It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Just Switched on Its 'Artificial Sun' Nuclear Fusion Reactor

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mailman
It uses a powerful magnetic field to fuse hot plasma and can reach temperatures of over 150 million degrees Celsius, according to the People's Daily - approximately 10 times hotter than the core of the sun

www.sciencealert.com...

I'm sorry something about the asians, I don't think the world should trust their ability to control such things. Same with japan landing and getting samples of meteor/comet.
There is too many instances of asian engineering that shows they shouldn't be in control of such things.

I've seen enough horror videos from Chinese factories to know how badly this could turn out lol.......

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You must understand that nuclear fusion is not a dangerous technology. If there was an accident, the fusion reactions would just stop. Sure it might damage the powerplant, but nothing more.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   

It uses a powerful magnetic field to fuse hot plasma and can reach temperatures of over 150 million degrees Celsius, according to the People's Daily - approximately 10 times hotter than the core of the sun

www.sciencealert.com...

I'm sorry something about the asians, I don't think the world should trust their ability to control such things. Same with japan landing and getting samples of meteor/comet.
There is too many instances of asian engineering that shows they shouldn't be in control of such things.

I think it is the 'not invented here' sour grapes.

These guys are sharing data with the rest of the world and contributing to ITER (the "I" in that, standing for 'International').

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Mailman

150 million degrees Celsius!

My bet is It's going to melt in space where heat dissipation is an issue.

Unless China's material science has skipped a few 1000 years into the future.

LOL. It has been fired up and isn't melting.

only 1,000 years ahead of your idea of materials science and physics.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tekner

www.sciencealert.com...

I've seen enough horror videos from Chinese factories to know how badly this could turn out lol.......

I've read enough Marvel comics to know that this leads to Dr Octavio going berserk and destroying New York... again...

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
CERN does this kind of thing and the Chinese are building a much bigger collider!

Physicists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN have smashed lead ions together to achieve the hottest man-made temperatures ever recorded – around 5.5 trillion Kelvin.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
I'm not a racist but,....Asians.

Every Asian (and European) country massively outperforms the US in STEM, the US was number one 50 years ago but been in huge decline since US is around 56th - 58th in the world now. China has been number one for 30 years.

They were given or allowed to steal all the technology by globalist traitors.
And now some punk will serve them as a template? FO!

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Aye but for how long?

And how do you imagine the heat will dissipate in a near-vacuum?

LoL all you wish but low earth orbit is a bit different from being fired up down here and not melting for what i imagine was a very short time period.

As to materials science and physics, there is no material, not lightly to be any material, that could withstand temperatures in excess of 150 million degrees Celsius for any kind of sustained time period.

edit on 7-12-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

This may be helpfull.

"Plasma physicists developed methods for deducing the temperature, cross-checking the results of the different methods increases the reliability of your measurements."

www.scienceinschool.org...
edit on 7-12-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Aye but for how long?

And how do you imagine the heat will dissipate in a near-vacuum?

LoL all you wish but low earth orbit is a bit different from being fired up down here and not melting for what i imagine was a very short time period.

As to materials science and physics, there is no material, not lightly to be any material, that could withstand temperatures in excess of 150 million degrees Celsius for any kind of sustained time period.

The Tokamac design has been around since the 1950's.

The inside has replaceable ablative panels as they do suffer degradation. However, the hot plasma doesn't touch them because of magnetic confinement and a controlled rotation of the plasma particles.

To a certain extent, if the plasma is 'thick' enough, it's outer layers become insulative of the core heat.

Also, the thing is usually run in bursts, the problem with most fusion is that they can't run them in a self-sustaining manner.

The hope is that the ITER one will bring them closer to self-sustainability of fusion.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   
so how much water can they boil with that amount of heat? Will it be enough to generate the electricity used to fire it up or just enough for all the tea in China?

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo

Just how on earth they can measure 150 million degrees Celsius ? What kind of meter can measure that? or is that just theoretical measuring ?

The two ways I can think of one being Electron temperature, This is measuring the number of microwaves produced. electrons are forced to spiral along the magnetic field lines, which creates microwaves called cyclotron emission. The hotter – and therefore faster-moving – the electrons are, the more intense are the microwaves that they emit. So this is a mater of math find out what temprature matches the amount of microwaves produced.

The second way is you can see how fast particles are moving. Using a laser we can see how much the light from the laser is scattered by the electrons in a process known as Thomson scattering; if the electrons are moving, then the scattered light will be Doppler shifted.The cumulative effect of the many electrons in the plasma some moving towards and others away from the detector is that the original narrow frequency band of the laser light is broadened. The extent of broadening tells us the speed of the electrons, and we can determine their temperature. This doesnt work with ions however for that you have to measure impurities in your plasma.

But rest assured even when dealing with high tempratures in the millions you wont be more than a couple of hundred degrees off. And that is caused by random fluctuations.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You use a magnetic field to contain the plasma, As you point out material will melt at high tempratures. The trick is use a magnetic field to hold the plasma in a vacuume where heat cannot be transfered to anything else. As long as there is no way to transfer heat to the container it wont get hot. And this would be much safer than a nuclear reactor as radiation could not be released like in a meltdown. Problem is every reactor we have made takes more energy then it makes and i think last i looked the longest it has been self sustaining was about a minute.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: snowspirit
worldpopulationreview.com...

Here are the 10 countries with the highest IQ:

Hong Kong (108)
Singapore (108)
South Korea (106)
China (105)
Japan (105)
Taiwan (104)
Italy (102)
Switzerland (101)
Mongolia (101)
Iceland (101)

Yep something about them Asians...

Fascinating that Hong Kong and Singapore have the highest scores and also an open business philosophy.

I find that interesting.

Not if you consider that Hong Kong and Singapore having open business philosophy is the result of being colonies of the British Empire. And their education system being taken from British ideas of education.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   
P

originally posted by: MykeNukem
a reply to: Mailman

They can research, invent, and develop technology, but then we have to take it from them....

Because “something about them asians”?

Sounds completely non racist...

Would it seem as racist if he said "something about them Europeans", then pointing to nuclear disasters such as Chernobyl?

Probably not.

Although since Asia is a huge continent involving Turkey, Pakistan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc and not just Far East Asian countries. He could have narrowed it down to the one..... China.

The Chinese are notorious for engineering & Industrial disasters.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Debunkology

Yes because Chernobyl, Fukishima et al were designed and built by US company General Electric and the US has a long history of nuclear disaster and ignoring basic engineering and science for profit.

The blue prints for their nuclear plats were based off an unbuilt low-yeild plant with the power generation gradually increased but no attempt to mitigate safety standards or critical mass leading to three mile island and similar US disasters.

There's a great documentary on it here:

However, in America it was being discovered that safety systems that had to work to avoid meltdown could not be guaranteed to work reliably in the complex circumstances in a nuclear reactor. Tests run on the emergency core cooling systems to deal with pipe breaks, performed on AECs test models in Idaho in 1971, repeatedly failed; often the water was forced out of the core under pressure. It was discovered that the theoretical calculations had no correspondence with reality. Nevertheless, they had not necessarily proved that they wouldn't work on a real reactor, so they decided to carry on with mandated safety systems, that the best evidence suggested, may well not function in the event of an accident.

Engineers and scientists and regulators that tried to publicise the potential issues found that their concerns were not published, and these issues remained largely unknown to the public, and nuclear power had a high degree of confidence with the public.

Then came the disasters of Three Mile Island in 1979 and Chernobyl in 1986 which changed public views on the safety of this new technology. It revealed that the industry had hid the problems and unpredictable nature of these types of reactors, and that they had imposed risks on the public, without consultation.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Fusion reactors do not create any long-lived radioactivity.

Also if the reactors lose power they don't meltdown.

I'm aware that current reactor technologies require more input than they can output.

How is a fake sun that can react for only a minute supposed to light up the night sky of China? LoL

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

chr0naut I'm aware of the problems associated with fusion reactors, Tokamac design included.

And the fact of the matter is that the designs simply are not ready to become a mainstream technology just yet.

They are testbeds and prototypes even the ITER.

And that hope has also been around since 1950s.

Fusions time will come, just not quite yet.

Chances are we will see types of thorium-based reactors come online before fusion rears its head realistically.

edit on 8-12-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Your documentary is wrong GE had nothing to do with chernobyl. That was a russian design that even american physisists had warned was faulty. And fukushima was caused by a tsunami that overpowered the sea wall they built. They were warned for decades the sea wall would fail but ignored it. So yes I get it your documentary wanted to blame everyone for the evil of nuclear reactors. But even now there is much safer designs that make it almost impossible to meltdown.

I find it ironic that people are so against nuclear power when it is a technology we could use to illimanate green house gasses.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   

chr0naut I'm aware of the problems associated with fusion reactors, Tokamac design included.

And the fact of the matter is that the designs simply are not ready to become a mainstream technology just yet.

They are testbeds and prototypes even the ITER.

And that hope has also been around since 1950s.

Fusions time will come, just not quite yet.

Chances are we will see types of thorium-based reactors come online before fusion rears its head realistically.

Maybe someday but we are still along way from supplying anything. Problem is creating a reliable magnetic field. this is the only reason we cannot do fusion. as pressure builds containment becomes more difficult. Unlike our sun which creates solar flares and uses gravity to contain them in a reactor when they form plasma leaks out damaging equipment.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join