It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meat-free diets linked with greater risk of breaking bones

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
So close your eyes for a moment and picture your typical vegan. Skinny, frail, probably yelling something about black lives mattering, look like they'd probably break in a stiff breeze.

Well, a new study has shown that, yes, vegans/vegetarians are in fact more fragile and easily broken than other folks.

www.newscientist.com...

People who don’t eat meat are more at risk of breaking bones, especially their hips, according to the largest study yet of this risk. The effect may stem from a lack of calcium and protein in their diet, as well as the fact that they tend to be thinner and so have less flesh to cushion a fall.

Several previous studies have shown that vegetarians have weaker bones than meat eaters, but it was unclear if this had any meaningful effect on their risk of fractures

The new research took advantage of a long-running study called EPIC-Oxford, originally set up to look at whether diet influences the risk of cancer by following the health of about 65,000 people in the UK from 1993 onwards. The study recorded people’s typical diet and tracked their health through hospital records.

By 2010, vegans had broken a hip at over twice the rate of meat eaters, while vegetarians and fish eaters had a smaller increase in risk, of about 25 per cent. Vegans – but not vegetarians and pescetarians – also had a higher risk of breaking other bones.

edit on 23/11/2020 by dug88 because: Added link explaining my reference to blm for.the whiners

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
*pulls out popcorn; waits for fun to ensue*

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
So close your eyes for a moment and picture your typical vegan. Skinny, frail, probably yelling something about black lives mattering

Happy to say I am a carnivore but what the hell has BLM got to do with veganism?

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yet another scientific study verifying common sense...

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

www.peta.org...

www.distractify.com...

They said it themselves...

edit on 23/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

No wonder I’ve never broken a bone or had a cavity.

A nice filet sounds good right now.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

typical vegan. Skinny, frail,

Well since I know a ton of these people and most are athletic, muscular and above average intelligence People who have a whole health life view I dismiss the clear call to target.
BTW the majority of BLM people I have seen on my screen were defiantly "skinny" have no idea why you have a need to connect the two.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Huge studies and meta-analyses have shown that vegans may be at a slightly higher risk for reduced bone density."

Common sense?

The most healthful calcium sources are green leafy vegetables and legumes, or "greens and beans" for short. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collards, kale, mustard greens, Swiss chard, and other greens are loaded with highly absorbable calcium and a host of other healthful nutrients.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Huge studies and meta-analyses have shown that vegans may be at a slightly higher risk for reduced bone density."

Common sense?

The most healthful calcium sources are green leafy vegetables and legumes, or "greens and beans" for short. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collards, kale, mustard greens, Swiss chard, and other greens are loaded with highly absorbable calcium and a host of other healthful nutrients.

Humans are OMNIVORES. We are designed to eat meat AND veggies. If you eliminate meat, you are depriving your body of nutrients it needs. This is not to say you cannot eat too much meat or not enough veggies. Like most things in life, it is a balance...

So yeah, common sense.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Common sense?

Humans are OMNIVORES. We are designed to eat meat AND veggies. If you eliminate meat, you are depriving your body of nutrients it needs. This is not to say you cannot eat too much meat or not enough veggies. Like most things in life, it is a balance...

So yeah, common sense.

Whatever works for you.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I know a good handful of vegans who are healthy and what not. They exercise and stay in shape, amd any broken bones they have had is from sports or just participating in activities which naturally have a higher risk percentage of breaking bones.

Patrik Baboumian would probably get a laugh out of anyone calling him a weak and frail vegan.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

lol

Bacteria found in milk and beef linked to rheumatoid arthritis

www.nhs.uk...

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If you are looking at one thing why not others?
small example

Vegetarians live longer than meat-eaters, according to a study published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine, a Journal of the American Medical Association. ... Dietary choices appeared to play a big role in protecting the participants from heart disease, from which vegetarians were 19% less likely to die than meat-eaters.Jun 3, 2013

Thanks to the specific diet, veganism could be the key to a good night's rest, according to Neil Robinson, who is the Chief Sleep Officer at bed and mattress manufacturer, Sealy UK. Serotonin, tryptophan, and melatonin are found in many vegan foods, and these nifty chemicals are imperative in helping you snooze.Jan 5, 2019

Going vegan could improve your sleep | Metro Newsmetro.co.uk › 2019/01/05 › going-vegan-improve-sleep-..

Studies have found being vegan can increase your energy, because your body doesn't have to use as much energy for digesting food and the absence of added sugars, saturated fats, and carbohydrates which can slow you down.Jul 26, 2018

going vegan can also improve your complexion, said Sarkar.

Plant Protein May Be Associated with Reduced Mortality in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients. Chronic kidney disease patients who consume a higher ratio of plant protein have lower mortality rates, according to research published in the National Kidney Foundation's American Journal of Kidney Diseases.

studies reported significantly lower risks of mortality from ischaemic heart disease in vegetarians than in non-vegetarians.

Compared with meat eaters, vegetarians tend to consume less saturated fat and cholesterol and more vitamins C and E, dietary fiber, folic acid, potassium, magnesium, and phytochemicals (plant chemicals), such as carotenoids and flavonoids. As a result, they're likely to have lower total and LDL (bad) cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and lower body mass index (BMI), all of which are associated with longevity and a reduced risk for many chronic diseases.

there's evidence that vegetarians have a lower incidence of cancer than nonvegetarians do

vegetarians' risk of developing diabetes was half that of nonvegetarians

www.health.harvard.edu...
edit on 23-11-2020 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Going vegan can also help increase the green house effect.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
As a vegan of 30 years that still goes skateboarding, jump off cliffs (into water of course), hikes, jumps around and has more energy than most all other friends my age I'm gonna say that most studies on either side come down to agenda. I'm not even going to say that being vegan is responsible for still looking young, never broken a bone, having energy, my good traits or bad ones. But now that I'm old enough to be experiencing some of the body deterioration that mimics the deterioration my dad had... it's genetics all the way.
edit on 23-11-2020 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We aren't cows or sheep. Humans do not have as much of the enzymes to make collagen from plants as these vegetarian animals do. Most people have plenty of enzymes to metabolize the collagen into a form we can use from animal products though. Some people from certain cultures where veggies have been a part of their diet for many generations don't have a problem with this, their epigenetics is steered to make more enzymes to do this from a higher plant based diet. Collagen is used for bones and joints, and also for muscle building. A muscle with a lot of collagen in beef is the rib steak or rib roast. But it is not high in elastin fiber protein. The tougher the meat, the more elastin fiber protein, the stronger the muscle is for the size. This elastin protein is formed by certain microbes, like some staphylococcus and and ecoli strains. Most people have problems with these bacteria that produce elastin fiber. Elastin fiber is also present in bone, it makes the bone more flexible. The practice of growing veggies that have had anti-microbials sprayed on them is popular in commercial produce, so there is none of this elastin left on the leaves or product after it is washed and peeled. so weaker bones result. Fresh produce grown in your garden without pesticides or antimicrobials has a little of this on the product, it is not that harmful usually, but they have a lot of resistant bacteria problems in commercial processing.

Ok, more than anyone actually needs or wants to know. Eat grassfed beef, it has more collagen and elastin to build strong bones. Too much is not good either, the heart needs to beat, if it is too tough, it cannot flex right.

It is not just the bones that are effected in vegetarians. And some people who have the enzymes in high enough amounts can have strong bones.

I don't have to worry about this, I have to pick up my half head of steer Friday, it is a four hundred thirty four pound half, should be about three hundred twenty pounds or more of beef this year.
edit on 23-11-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ugh.....thanks to the vegan community, I no longer refer to myself as a vegan. I’m on a plant based/whole food diet.

Having met a sh*tload of vegans in the last several years (my wife was a leader in some of the local animal rights activists groups....until she said “f*ck this and f*ck these people”), the one thing I can say is that the majority do not maintain a healthy diet.

There’s an assumption that vegan automatically means healthy. That’s not the case. Oreos are vegan. Potato chips are vegan. Soda is vegan.

It took me about a year to find a proper balance with my diet. It’s easy to rely on processed, imitation meat substitutes when starting out because it takes time to build up a menu of things you enjoy. Some people never get away from that crap and at that point, you’re not doing your body any good.

I take a daily supplement made for vegans, it’s LOADED with everything that doesn’t present itself in a standard vegan diet. I basically piss fluorescent yellow half the day, every day. After my first year of changing my diet, I got a blood test and my Dr was thrilled as my numbers were perfect. He asked me to write down what I eat over the course of the week and said he was going to suggest some of it to his less-healthy patients.

2 months ago I had my yearly physical and again, perfect numbers. I’m also extremely physically active at work and am regularly running up and down flights of stairs, climbing ladders, working in the Florida sun, etc.

The benefits of the change took about 3 months to take effect. I used to have back, neck and wrist/joint pain all the time. That completely went away. Libido increased, physical endurance increased, overall better moods and less swings, my skin looks a hell of a lot better.....and I’m not a fatass. I’m not rail thin, I’m 155lbs and 5’9”. It works for me, so I’ll stick with it.

I’ve never been interested in the debate of it all. I almost passed over this thread without commenting because just admitting I’m plant based will draw out people looking for some kind of debate. I don’t give a f*ck what you eat. I’m a libertarian. Not my job to tell you what to do.
edit on 23-11-2020 by Drucifer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
What people don't realize is that different people are you know ... different. Some people will optimize with a different diet than others.

It's like people cannot just do what they need to do these days. If they find something that works great for them, they immediately need to make everyone around them do it that way too or they seek to force everyone to do it that way.

The groups who carry it to religious extremes like the Woke crowd and activist vegans are among the ones we're talking about here. You can add the Holier Than Thou Christians to the set, and we all know some of those, even as a Christian myself, I admit they're annoying, and they don't even see where they are warned against in the Bible either.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   
what a nonsense post. by a nonsensical idiot

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I just adore how folks will believe what they want to believe.
Humankind was omnivorous from the very beginning.
Our entire bodies are set up that way.
Vegans evidently have never heard of red blood cells and protein.
Someone mentioned they "know a ton of folks" who are vegans and are muscular and healthy.
What about Cam Newton ?
Star quarterback from Auburn and nearly benched.
Why ?
Turned vegan , and performance on the field dropped.
And that's just one good example.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join