It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a recipe...giblet gravy...???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Giblets to me are like Brussel sprouts; I really want to like them but I never have. I've found recipes for Brussel sprouts, but I have yet to find one for giblet gravy. I'm just not a "gut" guy.

Does anyone have a recipe for great giblet gravy? I'd really like to find one because I have some nice ones this year.

Much appreciated!

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I always roast them with the chicken/turkey with the neck and feet if they have them. Make sure they get oiled/salt & peppered.

Then remove the burd from the roasting pan/sheet pan, set it on the stove top and deglaze with some wine or stock. Scrape up all of the roasted bits, add stock until you have enough for gravy and stir/mash everything until the liquid reduces a bit.

Strain through a fine sieve, add the stock back to the pan, and thicken how you'd like, I use a beurre maniè, but you could cook a roux before adding stock to the pan, or do a grandma style flour and water slurry, or even just reduce until it's a glaze.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I'm not a gravy guy, per se, but what if you treat the giblets like any cut of meat when making gravy? Cook, brown, use the drippings to make a roux, add the finely chopped giblets and strain back to make the gravy?

That's what I might try, since I usually make a red wine mushroom gravy using drippings of whatever I've cooked.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Make a proper stock with the giblets a day before, use that to deglaze the roasting pan for a typical pour over gravy recipe.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Giblets to me are like Brussel sprouts; I really want to like them but I never have. I've found recipes for Brussel sprouts, but I have yet to find one for giblet gravy. I'm just not a "gut" guy.

Does anyone have a recipe for great giblet gravy? I'd really like to find one because I have some nice ones this year.

Much appreciated!

~blink~

To me, the best part of Thanksgiving is the gravy and it HAS to be giblet gravy.

The smell of it simmering most of the day as everything else is going on, the texture of the diced liver in the mix...

~Droolin~

OK... what I am going to do tomorrow is....

Put the liver aside, take the rest of the giblets and the neck, 1/2 of a small white onion, 4-6 garlic gloves (crushed), choice of spices (rosemary, sage, thyme or whatever floats your boat) into about 8 cups of chicken stock and let it simmer for a few hours, topping off if needed.

If you don't have chicken stock, go with 6-7 cups of water and a couple of chicken bullion cubes.

When it is smelling nummy and the meat is starting to fall off of the neck, throw the liver in and let it cook for 1/2 hour or so.

Strain, save the stock, throw any veggie stuff away, strip the meat off the neck and discard. Finely chop the meat up.

Then either go with a corn starch/water slurry or a butter/flour mix to thicken the stock. Add turkey drippings now.

I prefer a cornstarch/water mix because a giblet gravy isn't supposed to look like a fried chicken or country gravy... it is supposed to be translucent.

Let it thicken, add the diced meat back in, salt and pepper to taste.

edit on 25-11-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I'm going with THIS!!!

Sounds delicious!!

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I can tell ya how I make it and it’s pretty good but I’m not sure I’d call it a recipe. Lol
For starters I only use the neck bone and the liver because that’s all I’m willing to tolerate lol. I’m usually boiling a chicken for stock in my dressing so I toss the neck bone and liver in some of that broth and boil them up and set it aside with the giblets cooling so to be cut and pinched off the bone to put in the gravy.
You will also need some diced onion, one boiled egg diced, 2tbsp flour , salt , pepper, and a couple cups of chicken broth(turkey juice or even water if that’s all you have), and 2or3tbsp of oil.
Now
1.in a skillet on med low to med heat oil .this can be veg oil , or bacon grease(preferably) or what ever you have.don’t get it too hot though.
2.add diced onions and giblets and sauté till onions are translucent.
3.sprinkle flour ,salt and pepper to taste in and stir with fork constantly until flour turns light brown.
4.add boiled egg pieces.
5. Pour in liquid slowly while still stirring. Keep pouring until you get the desired consistency. Let simmer just a minute . Longer to thicken.

That’s it really . The giblets can be boiled together on their own and that liquid can be used. I’m actually guessing at the amounts as I never measure stuff like that. Any questions you have now or while you’re making it just let me know snd I will walk ya through it. Good luck. And have a wonderful thanksgiving.

edit on 11/25/2020 by wehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

That is real cooking right there.
Very close to an old East Coast Colonial
recipe that my family has used since
the Mayflower. Flour is used instead
of corn starch usually.

Glad to read that FCD is "cooking" again.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Good to read your "cooking" again.

S&F

Do have a great Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I'm with Lumenari. Am a bit fussy about my gravy and always buy an extra turkey neck from the butcher, and a few extra turkey (or chicken) livers.

Day prior, fill a 6 qt. pot with about 4 qts. of water. Add necks, half of a large onion (no need to peel,will strain later and old wives tale is that the onion skin helps darken the broth), break a carrot and a stalk of celery in half, add 3-4 peppercorns, smash a clove of garlic, salt, and simmer till neck meat begins breaking away, then throw in a few livers and simmer another 15 mins. and remove from heat.

Pluck out the necks and livers and set aside. After stock has cooled a bit, I strain through a double layer of cheesecloth, and return stock to pan and keep simmering to concentrate the flavors.

Clean neck meat, mash up livers, and set aside half for gravy (saving half for stuffing), then wrap neck bones in another double layer of cheesecloth, along with another stalk of celery, carrot, and onion and throw into stock. Then I simmer another 2 hours to coax the last of the flavor from the neck bones.

Pluck out the package with bones and veggies in it, fast simmer another half hour to concentrate the flavors. Cool. Refrigerate.

Next day, spoon a couple of tablespoons of pan drippings from roasting pan into pot, bring to boil, then it is ready for either a cornstarch or flour slurry (made with cold water). Sometimes I'll throw a half cup of water into the roasting pan, simmer and loosen the bits, then pour the resulting fond into stock pot. Necks I boiled today were pretty fatty, so likely won't need pan drippings tomorrow. After drizzling slurry into simmering stock, whisk till it thickens, turn down burner, add herbs (a little goes a long way especially if dried herbs are used), add minced liver, and very finely diced neck meat.

I also use half of the minced liver and neck meat for the stuffing.

My Mom use to make gravy in the roasting pan while bird was 'resting.' I don't, mainly because burners don't heat evenly.

Any leftover gravy not used for warm-ups goes in turkey soup, or turkey meat pies.

Have fun.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   
So yeah, what Lumenari said, love the enthusiasm. You have a couple choices tho, you can roast the giblets with the turkey or by themselves. Chop the giblets fine before adding to the pan and fond. Season either way.

Make you gravy.

If you keep the gravy silky at this point you can add some alcohol and then some butter.

Turn up the heat to a quick boil to help evaporate some alcohol. Turn down the heat low add some butter. Incorporate. Turn off the heat 🤙

You can always start by adding shallots/onion/chili pepper what ever in your pan with a tiny bit of butter than add your stock / binder / alcohol / butter to make the gravy.

If you want to mellow the flavor you can sink them in red wine or any brine the day prior

Food for thought 🤙

edit on 25-11-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Wow, sounds fantastic!

The only thing I think I'd change is a splash of wine to deglaze something. But then again I'm a bit boozy

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I'm going with THIS!!!

Sounds delicious!!

There are lots of ways to play with the recipe if you know your family's pallet.

To me the important things are texture (must be, as another poster states, a "silky" gravy) and it has to have just the right balance so that it adds flavor to the mashed potatoes without being too overpowering when put over turkey breast meat.

Of course, you are also dipping your rolls in it, maybe putting a little over your stuffing...

The gravy to me is the thing that pulls the whole meal together.

So sally forth and have fun with it!!!

And in the back of your "chef" mind, think for a minute about turkey dripping Yorkshire puddings...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Remember though, I'm doing a Cajun turkey here this year, so I can't stray too far from that.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You can spice your sautéed veg if using or use your homemade spice blend or some slap ya mama after adding the binder (flour/cornstarch) to season the gravy.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I just throw the giblets from the turkey or chicken into the roaster with the turkey, about a cup or so of water in the bottom of the roaster pan. The flavor goes into the juice and I make gravy out of the juice. Once in a while I buy some extra gizzards and toss them in the roaster too. I always eat the giblets, they are good.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Cut up the neck, heart and gizzard and about 1 cup chopped onion. Get 2 tbs oil hot over med-high in a skillet and then sear on medium heat on both sides until caramelized. Deglaze with 1 cup white wine then add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped stalk celery, 8 sprigs thyme, 4 sprigs parsley, 2 bay leaves, 4 cloves and 4 allspice berries. Simmer until meat begins to fall of neck. Add liver at last 10 minutes. Strain into bowl, remove meat and chop then add to liquid (I use an immersion blender to get very smooth). Make a roux with about 3-4 tbs butter while heating liquid to a boil. Pour into roux.

You can hold this at room temp until turkey is done. Pour drippings into fat separator and then deglaze turkey pan with1/2 cup port or sherry. Add to gravy along with separated solids. Adjust seasoning and serve. Send me fruit basket for help.

edit on 26-11-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I'm guilty of forgetting the neck and giblets...inside. Not this morning...

Guy on news put a Cornish hen inside...told the kids turkey was pregnant. The kids were hysterical!

Gravy? I eat...can't make. Happy T.D., FCD

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks!

Heh, our turkey had two necks this year! Hence my question.

I took it as an omen...or a hint!

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thanks! To you and yours as well!

<<   2  3 >>

join