It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Exploding Whale remastered: 50th anniversary

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I dunno, why not? Too much politics, let's watch a whale explode in all its newly remastered glory.

Hell yeah

Oh yeah, context, I guess it's the 50th anniversary of this event or something so the original news casters remastered the footage. I dunno there's some info below.

katu.com...

FLORENCE, Ore — On November 9, 1970, a 45-foot sperm whale had washed up on the beach near Florence, but as KATU reporter Paul Linnman noted at the time, it later became "a stinking whale of a problem."

Three days later, on November 12, the dead whale exploded into history with what has been described as the first-ever viral news story.

Yeah pretty historical and all. The first viral video. I'm guessing nobody made it this far and stopped at the spontaneously exploding whale, so i'll leave it at this.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Ha....this was one of the craziest videos ever. There was whale everywhere....all over cars and everything.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
THought you were talking about something like this... although I remember that old video

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Ahhh the Problem solving and deductive powers of the human mind are truly baffling .

I'm not sure it was a bad idea , well I guess yea maybe it was.

Something tells me the Highway department had some cases of Dynamite laying around and they were just looking for a reason ot use them.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

lol

had he been standing in front of that it would have been very entertaining .

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Oh.... It was a real exploding whale. I thought maybe it was an album by Emerson, Lake and Palmer that got remastered or something.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Ha....this was one of the craziest videos ever. There was whale everywhere....all over cars and everything.

Is falling whale bits covered under auto insurance?

And we covered it

edit on 12-11-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I bet it took them about 30 seconds to come up with the idea to blow up that whale, and about 3 hours to come up with enough reasons for it to be the only option

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

That car is a 1969 Oldsmobile 98 LS. I had one just like it, the same color and same black vinyl top!

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Awesome! Totally AWESOME!!

That is too funny to be true but was! Ah, the 70’s. Like the other video shows, the guts would bloat and if in the water, it would mostly float (why dead bodies float unless weighed down. Eh, Buffalo Bill?). The amount of pressure is impressive!

The problem is that they did not use a shaped charge but stuck a bunch of boxes on one side. Implosion would probably have been the better option!

Anyone notice the lack of PETA activists??!

Ah, the 70’s!!

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Spoken like you've had some experience with planning things in this arena

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Lmao. Ouch.

They were like “Hold our beers...”

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I had the great fortune of seeing that in a computer lab rather than waiting an hour over the phone. It was also why I bought a Zip Drive and Zip disks...and carried them with me.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Yes!!! That’s more like it. Ughhh. I did give points tho for the convertible damage in the op’s video.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Awesome! Totally AWESOME!!

That is too funny to be true but was! Ah, the 70’s. Like the other video shows, the guts would bloat and if in the water, it would mostly float (why dead bodies float unless weighed down. Eh, Buffalo Bill?). The amount of pressure is impressive!

The problem is that they did not use a shaped charge but stuck a bunch of boxes on one side. Implosion would probably have been the better option!

Anyone notice the lack of PETA activists??!

Ah, the 70’s!!

Different time! People didn't get all bent out of shape back then. Just blow that b*tch up and let the crabs and seagulls take care of it! LOL.

Today, they'd need to do an environmental study. Would have to rope it off for at least a square mile. Shut down airspace.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Come on, I found an excuse to post an exploding whale in the history forum. It's a legit historical anniversary.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 12:05 AM
link   
'Murica....F YEAH!

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
THought you were talking about something like this... although I remember that old video

Slow cooked to perfection. Add a bit of those tender giblets to some ramen, top it off with some egg.

edit on 11/13/2020 by Tundra because: Beer

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   

And afterward, it would have become a major Hazmat zone with all the people there covered in itty, bitty bits of whale considered dangerously contaminated.

I'll bet everyone went home and simply took a shower and chucked the clothes in the wash.

This does show that cartoons solutions and physics just don't work, not like they're advertised although the Mythbusters did manage to disintegrate a cement truck fairly thoroughly, so what they were attempting was theoretically possible.

And even then, there are some big chunks left, and the explosive was down inside the truck, not just piled up around it. So I think they really didn't think much about what they were doing.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I needed a laugh this morning.

Thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join