It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what is the limit?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — One of two Chinese warplanes intruding into Taiwan’s Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) Saturday (Dec. 12) was just 103 kilometers from Hengchun in Pingtung County. The first intrusion occurred at 10:19 a.m., but it was the second plane, at 1:38 p.m. that attracted even more attention, the Liberty Times reported. The aircraft was flying at a relatively low altitude of 1,700 meters, and its closest point to Taiwan’s main island was 56 nautical miles (103 km) from Hengchun, a town that includes the country’s third nuclear power plant and the popular beach resort of Kenting. According to air traffic tracking websites, the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) plane spent about one hour in the area. Saturday’s incidents marked the 11th day in December that Chinese warplanes entered Taiwan’s ADIZ, mostly from the southwest, and the 28th time this month that Taiwan’s Air Force needed to issue radio warnings.
www.taiwannews.com.tw...

So, the question is... what is the limit? Why not light a fire under this plane's a**? We all know what happens if threats go unanswered. I'm not saying that the Taiwan Air Force should have shot the plane down. But I am saying that they should have given it a bit more "incentive" to leave the area. Otherwise, the CCP will see it as a gradual erosion of US/Taiwan power - and as encouragement.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think if they had done anything hostile to help the plane leave it would have been an excuse for China to move in.

This is definitely an act of provocation.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: fomalhaut

The ADIZ is still international airspace. They have every right to be in it, but will provoke a reaction being there.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   

China won't touch mainland Taiwan.

Because they could not hold the island for any length of time.

And chances are a 3rd world war could materialize should any American carriers get sunk over stupid saber rattling.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: fomalhaut
Otherwise, the CCP will see it as a gradual erosion of US/Taiwan power - and as encouragement.

Woah, hold up there. Let's not bring the US into this. We'd like to help, and all that, but we're not in any shape to do anything about it.

According to CNN, we're dropping like flies in the streets because of Covid. We can't leave our houses or we'll all die. Maybe Australia can help you out.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom
I'm an American living in Taiwan. I'd love to see the Taiwanese defend themselves against the CCP. However, giving the rapidly aging population here and the delusion among the folks here that an all volunteer military is feasible given the fact that an enemy is literally breathing down Taiwan's neck, I'm not holding my breath. So, why is it any sweat off of the US's back? Glad you brought that up. Nixon and Kissinger, RIP, opened that can of worms. I guess Kissinger is still marginally alive due to some deal with the devil.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I'm sure you're aware that the ADIZ in the Taiwan Strait was set up following the Third Taiwan Strait Crisis from 1995 to 1996 in order to avoid situations that China seems hell-bent on provoking in the present.

For those not in the know, in 1995, Taiwan was preparing for its first democratic presidential election. The president at the time, Lee Teng-hui, although being appointed by an authoritarian government, paved the way for free and democratic elections. He was also running for the office in the first democratic election in Taiwan (1996). His alma mater, Cornell University, invited him to give a speech in the US. Clinton, knowing China's response, refused. The Republican led legislature forced his hand an Lee was allowed to give the speech in the US. China threw a bigger hissy-fit than a three year old in a candy shop that has just been told that he can't have any candy. They shot missiles near Taiwan and diverted passenger ships and aircraft away from the island. Clinton was forced to send a battle group into the Taiwan Strait. Then, and only then, did the CCP back down. All of this is a matter of historical record. Now the baby is an adolescent.
edit on 12/12/2020 by fomalhaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Which doesn't change that they have the right to fly into it. They'll get intercepted, but they have as much right as anyone else to be in it. It's only a problem if they do something stupid, or enter their national airspace.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is china testing boundaries again, probably waiting to see what the US response is. Taiwan are taking the relaxed approach as usual.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
If I were a robot, I'd agree. But it's a tiny symbol of a much larger problem. China is doing this as a psy-op to try to wear down Taiwan's resolve. Also, I think they hope Taiwan will down one of their planes to justify an invasion on the international stage. I mean - if China is happy, Americans will continue to receive their trinkets from Amazon on time. Who cares if a prisoner-slave made it. It was a bargain after all. And if Taiwan fires first - well it was their fault. Americans would be absolved of any modicum of guilt they might have felt, if any at all. Sorry if I sound cynical.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Catch_a_Fire
Taiwan is secretly scared shi*less. They know they can only prolong the obvious without outside help. It is not a relaxed approach - rather the only approach they can take to avoid war.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Wasnt it recently announced, although quietly, that they are now allied with the US..... as in..... officially. I think theres a bit of quiet confidence in there also.

They wont want conflict but will be well prepared for it..... Taiwan are quite handy when it comes down to the gritty.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Catch_a_Fire
Moves by the US Congress have been reassuring as of late. But they recently pulled back on a visit by a US official. It seems even the Trump admin is wary of upsetting the toddler in the room. There is still no "set in stone" agreement that commits US forces to defend Taiwan in the event of an attack by China. Also, keep in mind that China is literally within spitting distance of Taiwan. The US could throw up its hands and say "we tried" even if they gave a half-arsed effort to defend Taiwan.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
On the other hand, if China does launch an attack on Taiwan and the US intervenes, it could quickly spiral into WW III or an apocalyptic scenario. Damn those capitalists who were hoping that prospering off of China's workforce would lead to a democratic China. Or maybe they didn't give a damn in the first place, so long as they made a profit.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Maybe Great Britain can help them out. They are the ones that gave it back to mainland China.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Well, our "Lease" did run out.

Ken they things with terms and agreements?

What would you have had us do claim no back backers?

International law is International law.
edit on 12-12-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Huh?

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

So why does everyone think the US should do anything about it?

We tried to stem the spread of Communism in Korea and Vietnam and look what that got us.
edit on 12-12-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Who's everyone?

That being said, who do we know that likes to Police the world and also has goods, services, and trade, with Taiwan, worth and estimated or around $103.9 billion doll-hairs?

The Pacific Ocean, Taiwan Straits, is pretty much your dept these days, empires being what they are.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

As to communism, well tomayto, tomahto.

And who is we?

No matter the system of governance, the bankers and corporations prevail, that should tell you something right there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join