It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Loan Cancellation is really UBI for parts of the population

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

One of the fallacies of government and society is that we need to encourage or engineer outcomes. We don't.

Welllllll,,,Yes, if we hold to ''government'' being dictatorial, which of course can be the case.

I have always been more of a ''Preamblist'' than a ''Constitutionalist''.

''We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States''

I"m not preaching here Ed, just zeroing in on what I see to be a ''reason'' to have an constitution. This part about promoting the general welfare seems to me to be part of why we have a government. That and to secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

This is not to say that ''we the people'' always do it right, or for that matter do it right much of the time. The two examples we have before us, the student loan and home loan issues speak straight to both the needs goals of the constitution while at the same time to the failures of ourselves to elect people smart enough to fulfill those obligations not only to ourselves but the nation as a whole.

Though the words of the Preamble and the Constitution itself are grand in scope we both know that those aspirations to greatness were not manifest into the creation of our nation. Only white men of property were initially allowed to vote that of course being the line drawn to establish those with enough wealth to participate in democratic decisions. That had to change so it was changed to allow the addition of white men of no property ownership.

It was only one hundred years ago that the final battle to establish the right to vote for all women was finally cemented in the constitution. These were hard fought battles to fulfill the pledges of the Preamble.

That kinda went off track so I will skip and again I"m not pretending to preach to you here. So to, I see government aiding/interfering in the natural course of national events. While many see government as interfering, others see it in aiding in the fulfillment of those promises.

So to me, it's not that government should keep it's nose out of my or our affairs rather that we should see that government ''aids'' our affairs rather than preventing us from achieving them. I just don't want to make that final step away from hope for our nation, that we should move to seeing government as an adversary rather an a tool that we ourselves have let become rusted for lack of citizen oversight.

edit. And here are two great examples of how I see our government taking action in a direction to ''secure our general welfare''

www.abovetopsecret.com...

U.S. Government, States Bring Antitrust Action Against Facebook

edit on 31America/ChicagoWed, 09 Dec 2020 17:30:58 -0600Wed, 09 Dec 2020 17:30:58 -060020122020-12-09T17:30:58-06:00500000030 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

edit on 31America/ChicagoWed, 09 Dec 2020 17:32:16 -0600Wed, 09 Dec 2020 17:32:16 -060020122020-12-09T17:32:16-06:00500000032 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

If student loans are "cancelled", I better get my money back, with interest, since I held off buying a home for 10 years while paying off student loans.

posted on Dec, 9 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
a reply to: JAGStorm

If student loans are "cancelled", I better get my money back, with interest, since I held off buying a home for 10 years while paying off student loans.

I seriously doubt it.
I wish!

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join