It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested in New York City attack on actor Rick Moranis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Suspect Marquis Ventura was spotted by transit officers in the subway system near 72nd Street and Broadway, a few blocks from where the Oct. 1 assault took place at Central Park West near 70th Street, Sgt. Anwar Ishmael said.

Police did not identify the victim as Moranis but referred to the assault outside the actor's Upper West Side building. Moranis was punched by a man in an "I Love NY" sweatshirt, and the assault was captured on security video.

www.nbcnews.com... =algorithm

So the attack was completely unprovoked. The suspect is a man of color. Rick Moranis is white.

Why isn't this considered a hate crime, ATS? 🤔

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I remember starting a thread to ask about it when it all happened at first.

I'm just glad they caught the guy. So many of these unprovoked attacks go unsolved. At the time, the speculation was whether or not it was the Knock-out Game.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Unprovoked assaults happen all the time. We're only hearing about it because it's somebody 'famous' (although admittedly I do not know the person).

Whilst I do feel sorry for the undeserved assault committed, it wouldn't even be news if it were you or I.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Not entirely true.

It would be local news.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

Suspect Marquis Ventura was spotted by transit officers in the subway system near 72nd Street and Broadway, a few blocks from where the Oct. 1 assault took place at Central Park West near 70th Street, Sgt. Anwar Ishmael said.

Police did not identify the victim as Moranis but referred to the assault outside the actor's Upper West Side building. Moranis was punched by a man in an "I Love NY" sweatshirt, and the assault was captured on security video.

So the attack was completely unprovoked. The suspect is a man of color. Rick Moranis is white.

Just because two people are of different ethnic backgrounds, it doesn't always equate a hate crime when violence is involved. Now, this was unprovoked but perhaps it was an attempted mugging? I don't think it's right and I hope the guy is punished for it and doubly so if it does turn out to be a hate crime. But never assume.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Unprovoked assaults happen all the time. We're only hearing about it because it's somebody 'famous' (although admittedly I do not know the person).

Whilst I do feel sorry for the undeserved assault committed, it wouldn't even be news if it were you or I.

You've never seen Ghostbusters or Honey I Shrunk the Kids?

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Not entirely true.

It would be local news.

You really think an unprovoked assault in New York makes the news every time if it's just on a commoner?

Permit me to disagree.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Ghostbusters when I was very young and Honey I Shrunk The Kids I think I've seen bits of it when it was too hot at primary (elementary) school but do not remember anything specific.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

He was the dweeb that became the Gatekeeper in GB and the Dad in HIStK, among many other roles.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Thanks, I can't really remember it though.

There are so many 'cult' and classic movies I've not seen that it infuriates some people.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
END HIM

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Just because two people are of different ethnic backgrounds, it doesn't always equate a hate crime when violence is involved. Now, this was unprovoked but perhaps it was an attempted mugging? I don't think it's right and I hope the guy is punished for it and doubly so if it does turn out to be a hate crime. But never assume.

No Rationalizations Without Representations !

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
How have you never seen Spaceballs?

I see your schwartz is as big as mine.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

you must walk with a stoop carrying all that white guilt around..

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

This one is good for a laf.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

What are you talking about, I carry no guilt around, white or otherwise. I have absolutely 0 to feel guilty for.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think the punishment should come with a bit of Canadian flair... Stand him up against a wall and shoot pucks at him until he goes down.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I'm a New Yorker and attacks like these in broad daylight DO usually make the local news here regardless of the victim's status if captured on the street cams.

My point in the OP is that especially in today's climate this incident would instantly be labeled a hate crime if the racial makeups were reversed. Not only that, it would likely be promoted to national news because.....ya know, black lives matter.

edit on 15-11-2020 by AgarthaSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Did the suspect give any indication that this was racially motivated?

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

When is Joe Biden and the DNC going to disavow Brown Supremacist terrorism in the US?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join