It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods Bans Employees Wearing Poppies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

U.S.-based Whole Foods Market says poppies aren't allowed under its recently updated uniform policy, which affects employees at its 14 locations across Canada.
But the company won't say why.

CBC

In Canada, Remembrance Day is a big deal. On November 11th we pay our respects to fallen soldiers and veterans.

One way we show our support is by donating to local legions that support and uplift veterans (and seniors, and communities in general) as we purchase symbolic poppies in stores through October and November.

For a store to deny poppy sales, or poppy wearing by employees, is truly un-Canadian, and Whole Foods will absolutely get a public whipping for it (with a long string of melted poutine cheese) if they don't turn around.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Friday he'll make it illegal for businesses in the province to prohibit employees from wearing poppies.

Doug Ford isn't my favourite politician, but if he does this, Canada will at least love him for that.

I understand that Whole Foods donates an amount to the legion, but Canada holds very strong when it comes to Remembrance Day respects, and for Whole Foods to deny employees this small token of their appreciation for some of the freedoms Canada enjoys is beyond petty.

I predict they'll backpedal appropriately.

Most Canadians love their service members and hold veterans of all allied countries in high regard. This move by Whole Foods is just truly disgusting.

I don't get worked up about many things, but I hated reading this today.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
In Britain, hostility to wearing poppies is a left-wing, anti-army thing. Also radical Muslim, I think, for some reason I haven't worked out yet. Is it likely to be the same in Canada?

edit on 6-11-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
SHut up and do as you are told.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I've personally never met a Canadian who was anti-poppy, and I think it's not an issue that really gets reported on because 1)it's miniscule; and, 2)no one would want to bring attention to it.
The muslim members of our community are at the cenotaph every year just like the non muslims, so I'm not sure about that particular issue either.

It could definitely be an anti-war sentiment, but I suppose (in my opinion) that would be a little misplaced.

Who knows I suppose, but for a business to deny an employee, I find it personally disgusting.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Rememberance day is one of the few things I still get patriotic over. It's not about politics. It's about paying respect to the people who fought and died for freedom. Who fought and died so we can have the lives we have today. The children who grew up without fathers, the families that were broken by war, all the lives lost so tyranny and oppression could be stopped.

# whole foods.
edit on 6/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

By Whole Foods? Laughable.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Yep! F#@$ 'em.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So maybe it's an "American corporate insensitivity" story.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In Britain, hostility to wearing poppies is a left-wing, anti-army thing. Also radical Muslim, I think, for some reason I haven't worked out yet. Is it likely to be the same in Canada?

I saw photos in internet of the Queen wearing it.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I definitely think so.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
Indeed, and TV presnters are probably wearing one a week in advance.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Why would they just willing shoot them selves in the foot like that?
Who sat down in the board meeting and went. You know what let’s make it so our employees can’t wear poppies because that’s what our customers want.

Wearing a poppy in it’s self is an anti war statement to anyone with half a brain.
That’s the whole idea so we never forgot the war. So we never forget the cost. So we never forget those who have lost it all so that we may be Canadians. In hopes that we never have to do it again.
We wear the poppy for all of these reasons and more.
The poppy IMO is just as powerful if not more so an anti war symbol then the peace symbol.

edit on 6-11-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Amen brother

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

I'm sure they'll change their stance, but I hope every Canadian Whole Foods members who wishes to wears a poppy on November 11th especially as an act of corporate disobedience.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

Perhaps it's due to the fact that "The British Legion" have 70 Million sat in a bank instead of helping people with it like they are meant to. That and the fact that the bosses are paid a small fortune.

Jim Davidson the British comedian/host/presenter talks about it here....

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
www.ctvnews.ca...

Overturned. 👍🏻

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters in Ottawa earlier Friday that he thinks Whole Foods “has made a silly mistake that I am hoping they will correct.”

The dress code restriction even spurred Ontario Premier Doug Ford -- who told CFRA radio in Ottawa that his family will be boycotting the grocery chain -- to announce he would seek legislation in the province to ban employers from prohibiting staff from wearing poppies during Remembrance Week.

“I find it absolutely disgusting and disgraceful,” the premier told reporters later on Friday. “Whoever at Whole Foods made this decision isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.”

“I never, ever want to see any company in Ontario ever do this again,” he added.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

👏👏👏👏👏

Someone is definitely hearing about this gaffe.

Not that they'll lose much in the long run, but they certainly lost face.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Oh, so Toby's not such a doormat after all. About time he was useful for once...aside from legalizing weed of course

a reply to: snowspirit

posted on Nov, 7 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I just read this in the news and I have a question. I know poppies are plants, but what are they talking about? Are they like pins or something related to that YouTube chick? I don't get it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join