It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good old (and new) feller westerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Sometimes when the womerns go to visit friends or go shopping, us fellers can kick back with a good ol' western.
Bank robbin', whiskey drinkin', hard ridin', badman killin', and lots of heroics.

The first names that come to mind are John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Among my favorites are The Shootist and Josey Wales.
Please share your favorites here.

There are some really good westerns that went under the radar. Here's a few good ones that generally don't make the critics faves
for whatever reason. Some of them are really different, and bend the genre a bit. I highly recommend them.

1. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018) A six-part anthology
2. Dead Man (1995) with Johnny Depp
3. Wild Bill (1995) with Jeff Bridges
4. Bone Tomahawk (2015) with Kurt Russell

Here's a great western from around 1960 that starred and was directed by Marlon Brando. It's a must see.

One-Eyed Jacks

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I'm a Womern, but I love Westerns. One new style Western I loves was The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot. If you like more conceptual western style movies, it's excellent.
edit on 13-11-2020 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I like Silverado and Tombstone.
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I saw it. It was super weird, which is why I liked it. Sam Elliot is great.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I like Appaloosa and paint your wagons.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   
One of my favorites because it was my biggest payday as an actor... 19 days at union scale!!

and this one when I started as a BG extra....

edit on 13-11-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Have you guys seen Bone Tomahawk? I saw it on Amazon Prime, not sure if it's still there. Give it a shot, it's a little different than your typical western.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I like Silverado and Tombstone.
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

Silverado was good and loved Tombstone

Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch is a must-see classic

Obviously, the Good The Bad and The Ugly, but all of Clint's westerns are classic from Hang em high, Fistful of Dollars, For a few Dollars more, to High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and the Unforgiven

always liked Trinity and Trinity is still my name too.

Little Big Man is pretty good

The original The Magnificent Seven, The Longriders

so many others
edit on 13-11-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: v3g4S

Have you guys seen Bone Tomahawk? I saw it on Amazon Prime, not sure if it's still there. Give it a shot, it's a little different than your typical western.

Bone Tomahawk definitely worth a watch, what is everybody's feelings on "The Hateful Eight" somehow it is a tad below most of the others, it's entertaining but is missing something.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I found it a little slow and obvious. It's claustrophobic for a Western. Reminded me of the old Clue movie.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Matthew Fox was great in Bone Tomahawk. What an intense movie!
I stopped watching The Hateful Eight after about 30 minutes. It just didn't interest me.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I found it a little slow and obvious. It's claustrophobic for a Western. Reminded me of the old Clue movie.

That's pretty much true LOL, by the end I didn't care who lived or died

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Ha. Honestly, they could have all died.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Not exactly a movie but this one will enhance your western/cowboy mood. 100%

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Long Riders scene...Keith Carradine as Jim Younger

Dead Man...Johnny Depp

A favorite scene from Josey Wales

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I love The Man With No Name trilogy, including Clint's continuation of it after Serge passed on. Sergio Leone is just badass.

Dead Man was pretty wicked.

Tombstone was great.

I do like lighter stuff like McClintock and North to Alaska.

Once Upon a Time in the West had the best kind of teaser / intro.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Ah, now we're talkin. I was raised on black and white movie westerns playing on our small 12 inch TV on Saturday mornings. I grew up with Hoppy, and Gene Autry, the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid. ( Hey Cisco, le'ts went. Ahh, Poncho. Or was it the other way around)

For me, the best was Stagecoach. Early John Wayne, before he became and icon of Americanism. Back when he was doing those one reelers. They were all the same. Bad guys robbing and stealing and into town comes the hero with his comic sidekick. My favorite of course was Gabby Hayes.

Even as a young kid I always wondered why at least half the time the hero would ride off into the sunset leaving the pretty gal standing alone with oozing sex appeal. Heading off into the West with Gabby Hayes leaving the gal behind.

So yeah, where was I,,,,oh yeah, Stagecoach. It had it all. Indians and bad guys. A couple of pretty gals, the capitalist banker and the old drunk shotgun. And Andy Devine driving the stagecoach.

Another was HIgh Noon. Really bad bad guys. And Gary Cooper and OMG, Grace Kelly. What a showdown hiding around town as the sheriff takes them all down one at a time until Grace kills the one from an upstairs window.

Oh oh, I almost forgot. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. ''think ya used enough dynamite there Butch?''

But more modern if you can consider 1992 modern, was Eastwoods ''Unforgiven'' . That one tore the good guy bad guy paradigm up. Nitty gritty, that one makes my top five easily.

Opps, How about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Lee Marvin plays as good a heartless bully as ever there was with Strother Martin and Lee Van Cleef as his to henchmen.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Big western fan. The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite. All the John Wayne ones. Gunsmoke and Rawhide I'm always watching. But for an "ATS-type western" I recommend checking out Purgatory. Mid to late 90s.

top topics

join