It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the office dead?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

That could lead to an interesting new facet of the gig economy. Studies have shown that workers are more efficient when they're not tied to the 9-5-5 days/week model.

People could take a number of different contract jobs that require them to complete a certain amount each week and allow them to complete it on their schedule. Of course this assumes there aren't non-compete clauses. It also assumes there's a substitute for things one normally needs from a full-time job (ie health insurance.)

It would let people pick the level of wealth they wish to achieve vs. amount of work they're willing to do and potentially give companies a more efficient work force.

I was laid off back in March of 2020 and did exactly this until work ran out in August. I never worked contracts before so it was interesting. I made a bit more doing that as opposed to fulltime work. It was the job security that concerned me and not knowing if I was going to have consistent work.

I got a really good job offer in Kansas so I left Michigan at the end of August and I have never looked back. I rented the smallest U-Haul trailer I could find and what didn't fit, I tossed the rest. I still don't have any living room furniture. I go into the office here in Kansas but most of the office does work remote.

The only draw back is I know no one here. My biggest night out is going to Costco. Other than that, I am all alone. Its the drawback of being introverted. Still leaving that blue state for a red state is like night and day. In Kansas they are concerned about Covid-19 but they have not lost their ever loving minds like that crazy Michigan Governor or any of the other blue states.

We don't even have a mask order here but everywhere I go people are wearing them. Citizens are not stupid and do not need a nanny state but the leftists will be leftists. The Governor issued the order but counties can opt out. Still, people are not stupid.

I wonder what will happen to NY. That is the office capital of America. Between the blue state taxes, Covid-19 and the free for all crime, I would be surprised if that city came back anywhere near where it was.
edit on 13-12-2020 by BastogneFoxHole because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Let's all be careful - if the work can be done remotely it can be offshored - and yes they will.

But yes, places like Chicago will probably never recover.

Add in things like flying Ubers and it's pretty much over.

People will always have the need to connect with others so SOMETHING is going to replace it. Maybe a virtual world where you can have what seems to be physical connections?

This will probably usher in a new virtual reality. Yeah Games spend money but not the type of money companies can spend.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

That is amazing!!!!

Do we have anything like that in the united states?

We might as office space dries up... I can see pot farms.. Big money secured building...

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

The end of cities would be great.

Less roads, less buildings, less concrete everywhere.
I can only dream to see that in my life time.

That could materialize in America as it is a really big country, but others don't have a land space to do it unless we have serious population reduction. Might not be the vison you are looking for though...lol

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BastogneFoxHole

The only draw back is I know no one here. My biggest night out is going to Costco. Other than that, I am all alone. Its the drawback of being introverted. Still leaving that blue state for a red state is like night and day. In Kansas they are concerned about Covid-19 but they have not lost their ever loving minds like that crazy Michigan Governor or any of the other blue states.

You need to try dating through social media. Its all about the number of meetings to find someone you want to have a relationship with. I had one guy work for me that did some on line dating where you meet for like 20 mins total no matter what and then you can go back and say whether you want a second date. He would meet 15 different women in a weekend doing this. Today he is happily married to one of the persons he met that way.

Or start going to churches...lol had a friend do that...would go to many different churches and he wasn't religious, met a ton of women though.

edit on 13-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2

But yes, places like Chicago will probably never recover.

Recover from being a sh!t hole already? Couldn't resist...sorry

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You need to try dating through social media. Its all about the number of meetings to find someone you want to have a relationship with. I had one guy work for me that did some on line dating where you meet for like 20 mins total no matter what and then you can go back and say whether you want a second date. He would meet 15 different women in a weekend doing this. Today he is happily married to one of the persons he met that way.

Or start going to churches...lol had a friend do that...would go to many different churches and he wasn't religious, met a ton of women though.

Ya, not so much into the dating thing. Wife left after 35 years and that kind of soured the whole full or part time woman thing for a while I think. Not that I am wanting to bat for the other team by any means but I have been out of the game for way too long. LOL

I had one lady at work press me hard when I first started here in Kansas. She has two small kids and I already raised mine. I was totally freaked out by that. She was pretty forward and has to be at least 10 years younger than me. Lightheartedly and in a group conversation with her present, I made it clear I was not interested in dating anyone. Not sure what she was thinking but I am done with fulltime "daddy mode." Dating where you work I hear is a nightmare anyway. No thanks!

It may be a bit cheaper to "rent a chick" and I thought about that but that seems a bit shallow and I would be thinking "what would her dad say." Couldn't do it.. Maybe buy one of those new fangled robots? She would even watch football with me! tee hee

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2
Not everyone works in an office, actually my office is in the front of a flying machine.
Trades is where it’s going to go, crane operators making 6 digits. I believe after this pandemic manufacturing will come home. Shoot, I bought some items at Wal-mart the other day, assuming they came from China, I looked at the tag when I got home...Made in the U.S.A.

I was Happy Shocked. And a bit proud, as corny as that sounds.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
a reply to: Daughter2
Not everyone works in an office, actually my office is in the front of a flying machine.
Trades is where it’s going to go, crane operators making 6 digits. I believe after this pandemic manufacturing will come home. Shoot, I bought some items at Wal-mart the other day, assuming they came from China, I looked at the tag when I got home...Made in the U.S.A.

I was Happy Shocked. And a bit proud, as corny as that sounds.

50% of the people going to college should not be there, and they should be in trades...There is a reason people are complaining about their student loans...their crap degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on in the working world. I see it all the time...50k in debt and that 100k job the college said they would get ends up being a 15 dollar an hour gig.

edit on 13-12-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It may be a bit cheaper to "rent a chick" and I thought about that but that seems a bit shallow and I would be thinking "what would her dad say." Couldn't do it.. Maybe buy one of those new fangled robots? She would even watch football with me! tee hee

Many people are happy to live alone...Another person in their life adds complications no matter what.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ya, I like my Internet places like ATS. I hope it doesn't go away after it sells but there are a lot of distractions for single people these days. YouTube and Wikipedia are great places to burn time.

Honestly, I would never buy a robot. Someone is always watching, here or in the life after this one! I would not not that as part of my life review. I have done enough stupid stuff in my 50 years without adding to it! LOL

Have a great Sunday X..

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   
This reminds me of when many said in 2001 that 9/11 was going to bring the end to business air travel as we know it. Instead business travel began at the same rate (in fact, an increased rate) again after a short lull.

That is, I don't think 9/11 had any lasting impact on the amount of business air travel.

edit on 2020/12/14 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Local college has classes to work in a nuke plant as a tech. Starting pay is $90,000 with as much OT as you want. they have a 70% drop out rate because there's no preferential hiring it's all by the numbers. A couple of other companies have great non degree hiring possibilities.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Nickn3
It way past time to stop using the COVID scare, as an excuse for poor performance and low productivity. My people returned to the office full time this week, no excuses. My sales manager turned in his notice. Oh well, I’m the boss and may my will be done. If we don’t get the company back on solid financial footing it will not survive.

What industry if you don't mind me asking? Yes, I'd imagine that is a problem for some members and management and the workforce. It's finding that balance and reinventing yourself, definitely think "Who Moved my Cheese" is apropos in today's new business environment. One of my bosses had all of his salespersons read it, it's so easy to get into using the same practices selling, and you have to come up with other ways to approach the whole process.

Construction Services.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

serious population reduction

I'm thinking more along the lines of land management and better family planing decisions.
That would be the ideal way to do things.

Or we can start building down instead of up?
Live underground but have a beautiful wild world to play in up top.
Even the resources we need are abundant deeper down. We just don't yet have the tech to reach it.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Never Despise

If this holds, I'm going back to the corporate world for a nice, comfy work from home job. But I'll trade my ½ acre in the Chicago burbs for 1,000 acres in MT or WY.

We pay premium for land, housing and property tax here for great schools, access to jobs, stores. The schools are closed, more and more jobs are becoming "remote" and "stores" are becoming a novelty.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join