It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can any news be unbiased?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Jykan

When you watch news...by nature...it is biased. Otherwise...you can switch to another media...and their bias.

Still biased. Watch 10 outlets...same story? Truth is always somewhere in the middle.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Yes. Factual statements, without speculation or adjectives. Will most likely result in non-biased coverage.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think bias is unavoidable also. The problem is the MSM networks creating entire shows based on political influence, corporate interests, and agendas aimed to manipulate viewers into thinking their perspective is the pinnacle of journalism and honesty.

At least if i know i watch independent journalists like Abbey Martin or popular front, i know they are giving me their stories and perspective based on what they see as true. Not based on corporate and ceo insidepus interests.

Everyone should boycott the MSM.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yea.. but the bias has gotten so bad over the past 20 years. Don't watch either networks. News should be much better and they completely lost all integrity.

We have to stop just accepting that they are bad and boycott them. They will never get better if we keep giving them money.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

For me? I flip btwn msm and altern...compare all...vastily different.

And in the center...is truth.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Debunkology

originally posted by: Fools
How same news is reported by the overall majority left wing news:

Today on 11/22/20, there was a multicar accident with multiple injuries and 2 fatalities. Officials say that the carelessness of Republican lawmakers not funding the "better roads bill" earlier in the year have led directly to the death of two wonderful human beings that had their whole lives in front of them. Officials are saying that this is yet another reason why mass transit programs need further funding as well. There was also ice on the road. These icy conditions are caused by what scientist say is the result of global climate change.

Whereas right wing Fox News would say

"Today there was a multicar accident with multiple injuries and 2 fatalities. Officials say that it was an unusual accident and that American roads are the safest in the world and that there is no need for increase in spending. Today we learned that one of the drivers was possibly an illegal immigrant. There was also ice on the road. Which proves that global warming does not exist, because this time last year there was no ice on the roads."

Personally, I have no concern about Fox News, and haven't for years on end. To me Fox news is not what I would consider news.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

This is exactly what I believe too

I studied journalism as my degree but didn't pressure it as a career. I do however know many people who did and like every walk of life you have both ethical stand up people and scum bags, regardless of political affiliation.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

But then you run into the filter that the facts are viewed through.

A simple statement could have two very different connotations depending on lived experience.

I appreciate this makes it impossible for anything to be unbiased....but that's my point.

Also, by trying to be impartial news outlets Duke facts. A million scientists may believe one thing, and 100 the opposite, and some outlets will have one of each on a panel for balance.

Asimov back in the 80s said :
The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

I happen to agree with him, though an kitten to the possibility of being wrong.

Moreso, due to the way social media companies work uses have to try particularly hard to see outside their echo chambers.

There's also a maxim in journalism, :
'Dig bites man, that's not news, now, man bites dog on the other hand.....'.

'President wins election'....ok, fairly newsworthy but not surprising. 'President cheats election, now, that's news'.

Looking at the example above, it would definitely be news. At this moment it's also a conspiracy theory. We don't have Reps and Dens here in the UK quite the same as you do in the US but there are comparisons to be made.

One of these comparisons I believe, and I stress I believe,, is that those who love conspiracy theories are more likely to believe that the election sad rigged or that Trump would be found guilty of colluding with Russia, depending on political affiliation.

Again, we come back to living in an echo chamber, to having faith, to being tribal,.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness. Also, I wrote this on my phone so any :errors, blame Google. Someone must have hacked it and changed what I wrote.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The simple answer to me is yes it can be unbiased!
News of event is just that...
No spin just what happened.

Blame , cause etc are not news they are opinions.

The "news" media is just propaganda to shape the masses according to the master
holding the Pay Checks.

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Jykan

And every outlet spins their own. Filter. Flip. Angle. Flip. Theory. Flip. Filter. Flip. Click....etc

Same story different spin. Media is media. Truth lies dead center somewhere

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
Yes news can be unbiased. Let's say it's snowy outside, maybe even blizzard like conditions. Then on a highway there is a terrible multicar collision.

The news of that situation can be reported as such:

Today on 11/22/20, there was a multicar accident with multiple injuries and 2 fatalities. Officials say that the weather conditions contributed to the accident. ...

Is that not a statement of fact, but of opinion ?
The 'Officials say' part : would be pure conjecture, from some know-it-all, know nothing government 'official' , sitting in a comfy office, far from the accident scene, perhaps ?

Even if it's the onsite emergency-chief- expert so-and-so : would it not be still just opinion, and not fact ?

Of course : the word 'contributed', really does temper the statement, down to meaninglessness.

One of the drivers having an argument on his hands-free phone, or having neglected to update his glasses for over 5 years, or having a slow digestive system, or screaming kids and a barking dog in the car, or a distracting erection, or a stupid radio-announcer, or overloaded vehicle, or inexperienced drivers, or a distracting billboard, worn tires, faulty brakes, alcohol, drugs, unbalanced prescription meds, stupidity, aggressiveness, or a squirrel crossing the road : could have ..."...contributed to the accident..."...

Thanks 'experts', and 'officials'... LoL !

Would agree with the OP, about all of our inputs, coming through the veil of perception.

Perhaps even some supposed 'facts' : have a subjective angle to them ? ( Social conventions. )

top topics

<< 1   >>

join