It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a new American automobile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I’m looking for something that probably doesn’t exist, but hope springs eternal in the human breast. I want a car, SUV, truck — anything — that has all (ha!) or as much as possible of the following characteristics:

• U.S. automaker

• Final assembly in the USA

• Parts made in the USA

• Good ratings for safety and reliability

• Costs less than $40,000

Am I seeking the impossible? Probably. I’d love to be proven wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
About the most you will get is about 80% American parts--for a Honda Accord! Mot are in the 60% range.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scapegrace
I’m looking for something that probably doesn’t exist, but hope springs eternal in the human breast. I want a car, SUV, truck — anything — that has all (ha!) or as much as possible of the following characteristics:

• U.S. automaker

• Parts made in the USA

You can get a one-year old Tesla Model 3 for about 35K$. Meets all those stated requirements.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

I dunno, found this though

www.cars.com...

www.cars.com...

You might be able to find something on there.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Impossible to meet all your requests.
Sorry mate.
Now if you can change your third request from made to assembled then you may have a chance.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Here you go

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yep, Tesla is your brand.

I've got a Ford, some parts are from the UK, some from Germany, some from the US. All of it shipped to Mexico for assembly. A lot of my aftermarket stuff is from Germany, Japan, the UK, Canada, and even a few shops here in the US. The car is an absolute hodgepodge of random stuff, but it all works remarkably well together.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Honda Accord.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I bought a one hundred percent non-american maid 2020 Subaru Forester last winter. Making up for all the cars I bought that were highly American made over the years. I used to try buying all American on everything, that turned out to be a hard frustrating job because the manufactures all lie, most have all the parts made anywhere but the USA. At least there is no lie in my Japanese car, not at all made in America.

I learned that Made in America was usually not Made in America fifteen years ago when I was going to start selling air tools. I verified that it is legal to deceive people from discussions with the manufacturers, and I have checked out lots of products over the years, just check part numbers, if the Chinese model part numbers match the American made part numbers, you know what that means. My log splitter is made in China, the identical log splitter made in America is two hundred bucks more and it looks the same and all the part numbers are identical. Tis is very deceitful time we live in in America.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Stay far far away from the big three. None of the American companies are worth buying.

I went with a Subaru. Under 25k in a manual transmission. Don't buy anything with CVT tranny.

Honestly, modern vehicles are just crap. Safety features make lazy drivers.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

That's a really tall order and you are unlikely to find the right combination.

For final assembly, cost, safety and reliability... Honda is your best bet.

These Are The Most American-Made Vehicles You Can Buy

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I note that there are other Subaru owners in here as well, which I picked up a Crosstrek last year and could not be happier with it. Pretty much the best daily driver I could think of, and has enough space for what I need to do with it. My other cars are all sports cars and trying to daily drive those is a bit jarring. They are fun on the weekends and for stuff like autocross...and spirited trips up to the mountains.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I was talking to a friend just last week about this very topic.

Dont think the US made thing is really a "thing" anymore. Even the US manufactured cars source significantly from foriegn suppliers. The auto market is truly globalized.

Here's something to consider however......the US follows behind the UK in trend terms by about 5 to 10 years; same for following behind Cali, only shorter time frame. UK PM recently mandated that all cars sold in UK after 2030 will be only electric. With election of the Harris/Biden ticket, I'd guess the US will follow suit with a similar mandate next year.

That will mean many things, but mostly it will mean your gas powered clunker will be worthless on trade-in since doubtless they'll regulate the gas stations out of existence as well.......What a mother to do?

My recommendation would be to keep driving the clunker you have and if you MUST buy a replacement vehichle, buy either all electric or hybrid.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

• U.S. automaker

• Parts made in the USA

If you insist on an American Vehicle , Go for a Truck or SUV .

I wouldn't go in for an American Sedan , there is simply way better options if your buying a car.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

• U.S. automaker

• Parts made in the USA

You can get a one-year old Tesla Model 3 for about 35K$. Meets all those stated requirements.
I’ll definitely consider that. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   
My 88 Thunderbird is all-american and fits every one of your categories. I will even let her go for the right price....under $25k even.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I dunno, found this though

www.cars.com...

www.cars.com...

You might be able to find something on there.
That site looks very useful. The Ford Ranger and Jeep Cherokee look like contenders.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

Here you go
I’m tempted (never owned an electric or hybrid), but I wonder how hard it is to get recharged on the road and how long it takes.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I bought a one hundred percent non-american maid 2020 Subaru Forester last winter. Making up for all the cars I bought that were highly American made over the years. I used to try buying all American on everything, that turned out to be a hard frustrating job because the manufactures all lie, most have all the parts made anywhere but the USA. At least there is no lie in my Japanese car, not at all made in America.

I learned that Made in America was usually not Made in America fifteen years ago when I was going to start selling air tools. I verified that it is legal to deceive people from discussions with the manufacturers, and I have checked out lots of products over the years, just check part numbers, if the Chinese model part numbers match the American made part numbers, you know what that means. My log splitter is made in China, the identical log splitter made in America is two hundred bucks more and it looks the same and all the part numbers are identical. Tis is very deceitful time we live in in America.
I have a Forester, too, and I like it a lot, although its electronics can be baffling to figure out. The easiest thing would be to get another, but I feel compelled to support American workers as much as possible this time. I’ve driven nothing but Japanese for 20 years. They’re great cars for what you pay, no complaints.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The rest of my cars and trucks are almost all American made. I do not know how much foreign stuff on my two thousand explorer, but the older ones I have are pretty much ninety percent domestic made materials. Except the replacement parts I put in them I suppose. The ninety eight buick is probably pretty much American, so is the eighty seven chevy truck. My tractor, a seventy seven Ford....was made in Brazil with a partnership with Fiat Italy. Thought I was buying American with that....boy was I wrong.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join