It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

November Hurricane named Eta could Hit the Florida Keys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said declared hurricane and storm surge warnings for the Keys from Ocean Reef to the Dry Tortugas, including Florida Bay, with the storm expected to reach that area by Sunday night or early Monday.

Florida officials closed beaches, ports and COVID testing sites, shut down public transportation and urged residents to stay off the street. Several shelters also opened in Miami and the Florida Keys for residents in mobile homes and low lying areas.

Broward County also shut down in-person schooling Monday and Miami seemed poised to do the same.
Eta expected to be hurricane and strike Florida Keys

On Sunday afternoon Eta cut across Cuba and is now headed for Florida.

It had maximum sustained winds of 65 mph and is moving northwest at about 14mph.

The storm flooded the coast and caused rivers to rise. 25,000 people had to be evacuated and so far, it looks like there were no deaths. I hope it stays that way.

I also hope, at this time of the year It will not be able to pick up too much energy traveling over water to Florida.

Live Tracking

Hurricane Eta Beach Cam, Miami Beach, Florida *you have to click the link under "Video unavailable" and watch this one on YT

Guy living in his car in South Florida

edit on 8-11-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

(post by MRinder removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I've vacationed in the Keys a few times , they are particularly vulnerable to a direct hurricane hit.

I wouldn't wanna be there that is for sure.

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So far the weather has been horrible here in Miami. Streets are flooded. Theres currently a small lake in front of my house. Last night the winds were howling like crazy. Right now it’s just constant rain. And it looks like we will be getting a week of this. Ugh.

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
So far the weather has been horrible here in Miami. Streets are flooded. Theres currently a small lake in front of my house. Last night the winds were howling like crazy. Right now it’s just constant rain. And it looks like we will be getting a week of this. Ugh.

I'm a bit North of you, space coast. It's just starting to rain now. The winds have been Gusty since yesterday and becoming more consistent. Once this goes out to the gulf it's supposed to cross back towards the east possibly a hurricane the second pass back over FL. The rain is supposed to last for days. We've had so much rain we have nowhere for the rain to go. Places will flood.

I've been watching this storm for about a week, I think. I've never seen a storm change directions, energy, intensity as much as this one has. Before it hit the islands days ago it was a Cat 1, suddenly, it strengthened to a strong Cat 4. Very unpredictable system.
edit on 8-11-2020 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: summer5

I know it’s crazy. Eta is wandering around like a drunken sailor.

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

So what is the actual Estimated Time of Arrival? Is the storm upon us?

edit on 8-11-2020 by panoz77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Hang in there and stay as safe as you can.

I hope all in the path are spared any loss.

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: summer5

I'm a bit North of you, space coast. It's just starting to rain now. The winds have been Gusty since yesterday and becoming more consistent. Once this goes out to the gulf it's supposed to cross back towards the east possibly a hurricane the second pass back over FL. The rain is supposed to last for days. We've had so much rain we have nowhere for the rain to go. Places will flood.

I've been watching this storm for about a week, I think. I've never seen a storm change directions, energy, intensity as much as this one has. Before it hit the islands days ago it was a Cat 1, suddenly, it strengthened to a strong Cat 4. Very unpredictable system.

Thanks for the report.

Be careful and keep us updated if you can.

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

So what is the actual Estimated Time of Arrival? Is the storm upon us?

1PM on Friday.

Subject to change.

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

So, basically just a bigger seabreeze storm.

I grew up Suncoast, I kid, I kid
Sort of, I don't miss the state itself any, but I miss the hell out of the wild weather. Surfed in squalls with my best friend riiiight after Georges skirted up the coast back in the 90's (98, was it?) We ended up going going about a mile up-key without even realizing it, lol, boy was her mom pissed. The fact that it was a hurricane didn't phase us, not paying attention to the currents & getting our asses chewed made us sweat. Ah, the 90's, most of what we did back then for kicks would be considered insane today.

MI weather can get a little crazy, but it holds no candle to what I'm used to. Anything over 40MPH and they get wary. Over 60 & they start panicking (wood frame homes & way more trees, I get it) But they can sure handle ice storms or 2 feet of snow suddenly dropping out of the sky like champs, though

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Ok, to keep the joking separate from the serious, isn't this the first time Eta has ever been used for a storm name? I'm pretty sure it is. I'd have to double-check the storm strength records, but I'm also fairly certain this is the latest (known) Cat 4 on record, too. Quick edit: I know its not a 4 now, but am pretty sure it was either just before or at Mexico landfall (or am I thinking of Zeta here?)

I'd squirm over that, but really, we haven't been keeping records very long in the grand scheme of things, and for all we know, this could have occurred before. I went to school with a couple of Seminole kids, they insisted their tribal stories said storms used to be worse & more often than today. I'm not Seminole, but I had (and still have) no reason to doubt them.
edit on 11/8/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

All in all. It's been a lot of wind. A lot of rain. Plenty of street flooding.

Can't leave my house right now because of the street flooding.

new topics

top topics

join