It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Just Switched on Its 'Artificial Sun' Nuclear Fusion Reactor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:00 AM
link   
It uses a powerful magnetic field to fuse hot plasma and can reach temperatures of over 150 million degrees Celsius, according to the People's Daily - approximately 10 times hotter than the core of the sun

www.sciencealert.com...

I'm sorry something about the asians, I don't think the world should trust their ability to control such things. Same with japan landing and getting samples of meteor/comet.
There is too many instances of asian engineering that shows they shouldn't be in control of such things.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Mailman

Who should be 'in control' of such things?

edit on 7-12-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Well certainly not you, I vote for DBC.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Who should be 'in control' of such things?

Thor.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   
“I'm sorry something about the asians,”

I would suggest an edit here to make it less general. “...Chinese government,” comes to mind and seems more appropriate in light of the huge challenges they have espousing any level of trust in there own actions or existence.
edit on 7/12/2020 by bkfd54 because: Added appropriate quotes

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Way to turn an interesting topic into a race issue.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   

They can research, invent, and develop technology, but then we have to take it from them....

Because “something about them asians”?

Sounds completely non racist...

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I really don't care how it sounds. I'm not a democrat anymore.

They have not contributed anything to the world other than manufacturing if other people's inventions, now they have this cutting edge science?? I call BS.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Look at the bright side, if China controls this as well as they control COVID, they're on the other side of the planet from us. What could possibly go wrong?

However, we're going to have to face it in the West, so long as we're obsessed with what color the skin of our scientists are more than how smart they are, China is going to beat us. They don't care about that crap. They only care about winning.

It's going to take way too many years to force the US to become Wakanda.
edit on 7-12-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=25612678]Mailman[/post
Exactly. Remember what happened when Japan screwed up and made Godzilla?]

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: android

Way to turn an interesting topic into a race issue.

Yea, OP should have been a little something like this.

In 2018 China reached 180 million degrees with a goal to double that by 2020. Though they have not yet hit that this year, they are getting closer.

They are not the first in the world to achieve this as the US and the USSR have been working on it since at least the 50's.

Initially this work in the U.S., UK and USSR was secret. However, by the mid-1950’s administrators and scientists alike were convinced that controlled fusion research had no military applications, and in particular had nothing to do with the development of thermonuclear weapons.

Since fusion research had no military applications, it was declassified by the major participating nations, and cooperation in fusion began between the U.S. and the USSR.

Link

In 2018 they were able to hold plasma for 10 seconds so they still have a long way to go before this is a viable reactor.

EAST reached plasma for 10 seconds in 2018, which is a major milestone. But it’s just the very, very beginning . . . of the beginning.

One may ask how anything on earth can contain these temperatures.

As a refresher, inside the donut-shaped (or, sometimes, more spherical) containment of a tokamak, sun-hot plasma swirls in a circle that’s held in place by supercooled electromagnets.

This magnetic field is the only thing floating between 360-million-degree plasma and a bunch of human-made materials that obviously can’t sustain that temperature. The plasma results from smashing different nuclei together, fusing them rather than splitting them.

Read the full popular mechanics article.
edit on 7-12-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

You have to admit that forcing equity in all areas is going to have the effect of making everything we do as a country less effective.

You want the best no matter who they are, not equal proportions even if it means not all are up to the task.

In the interests of feeling good about things, our current overlords are trying to turn us into that place. I have nothing against any of the ethnic backgrounds, but I have everything against the idea that this or that ethnic background is or should be a serious qualification for any position.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   
worldpopulationreview.com...

Here are the 10 countries with the highest IQ:

Hong Kong (108)
Singapore (108)
South Korea (106)
China (105)
Japan (105)
Taiwan (104)
Italy (102)
Switzerland (101)
Mongolia (101)
Iceland (101)

Yep something about them Asians...

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Heh, that's why Asians are so often ignored by the victimhood crowd in the US or flat out lumped in with whites. They don't fit the general victim, oppressed minority curve and profile. They do well and often excel.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
worldpopulationreview.com...

Here are the 10 countries with the highest IQ:

Hong Kong (108)
Singapore (108)
South Korea (106)
China (105)
Japan (105)
Taiwan (104)
Italy (102)
Switzerland (101)
Mongolia (101)
Iceland (101)

Yep something about them Asians...

Fascinating that Hong Kong and Singapore have the highest scores and also an open business philosophy.

I find that interesting.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

This is awesome. very good for the world if this tech works the way they want it to.
I wish them luck.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I'm not a racist but,....Asians.

Every Asian (and European) country massively outperforms the US in STEM, the US was number one 50 years ago but been in huge decline since US is around 56th - 58th in the world now. China has been number one for 30 years.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   
'Asians' are as good as anyone ('whites') at engineering etc

but this Chinese communist government can't do anything right

really troubled about the thought of their country playing with this sort of tech.

too many people, not enough resources. mostly food but energy too.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Not sure what you mean. There are also 35 countries including the US working on this in France. Nuclear fusion is the holy grail of energy and would change the world for the better. There are a ton of science projects that are collaborative in nature and that's a good thing.

Yes, the CCP sucks.
edit on 7-12-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Just how on earth they can measure 150 million degrees Celsius ? What kind of meter can measure that? or is that just theoretical measuring ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join