It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 million Americans set to lose unemployment benefits the day after Christmas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Looks like it's going to be a frosty Christmas.

About 12 million jobless workers around the U.S. will lose their unemployment benefits the day after Christmas, according to a new analysis. The benefits cutoff could push many households into poverty while creating headwinds for the economic recovery, experts say.

Two key government programs authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, or CARES Act expire on December 26. One is the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program, which provides jobless aid to freelance and gig workers. That would deprive 7.3 million workers of urgently needed income, according to a study released Wednesday by The Century Foundation, a progressive think tank.

Another 4.6 million workers face being dropped from Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) benefits, another CARES Act program that provides an additional 13 weeks of jobless aid beyond the typical 26 weeks that states provide, the analysis found.

Source

And then we have scenes like this in Texas:

Thousands Line Up In Dallas For North Texas Food Bank’s ‘Largest Mobile Food Distribution Ever’

Whatever. Did we reach record highs in Wallstreet a week ago right? It was all the rage right? Nothing to see here.

But the Democrats! But the Republicans

They both have their dirty hands in the honeypot. BOTH. You want to start off with Nancy Pelosi? Let's do it. She's head deep in all this crap. I'm prepared to stand here as a leftist and say this. No problem. Fellow ATsers with a conservative bend prepared to do the same with Mitch? Anybody? Try for a consensus? Something is wrong about this country. Record unemployment, record poverty, people going hungry, and yet our representatives are focus on d**k measurements following the recent election. It's well and truly sad. The people should be outside congress calling for resignations right now. Can we come to a consensus here? For once I'd like to stand hand in hand with fellow ATSers and call out DC. THIS is not right.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Sounds like a great reason against lockdowns
edit on 18-11-2020 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Nice OP. Thank you for bringing this to light

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Uncle Sam always brings the best christmas presents.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We need to stop these damn lockdowns and let people get back to work. Tell your State and Federal representatives to stop these stupid COVID restrictions.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I agree with you. It’s both sides playing politics with our money and our lives. They have known about this for many months and have say on their hands spewing fear and doing nothing to help. The whole situation is Bullsh*t from the election and shutdowns. If I could talk my wife into leaving I would be gone.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The picture says it all really.

The best week on the stock market was the worst for it's people.

Realize we're owned by evil. Evil runs this world at present and the darkness is about to thicken. Love your neighbor as yourself because soon they'll probably save your life.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

It's America's Christmas gift for being good little boys and girls, following the rules, closing down their businesses and taking the 'rona bux.

A big ole boot right up the ass.
edit on 18/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Who would have though locking people down would result in people not having jobs?

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What we got no confidence in Joey B? He will get it done, Americans don't panic. Joey's got green energy jobs lined up for everyone. Of course, that's only after we take care of the nasty COVID. Right

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Pennsylvanians can thank Governor Wolf for this situation. He is the reason that they are laid off.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

The best week on the stock market was the worst for it's people.

People need to realize that the stock market isn’t the economy. It’s economy adjacent, but it’s far from a measurement of how people in America are doing financially.

Trump has used it as a metric for how great things are going under his watch. Which is a total misrepresentation.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I sent an email to Mitch last week! Nancy’s a lost cause! I recognize most of Congress has NO clue how hard it is on people. Shame on them for not helping more.

I encounter people every other week lately who tell me they lost their jobs, that all their friends lost their jobs, and I am a complete stranger to them. The look of desperation and shock in their eyes is not something I’ve ever seen in grown men before.

I joked with one guy that I would rather live in a treehouse far away from this, and he was dead serious when he told me that’s what he wanted to do too. He looked frantic, and was ranting about the current status of the world
Congress is the biggest problem of all IMO.

They have deserted the American people. WHY?????

Do they know something we don’t, ELE perhaps, or is a mass migration and infighting what they want?

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Can we come to a consensus here? For once I'd like to stand hand in hand with fellow ATSers and call out DC. THIS is not right.

No doubt about it we need each other.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ahhh capitalism is perfect innit?

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
"Create the problem, encourage the reaction "something must be done", and then offer the solution. It is summed up by the Freemason motto 'Ordo Ab Chao' -order out of chaos. Create the chaos and then offer the way to restore order."
-David Icke

It's the coming solution that should concern the world.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So people are upset at the govt for not handing out money to non-working people? wth

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: KiwiNite
Ahhh capitalism is perfect innit?

I am poor as far as most Americans would view me, I live in a poor neighborhood,every year it get worse,I rent,

Born in 1950 I watched these once beautiful neighborhoods go to #e, the way I see it it America is deteriorating and has been for quite a while.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

These aren't people willingly stopped working to get free money, these are people who were forced to stop working, got given this money and were told don't worry it'll be alright, just a couple weeks and are being told to go # themselves the day after Christmas with no return to normalcy planned.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Somethings wrong with the system, alright.

We, the People, haven't been forced to drag them out off their collective thrones yet and burn their mansions down! We are so distracted with social media, the 24/7 news cycle, interior arguments, left vs. right, youtube cat videos, etc... that we never actually care enough to enact change.

Instead we argue about which old, rich, white man should keep this charade going.

It's good to see the likes of Josh Hawley (R-MO) come in and shake things up, though. Let's keep an eye on him. He seems to have potential! (unlike the rest of the lifers like Mitch and Nancy)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join