'...

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I’m more concerned with him demanding I call him her.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

You mean the difference between MD (Doctor of Medicine) and PhD (Doctor of philosophy)?

Not a medical doctor... When on a plane and someone screams is there a doctor on board who says yes? My question is how many people do you know who might have a PhD and use the honorific title doctor when addressed?

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I have an honorary doctorate and never use the title.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Why does it bother you?

I don’t care about titles but if someone wants to be called something I have no problem with it.
Maybe it means a lot to them.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

But but, I thought that was the English translation of Ahab.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   
When someone receives their doctorate degree, they can refer to themselves as doctor or teacher in Latin. This means you have learned enough information that you can teach it. Most uninformed people think doctor means medical professional. Most academics know better and have no problem.
edit on 14-12-2020 by illusion987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Ain't nothin' but a g thang baby!

Wait, wrong doctor? Nvm

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Not a medical doctor... When on a plane and someone screams is there a doctor on board who says yes? My question is how many people do you know who might have a PhD and use the honorific title doctor when addressed?

I dont know anyone with a a PhD that prefers to referred to as doctor, however if a coworker who holds a PhD decides that's what he/she'd like, then that's what I'd do, despite none of them being MD holders.

I think you have in your mind some idea of who is qualified to be called a doctor and per US law both MD and PhD are.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

The only PhD's i've met were my teachers at school and some people I met while working on the first project i did after I finished school. Most of them were biologists, one was a rocket scientist, a couple geologists and stuff. None ever introduced themselves as Dr. So and so, I can't think of any that even wrote it in emails or formal settings. If the did anything they wrote PhD after their name on formal stuff.

I have seen PhD a good amount in signature blocks, but when speaking to them you don't hear John Smith PhD unless they are a dweeb maybe...

We used to call one teacher Dr. then use his first name for fun. But mostly just to bug him. It embarrassed him and from my experience, the people who probably should be called doctors, like the really awesome PhD people i've met, who aren't medical doctors don't like to be called doctor. The ones that seem do are the kinds of people who like to use their title to seem.important.

I think some people who are leaders in their career fields are called doctor ...as respect from their peers who may also have a PhD. I know one person like this who was called Doctor Rat for short... Everyone called him this, he was The chief engineer of a company of many PhDs.

Actually...no...there was one guy... He's an asshole. He's done some #ty things and was pretty full of himself. He stole money from a non profit. He introduced himself as Dr. though...he's a reptile expert...

As I said I think people who do this are compensating for something... Kind of when you give yourself a title and others didn't give it to you... Remember King of Pop...lol

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I have no problem with the liberal use of the title "Doctor"

I do have a problem with John Cena calling himself the Doctor of Thuganomics. If I could see him, I'd tell him so.

However, I do have a problem with people calling themselves captain unless they are an actual captain. Except, of course, for Cap'n Crunch.

Seriously, though, if someone has put in the work of getting a doctorate, I have no problem with them calling themselves doctor. I can understand why they may not want to, though. "Ma'am, my doctorate is in art history. I can't tell you a thing about that boil on your butt."

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
I'm secure enough in myself and my own abilities that I could give a damn about it. I'm not threatened by a doctor using that title, as long as they aren't falsely claiming to be a medical doctor.

Like that goofy veterinarian that goes on Coast to Coast AM to shill his ridiculously expensive vitamins.

I personal think people are medical doctors when I hear it....lol

I'm kind of tempted...then everyone here must call me Dr. Xtrozero I want one of the easy ones...not doing a STEM...

Easiest PhD and Shortest Doctoral Programs Online

Ph.D., or Doctor of Philosophy, programs are available in a variety of subject areas. Institutions that offer the best programs typically have exceptional funding, research, facilities and resources. When choosing one of the shortest doctoral programs or easiest Ph.D. programs, request info from each school to find out how each school rates on the above criteria.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlbatrossMaker
I’m more concerned with him demanding I call him her.

True...I mess up and not on purpose...then people get pissed.. I'm like sorry damn it was so easy in the 80s...

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Why does it bother you?

I don’t care about titles but if someone wants to be called something I have no problem with it.
Maybe it means a lot to them.

Maybe...just as question of if you know anyone... that is all... I work in a very engineering heavy career and like I said it is never used.
edit on 14-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: illusion987
When someone receives their doctorate degree, they can refer to themselves as doctor or teacher in Latin. This means you have learned enough information that you can teach it. Most uninformed people think doctor means medical professional. Most academics know better and have no problem.

Ya ya we know what wiki says...lol

I know what it means...lol geez...I was asking more of a social based question in whether you see it personally used outside of medical doctors, or with people trying to inflate their status in someway, typically not for the good.

I'm around a lot of PhDs and it is not used... just saying.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Nope, biblically Ahab was the seventh king of Israel and the husband of Jezebel. Literary would of course be Capt Ahab in Moby Dick.

For me, it is Allen Herbert Amos Brown...but that is a boring story.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I think you have in your mind some idea of who is qualified to be called a doctor and per US law both MD and PhD are.

I have nothing in my mind... I was asking if YOU and others see it as a norm where you are at...I don't and many I know could...I think they see it a little pompous or some over reaching status symbol when their work stands on their own merit and they do not need it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join