It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'You Have Zero Privacy’ Says an Internal RCMP Presentation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
For those of you that don't know, the RCMP are basically Canada's FBI.

An internal RCMP presentation was accidently made public detailing massive online tracking and surveillance under Project Wide Awake, which had been previously condemned for that exact thing.

The RCMP previously denied that level of monitoring was occuring and in this internal presentation even mock the idea that people have privacy.

thetyee.ca...

A 3,000-page batch of internal communications from the RCMP obtained by The Tyee provides a window into how the force builds its capabilities to spy on internet users and works to hide its methods from the public.

The emails and documents pertain to the RCMP’s Tactical Internet Operation Support unit based at the national headquarters in Ottawa and its advanced web monitoring program called Project Wide Awake.

The files include an internal RCMP presentation that contradict how the force has characterized Project Wide Awake to Canada’s privacy commissioner and The Tyee in past emails. A slide labels the program’s activities “Social Media Surveillance,” despite the RCMP having denied that description applied.

Communications show one high-level officer blasting the project before leaving the RCMP

Other members were jokingly dismissive of public concerns about privacy violations — a training slide for the project says: “You have zero privacy anyway, get over it.”

The documents reveal the RCMP:

Gained permission to hide sole-source contracts for Project Wide Awake from the public through a “national security exception.”

Discussed “tier three” covert operations involving the use of proxies — intermediary computers located elsewhere — to hide RCMP involvement with spying activities.

Purchased software with an aim to search “Darknet,” which it defined to include “private communications” and those from “political protests.”

Has used a tool to unmask lists of “friends” on Facebook for users that specifically set friends’ information to private on the platform.

Was “wasting resources, wasting time, wasting money” on IT projects, according to the then RCMP chief information officer.

Took the names for Project Wide Awake and other internet surveillance programs from the X-Men comic book series, in which illegal government programs hunt human “mutants.”

McPhail found troubling the documents reflect an RCMP view that any communication on the internet can be assumed fair game for surveillance because it’s already in a public realm. “It’s one thing to understand that an individual will see your passing communication, and quite another thing to assume that everything you’ve ever written will be subjected to an analysis by the state.”

Tier 3 operations by the RCMP hide any association with the force; Tier 2 operations are ‘discreet’ but ‘links to RCMP possible.’

I'm not one of those defund the police type people. Police are necessary for society. But this goes far beyond what's necessary. This turns everyone into a suspect all the time.

While people should be careful using Facebook and other things for this exact reason. This extreme level of surveillance and monitoring over the entire country is just completely unacceptable in a free society.

Even down there in America, politicians are being lobbied hard to make encryption illegal.

The government does not have the right to endlessly monitor, track and surveil everybody just because.
edit on 17/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Troodooo has made it crystal clear that he's on board with the global elite agenda.

Would expect nothing less than a full Canadian patriot act

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I would kind of expect people to see this and think, "Oh, wow! Maybe I shouldn't post my life online openly and publicly for police to surveil me!" and delete their social media accounts, but we all know that won't happen.

I wish everyone would make their job harder by not providing them with more info than necessary.

I'm also not anti-police, but I am pro-privacy.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I dunno, I tend to go with the, maintain a completely neutral barely used social media profile with wholesome things like work and family. Speak nothing about politics or my opinions on anything ever....and save all the other # for vague pseudonymous internet accounts.

If they wanna go look at my facebook, let 'em, maybe they'll stop there. It's basically an address book for people who's phone numbers I don't have.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I'm sure they'd have little to no trouble figuring out who anyone on here was if ATS was on anyone's radar.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I'm sure they'd have little to no trouble figuring out who anyone on here was if ATS was on anyone's radar.

And when they do what are they gonna do? Ride down here on their horsies to get me?

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The RCM Ponies are the real Canadian heroes. Maple syrup in their veins, high school drop outs at the reins.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I welcome the challenge. Honestly, anyone that wants to find me because of any nonsense I say on ATS is welcome to try. I'll have a cold beer and doob ready for ya.

As far as cops go, if they want to come arrest me, there's probably not much I can do about it...except as I said in another thread, vanish into the forest and mountains surrounding me. There's lots of those though.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
In other news, it's been said that at night, it gets dark. Water was found to be wet. Other revelations to come.

Seriously, we here at ATS know they are watching everything. it's all going into servers "off site", and saved by third party folks that used to work for the letter folks. It's been explained, laid out, and is now not a secret. Everything you do from sending e-mail, to text. to talking to your Echo is recorded, categorized and saved. There are no secrets. I like to think I'm smarter since I don't have a echo, or other external device. About the time I get really smug, my iPhone asks me if I could repeat what I just said. Siri knows. She tells all my secrets. that bitch isn't loyal. You have a voice activated remote for you fire stick? recording device.

Just accept it. We had laws in place to protect against this, but we were just a little bit stupid. See, we also let the same guys who would protect us and arrest the bad guys be the ones to save this data and therefore, break the laws they should be enforcing.

Live your life with no regrets. Say what you mean, and if you break the law, be sure you can do the time.
IMHO.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I would kind of expect people to see this and think, "Oh, wow! Maybe I shouldn't post my life online openly and publicly for police to surveil me!" and delete their social media accounts, but we all know that won't happen.

Twenty years ago, people paid to maintain their privacy. There were some great cyber services like Sophos and Fortinet. Now people pay Amazon and Google to take their privacy away.

Amazon filed a patent application for an algorithm that would let future versions of the device identify statements of interest, such as ‘I love skiing’, enabling the speaker to be monitored based on their interests and targeted for related advertising. A Google patent application describes using a future release of it smart Home system to monitor and control everything from screen time and hygiene habits, to meal and travel schedules and other activities.

Spying on you

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Yep! My own father infamously didn't get high speed internet until he had to because, "I don't need weirdos from the internet spying on me any faster than they all ready are." Here we are 20 years later and he's been scammed by those "Like and comment to win this Tiny House!" scams on Facebook FOUR TIMES!!

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Here we are 20 years later and he's been scammed by those "Like and comment to win this Tiny House!" scams on Facebook FOUR TIMES!!

Sorry?

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Here we are 20 years later and he's been scammed by those "Like and comment to win this Tiny House!" scams on Facebook FOUR TIMES!!

Sorry?

C'mon, I would think you'd be more creative. Like maybe a New Jersey version of the Nigerian prince scam?

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I always thought Bradbury got it closer with farenheit 451 than Orwell did.

Giant TVs, people drugged out and plugged into earbuds, people who hate knowledge and support censorship.

Just because there's no literal firemen burning books...they might as well be.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Sorry?

Sorry. You've never heard of these?
It's a facebook page titled "Free Luxury Tiny House Grand Opening 2020" etc. and they make a post with a ton of fake pictures of like...literal mansions, and state that to enter to win the "Luxury Tiny House", you have to like and comment and share the post. Then they send the "winners" (everyone) a form to fill out saying they need a credit card to file "administration fees" so they can ship you the Luxury Tiny House. ... then, mysteriously, it never arrives, and you start getting charged for $15,000 child trafficking cabinets on Wayfair.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

No, I heard of them, I meant not so sorry that it was me.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Fools and their money. Can't blame the sanitation engineers in NJ for sanitizing.

top topics

join