It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mushroom hunter unearths gorgeous Bronze Age sword

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What’s the estimated value of this sword?

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
All on how much someone would pay my guess is guys out there would pay MILLIONS . even ( quoting Trump ) tens of millions .
Must have been owned By some high ranking person General or some such .
way NICE engravings
edit on 17-11-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Odd the original owner of the sword didn't take it to a blacksmith and have it reforged. The metal used would have been valuable and hard to come by. Wonder if the bearer was attacked and overwhelmed by thieves? Perhaps it was used as a burial marker and the bones even dissolved after 1500-2000 years? The break happening much later? I wonder.
edit on 17-11-2020 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The area may have been covered in water. Often high value objects were thrown into water.as part of a ritual
a reply to: Flavian

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

These sorts of finds are discovered all over Northern Europe (ritually broken weapons) so there was something definitely going on (as opposed to simply being lost or abandoned). What that something actually was is certainly open to interpretation - as you rightly say, one of the most interesting aspects of archeology is the "why"?

That metal box you mention would drive me to distraction! Was it completely entombed in the wall or do you think there may have access at some point?

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

These sorts of finds are discovered all over Northern Europe (ritually broken weapons) so there was something definitely going on (as opposed to simply being lost or abandoned). What that something actually was is certainly open to interpretation - as you rightly say, one of the most interesting aspects of archeology is the "why"?

That metal box you mention would drive me to distraction! Was it completely entombed in the wall or do you think there may have access at some point?

The wall . .68 meters wide and part of the foundation of a building in Kalavasos Cyprus.

cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com...

It might be the wall on the lower left (or very similar to it). We disassembled it only so we could get to an earlier filled in well that was right next to it - if not we'd never have found it.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Hmm, old copper mining area. Ancient copper depository? Which could have been long emptied and then built over?

As an aside, i bet that was a tough choice for you. Do you fancy excavating in Cyprus? Yes, ok then!

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That's amazing. And one of the perks of living in ancient lands that have a history going back hundreds of millenia. Best we'd likely find around here that dates back beyond 350 to 400 years would be a stone arrowhead.

Thanks for the non-political breath of fresh air. S&F

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I think everyone needs a break from Politics, regardless of which nation people currently reside in. The craftsmanship on the sword is exceptional. And, as it appears to have been ritually broken, would have made one hell of an offering.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I've always been amazed at the craftsmanship of not only ancient artifacts like this sword, but also of things like castles. How in the world did they etch those designs and build 50' columns with a 15' diameter made of solid marble. Or the ceilings that had etching all over them. I have a quite vivid imagination and find it hard to wrap my head around things like that.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
wait wait....no King Arthur comments????

Lol, I thought about that... But since it was a Bronze Age sword, I withheld my comments. It was there about 2,000 years before King Arthur was around.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I've always been amazed at the craftsmanship of not only ancient artifacts like this sword, but also of things like castles. How in the world did they etch those designs and build 50' columns with a 15' diameter made of solid marble. Or the ceilings that had etching all over them. I have a quite vivid imagination and find it hard to wrap my head around things like that.

Columns?

Yeah they had the expertise and knowledge to do them either as a solid piece or more cheaply as 'disks'.

www.eeescience.utoledo.edu...

Start at page 27 and you can see a number of unfinished columns left in situ in quarries, page 39 has another interesting image of abandoned columns in a quarry.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Dude must have been trippin' when he found it.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Take it to Pawn Stars:

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   
This is worth 5 stars! The most interesting thing on the internet, and It is non petty. I can’t believe how humanity fell this year into a culture less oblivion. It’s like the media has zero intellect, or ability to work for an interesting story.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Beautiful.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: druid1
The area may have been covered in water. Often high value objects were thrown into water.as part of a ritual
a reply to: Flavian

They still are.

Hindus the world over throw offerings into rivers. Apparently, if you find one it's OK to take it because it's a blessing.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Thank you gortex indeed.

OMG ! That is one of the most awesome things if read in quite some time.

I thank you my fellow member for posting this. Much appreciation.

See that's the thing about Europe. You can just be wondering thru the woods
trip'n. And out of no where fall on sword from any point in time.
edit on 21-11-2020 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Roman Novák was out hunting for edible mushrooms

Um, you don't HUNT for mushrooms. You collect them, you search for them, you pick them. Hunting implies something that can try to run away from you, so you have to hunt them down. How many running mushrooms do you know?

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoujikina

Already dealt with on page 1.

Mushroom hunting
Mushroom hunting, mushrooming, mushroom picking, mushroom foraging, and similar terms describe the activity of gathering mushrooms in the wild, typically for food.
en.wikipedia.org...

Mushroom hunting is just one of the many names given to the pastime of searching for wild mushrooms.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join