It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. it’s ok to travel abroad if you want assisted suicide during lockdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Matt Hancock today confirmed people are allowed to travel abroad for assisted dying during the second coronavirus lockdown. MPs had expressed concerns the four-week England-wide shutdown ‘could deter’ people from making such a journey because of the Government’s stay-at-home message. But the Health Secretary said the rules state that people leaving their home need a ‘reasonable excuse’ to do so and ‘travelling abroad for the purpose of assisted dying is a reasonable excuse’. His comments came as MPs pressed for the Government to change domestic law on assisted dying. Assisted dying is currently outlawed in the UK but it is legal for people to travel abroad for that purpose as long as it is allowed in the country they go to.

You couldn’t make this madness up!! I mean what the actual chuffing hell? MPs express concern that the 4 week lockdown could deter people from going abroad to kill them selves because of the governments stay at home message. I mean really?
You can’t leave your house without a reasonable excuse, but offing yourself? Well yeah that’s fine... I really am living in clown world! As it’s illegal to commit suicide in this country I wonder what the actual punishment for doing so would be anyway? It’s a real mystery to me that one... do they punish your next of kin or something?

This tells me our politicians don’t actually give a # about about our health, especially our mental health which for many people will be in tatters with what’s happened this year. I suppose they want less useless eaters after they’ve crashed the economy and there’s no jobs available..

Well I’ve always wanted to see Switzerland, maybe now is my opportunity...

Oh yeah can’t post a link as when I left this page to copy it my post disappeared, you can do a search though there are plenty of results.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   
LoL, this is about the vaccine money, US Elections and Brexit negotiations .
That's why things seem bizarre in terms of decisions.
If someone kills themselves it's just going to bring more misery to people, which is exactly the mood that is required.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I haven’t heard of any statistics being released this year regarding suicides, I strongly suspect it’s being hushed up and is far greater than previous years. I do remember reading last year that suicide was the leading cause of death among men aged between 20 and 50. I find that quite shocking and very sad.

I think there is far more to it than US elections and Brexit, vaccine money sure, but the lockdown measures went down lockstep in many nations almost like it was synchronised. I could understand that back in March, but by May/June it was clear covid19 just wasn’t all deadly.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
See, who says Tories don’t have a heart?

Will this mean those seeking to end their lives abroad will have to travel alone? Will it be deemed a reasonable excuse to assist someone? Have the laws changed to allowing such things to happen without any investigation by the police? It was always my understanding that the police would investigate such actions.

Suicide figures will be extremely high this year I fear. I completed mental first aid training last year and the figures and statistics relating to male suicide, particularly in the construction industry, shocked me.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

You couldn’t make this madness up!! I mean what the actual chuffing hell? MPs express concern that the 4 week lockdown could deter people from going abroad to kill them selves because of the governments stay at home message. I mean really?

A better idea would be to legalise assisted dying here to save the the sick and infirm the trouble of traveling abroad to do it , regardless I support the move on humanitarian grounds.
edit on 6-11-2020 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
link

so they don Care if You die!
That is very telling.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Actually, the permission makes perfect sanse.
The reason for the ban on incautious foreign travel is the danger that the traveller may be infected abroad and bring more of the virus back with him. If he's not coming back, that objection disappears.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I would think that this ruling is intended for terminal sick patients that live in agony and really should have the right to decide over their fate, by themselves.. Not intended for non medical suicide...

It might not exclude it though.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Given the circumstances, i suspect that a larger than average number of murder/suicides may emerge.
Either through choice or because someones gone so far down that line of thinking that they end up....

Anyway, ive heard of one suicide, fairly locally.
I doubt we'll get an accurate picture of what's been going on for those who feel unable to cope with "the new normal".
eply to: Cobaltic1978

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Actually, the permission makes perfect sanse.
The reason for the ban on incautious foreign travel is the danger that the traveller may be infected abroad and bring more of the virus back with him. If he's not coming back, that objection disappears.

What about the traveller being asymtomatic and spreading the disease abroad? Did you think of that bright spark? Gortex at least sees common sense and has suggested it would be much cheaper and more convenient to kill ourselves in our own country!

Pfft.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If the other countries are worried about that possibility, they can ban entry. If not, Brtish law does not need to be worried on their behalf.

posted on Nov, 7 2020 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No doubt other countries would ban entry, making the announcement the pointless farce it is. Like so much of the other arbitrary nonsense they have come up with. It’s almost like they are asking for revolution.

posted on Nov, 7 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   

TLDR: If you go abroad to kill yourself, you don't have to quarantine when you get back.

What's confusing about this?

posted on Nov, 7 2020 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
a reply to: DISRAELI

No doubt other countries would ban entry, making the announcement the pointless farce it is. Like so much of the other arbitrary nonsense they have come up with. It’s almost like they are asking for revolution.

It's less about being allowed inout and more about quarantining when you get thereback.

Obviously people who have no intention of returning to the UK won't need to quarantine when they get back.

posted on Nov, 7 2020 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

A better idea would be to legalise assisted dying here to save the the sick and infirm the trouble of traveling abroad to do it , regardless I support the move on humanitarian grounds.

It's ok .......assisted dying is coming to 6-7 billion people very soon!!!

top topics

join