It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cities and Urban Centers- Have They Outgrown Their State?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It would appear the massive growth of city centers in the past century have grown to a level of almost unimaginable and quite frankly unmanageable proportions.

I don't know off hand but how many states have megatropolis cities that aren't even the capitol city?
So now you essentially have more than one city running a state and maybe even neighboring states.

Did the founders of America envision something that would occur nationwide on this scale?

I don't think it is known what effects something like this could have on a state or even national level

Why would we continue to struggle with this anomaly, when for decades we are all witness to the hurdles created within?
Wouldn't it make sense to divide these urban districts amongst their surrounding counties? So simply there are four entities that must work together to make all people in the region happy?

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Yep. All cities over 750k should be designated their own separate state. That would eliminate the problems we have with inequality in all areas state-wide and prove how destructive their policies are. I wouldn't force their problems on surrounding areas though, that's cruel and unusual punishment.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Yep. All cities over 750k should be designated their own separate state.

How do you think that will work out with the Electoral College when you add about 20 new States?

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Covid is showing everyone regardless of affiliations the abuse of power. Not only for state government but within these cities.

I'm all for limiting transmission, but as with so many other examples government will never be able to enforce and abide by its own rules. They rarely are successful at implementation and systems functionality.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yep. All cities over 750k should be designated their own separate state.

How do you think that will work out with the Electoral College when you add about 20 new States?

Details schmetails... things like that would have to get worked out. Its the same as congressional House representation.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Details schmetails... things like that would have to get worked out.

'Worked out'? It's formalized in the Constitution.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Specified, put on paper, transformigulated into legalese that only lawyers understand... don't parse everything just because.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

It's a fairly straightforward part of the Constitution, it isn't legalese.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Maybe have diminishing effect on cities over 700k in a county/state?

Having an entire state controlled by the capital doesn't work too well when the rest of the state is rural.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Just stop. You're not recognizing when someone is messing with you anymore.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Alright. I didn't realize your thread was a joke thread.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Mailman

It's pretty much to the point these major cities dictate the rest of the state. It really sucks. They should have no bearing on the lives of people outside of their metropolises.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I have wondered if the US and some states are too big to govern effectively....

I know there have been some proposals for CA to breakup due to size and very disparate interest of different regions - NorCal/Techn vs inland agriculutre vs SoCal. I mean does NYC really represent all of upstate New York? Chicago most certainly isn't representative of broader IL.

Not proposing anything in particular....

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I know NYC doesn't represent the rest of the state because I have family there, and before they cut Chicago off Illinois better make a damned budget before anything.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

If that's true, which I agree with you it is, then why do liberals want to keep "re-interpreting" the Constitution?

TCB

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Ask a liberal.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I know personally a bit about the constitution of the good ol' USA. I would say it has entered the point where it will be fractured. Regardless of who is voting for who or what, the understanding of it is lacking if not totally ignorant by this point. I don't view it as the end of the world, but I do think alot of people (citizens) will be surprised when its gone on how their lives exist in the "new" parameters.

I guess since I might have 20 years on this planet I might have some trepidation and fear, but really I kind of laugh even though I have children and one grandchild at this point that they will see a future with NONE of the goodness that I ever saw. ANd maybe that is rightly so. No man is an island, and at the same time we seem to think so.

Do what you can to prepare, and you know what? you should have been this whole time regardless of Trump or whoever..Its all up to you really how you do.

When you shed this mortal coil as they say, then that is different, but if you are what you are, then understand what you are. Coward, brave, silly, stupid, whatever..Understand yourself.

new topics

top topics

join