It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1919 WS Scandel and How the BB commssioner dealt with it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The 1918 World Series scandal which included 8 players from the white sox. Shoeless Joe Jackson, George Weaver "Buck", Lefty Williams, Fred McMullin, "Swede" Riseberg, Oscar Felsch, "Chick" Gandil, Eddie Cicotte.

The series was thrown (gambling) playing against the Reds, Most of the players mentioned above admitted to throwing the game, all except two (I could be wrong).

The commissioner of baseball at the time ended up permanently banning all eight players from ever playing in professional baseball again.

As I was throwing a few beers back, thinking about the series. I thought, this is how politics should be run. Anyone in politics (at least in America) caught cheating should get a lifetime ban from ever holding a political position.

Consider this next sentence as a redundancy. For the remaining years until death (of said politician), no U.S. citizen (since you have to be a U.S. citizen to hold an office. I put that in there for clarity) will ever be able to hold a position in politics if found guilty...(of?). Curious what your thoughts are of what crimes or, otherwise, should be considered for a lifetime ban on U.S. official Political positions.

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CopeLongCut

Shoeless joe may have been vocally spineless but he had an amazing series. Pressured to go along and also throw the game he was mentally and physically unable to do so when the time came.

Shoeless joe was a casualty in a plot larger than he was able to deal with. He was a victim.

.375 batting average throughout the series.

Don’t smear joe!

edit on 1-12-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You're right. I know the story. I was just trying to to compare the commissioners outcome to a political one. I should have added more background to the players. That's why I added in "Most of the players mentioned above admitted to throwing the game, all except two (I could be wrong)." As part of my OP originally.a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

edit on 2-12-2020 by CopeLongCut because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2020 by CopeLongCut because: (no reason given)

join