It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film-Noir at its best

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

All you folks all spaced-out over COVID and the crazy election; chill out and enjoy this epic film-noir of Raymond Chandlers Farewell My Lovely with the great Robert Mitchum, one of the coolest guys in Hollywood.

This flick is the very essence of Film-noir actually made in 1975 grittily depicting 40’s Los Angelas.

Chill out, get a smoke, drink and some popcorn, and watch…

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Not film noir but I have a soft spot for WW2 movies and this is an interesting variant on the theme.
A young novice help's a US pilot with document's escape from the dastardly NAZI's.
Till we meet again 1944

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Hey, thanks. I watched the opening sequence and I can already tell I'm going to love this movie.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Behold. The best.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Your right literally, for as I said it was made in 75. But the WIKI definition of film noir says;

Film noir (/nwɑːr/; French: [film nwaʁ]) is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. The 1940s and 1950s are generally regarded as the "classic period" of American film noir. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key, black-and-white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography. Many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the hardboiled school of crime fiction that emerged in the United States during the Great Depression.

So literally because of the date and it wasn’t in black and white, though style and content of the movie with the atmosphere are so noir along with Mitchum so everyman, cynical style.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   
What's motherless brooklyn like? I know it's not classic noir, but was wondering if it's worth a watch?

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Your right literally, for as I said it was made in 75. But the WIKI definition of film noir says;

Film noir (/nwɑːr/; French: [film nwaʁ]) is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. The 1940s and 1950s are generally regarded as the "classic period" of American film noir. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key, black-and-white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography. Many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the hardboiled school of crime fiction that emerged in the United States during the Great Depression.

So literally because of the date and it wasn’t in black and white, though style and content of the movie with the atmosphere are so noir along with Mitchum so everyman, cynical style.

Oh NO! sorry if I Came across wrong as far as I am concerned your movie is definitely in the film noir style.

I watched it decades ago myself.

What I actually meant was that the movie I linked was not Film Noir it was a war era film, feel good, feel bad and feel angry with the dastardly enemy, it was a bit of a weepy in it's day too since the young novice died although it ended meaning she went to heaven and escaped the lebensborn (Ironically for a murderous regime it meant fount of life) program.

It was made in 1944 by which time the truth about the Nazi's abducting your pretty blond girls whom they deemed to be of Aryan stock (not really but what THEY defined as Aryan) were they would then be shipped off to a different kind of concentration camp.

These breeding centres were they would have to be nice to there SS customers and accept being raped in the name of Nazi Germany with there children forcibly conceived in these places then being property of the Third Reich (presumably once they were no longer of use these girl's would have been murdered except in perhaps rare circumstances) and to be raised in a manner not unlike that portrayed in the science fiction movie Soldier in which Kurt Russel play's exactly that kind of child.

In fact this kind of thing was actually done with kidnapped Children by Islamic Egypt when Christian children were stolen and raised to be brainwashed Muslim extremists called Janissary's and sent to kill Christian's, these slave soldiers were among the most deadly opponents the Crusaders faced and of course were ethnic Europeans for the most part.

Isis was also doing it in the Egyptian manner but in a far more crude fashion and they never had time to bring those children that they had kidnapped up to adult hood though how many of those Isis kid's in those camp's are actually children of the Isis fanatic's and how many are actually kidnapped children is unknown and may never be known though undeniably many of them will grow up brainwashed having been left in the care of Isis family's and seek to kill and maim in years to come, leaving them even there own children in those conditions is making an enemy that will come back to haunt us in the future and that should have never been allowed since those kid's need deprograming before it is too late and sadly it already is more most of them.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
Behold. The best.

Undoubtedly the most iconic and arguably indeed the best, on a side not though I personally rate Marlow higher though you know Sam Spade was a name that was stolen for some excellent science fiction detectives as well in the form of the shamelessly ripped off Sam Slade in the 2000AD comic book of the 1980's and 90's.
en.wikipedia.org...

Bogart also played Marlow in the Big Sleep a 1946 classic film noir that set the bar even higher in many people's opinion than the Maltese falcon, the Big Sleep was later remade also with Robert Mitchum (a brilliant actor whom in my opinion had his best role in the Wind's or War TV mini series though that is a subjective opinion since he had so many roles over a very long career) in the lead role in 1978.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Love film noir.......thanks

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Maltese Falcon is undoubtedly the greatest Film Noir ever, IMO. And put Bogie on the map...

It had everything. The cynical cool detective fighting the cops and the bandits. The mysterious lady in distress, the odd-ball sinister operators, and that ending.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Maltese Falcon is undoubtedly the greatest Film Noir ever,

Good but not as good as " The Third Man"

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I personally have to agree but in a democratic system the Maltese falcon win's out if only because it is the more famous movie.

Also there was a black out of Orson Well's movies in part due to persecution for his political beliefs (too far left for me I do have to say and he would have been a pauper in the system he believed in but at least he was a conscientious man whom believed in something? - he was also a genius movie director - if no Hitchcock - and a brilliant and versatile actor capable of wearing both the hero's and the villain's hats equally effectively and justifiably remembered as one of the greatest actors of his age, he was also not a bad writer by any means) and also due to FBI Hoover witch hunt's.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I like the big sleep but it’s got that black actor who plays a painfully hard to watch caricature of a black man. It’s too much at times. The maltese falcon tho is seamless all the way through.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Yeah, with Joseph Cotton, and the one and only Orson Wells. That was great too

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Very good point, much that was made back then did indeed play on stereotypes and often relegated people to roles based on racial stereotypes, it was a different world of course and far more oppressive for black actors before the war.

That said another of Bogy's great film's Casablanca - perhaps his greatest - did a pretty good job of stereotyping the morrocan's.

Can't see it on youtube but it is on a site called archive.org, should anyone feel like walking into a certain bar that is (and assuming it is not regionally blocked).
archive.org...

I am personally against stereotyping but it can be very funny at time's.
This is the very first episode of a British comedy series called Allo Allo and it got much better and much funnier in later episodes.

Oddly it was apparently even more popular in Germany though I am not sure how they dubbed it and I do not know how the French or the Italian's took it.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
stuffed if i know whhat genre it is but if anyone's interested here's the executioner's song- Tommy Lee Jones, Rosanna Arquette & others. Not big on films really but found this captivating for 2 hours whilst I was forced into captivity here in Adelaide.

brandnewtube.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Casablanca is outstanding. Im actually a brit who was raised in the US. I was in London in the 90’s by myself as a teenager and I drunkly lost my green card in a taxi. I had to get letters of transit like in casablanca to get back into the country.

Key largo is great film. More gangster stuff. The drunk is great in that.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Dp
edit on 21-11-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Well, actually I got the big sleep confused with high sierra so scratch that comment hahaha

new topics

top topics

join