It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Electoral College is NOT worse than a Popular Vote.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I mean, my argument has always been if you want guns and hate abortions, move to texas, and if you disagree, leave texas.

The rest works itself out from there right? That's why we have a union, and not a dictatorship.

Is there not a situation where both worlds can exist?

I honestly hate rural areas, but I still love those people.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TwoBlades

I mean, my argument has always been if you want guns and hate abortions, move to texas, and if you disagree, leave texas.

The rest works itself out from there right? That's why we have a union, and not a dictatorship.

Is there not a situation where both worlds can exist?

I honestly hate rural areas, but I still love those people.

IF they kept guns & abortion in Texas.

I grew up a S CA beach kid. Been in SW AZ for about 30 years. I love the desert.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   

just because they puss out doesn't mean the midwest isn't littered with guns from the sentiment of the 2nd amendment.

my brothers friend uses a gun to hold open the hood of his car.

but you will notice in the east where people hate that #, it's far more criminalized and illegal.

it's just their problems hitting our governments, and our representatives being pussies. it's not actually going to change anything, and never will.

Edit: As someone that has lived in both the east and west, I can also confirm, seeing a gun in the east is a lot more scary, it actually is a much higher indicator that you're about to get shot. In the east I only saw guns 4 times ever, and twice they ended up being used. I would need a calculator to say how many guns I've seen in the west, and there was only ever 2 altercations, and the guns were not used. So when they make these 'fear' arguments, I actually do understand where they are coming from. You're in trouble the moment you see it...and in the west 'intimidation' is a large stage of conflict resolution that occurs before shots are fired. Like without getting too much into it, in the west, the people I knew that used guns were more concerned about their opinions being understood, but in the east it was much more about who they were killing.
edit on 5-11-2020 by TwoBlades because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TwoBlades

Because the EC has so few electors, it is more open to corruption.

For instance, someone could find out who the electors are and pay them a million apiece to invalidate their vote and in that way, gain the Presidency, 100% assured.

They wouldn't need to vote for the guy paying them. Even with those who would follow their conscience anyway, a crook could still get the Presidency - assured.

And so what if the 'faithless' electors get fined $1,000-00 - They are making a hundred times that amount.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

dude if a faithless elector ever once changed the outcome of an election, it would be the most famous election in all known history, this is how you know that will never happen. The problem isn't that it's corruption, it's that at that point it's just a straight out coup. the easy access to set up that coup is actually one of the most ingenious defenses to coup ever created. It's treason then
edit on 5-11-2020 by TwoBlades because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   

dude if a faithless elector ever once changed the outcome of an election, it would be the most famous election in all known history, this is how you know that will never happen. The problem isn't that it's corruption, it's that at that point it's just a straight out coup. the easy access to set up that coup is actually one of the most ingenious defenses to coup ever created. It's treason then

Check out the number of faithless electors in 2016, and the lost causes they voted for, and ask yourself why?

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Why what? None of them changed the outcome of an election.

Most of them were cocky political statements, or people actually died and ballot needed to be changed.

The electors themselves don't take it seriously that they 'have the power to change the vote', they don't have time to run away from mobs wanting to lynch them after lunch. In -every- situation that a faithless elector might have 'mattered' the elector is REPLACED before the end of the election, something they can do also btw.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Listening to YouTube on Electoral College.

They state — those who benefit most from the EC fight to keep it. Those are the Red States.

The EC basically benefits the southern states & Bible Belt.

Senator James Allen 1969: “The EC is one of the South’s few remaining political safeguards. Let’s keep it.”

15 states are fighting to abolish the EC.

I stand by my assessment that the EC is an anchor holding back progression.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
That because you believe mob rule is good. Because you believe your mob will win.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
That because you believe mob rule is good. Because you believe your mob will win.

Mob rule?

You a Red State?

I’d say the EC legitimizes Mob Rule by Red States.
edit on 5-11-2020 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

It's kind of fallacious to associate that with a quote from bible belters. That's not a place to start... when are they right about anything?

Should I start googling the Jefferson quotes or was their perspective not as fair...

The south wants to keep it, because they are 'spread out' white people in those states, that's generally the only thing holding back representation of other groups. The founders thought we were going to diversify the whole country is the flaw, and not act super segregated.

I mean, you could just make them one huge state, but saying that you want a popular vote just turns the USA into one big state then.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

It's kind of fallacious to associate that with a quote from bible belters. That's not a place to start... when are they right about anything?

Should I start googling the Jefferson quotes or was their perspective not as fair...

The south wants to keep it, because they are 'spread out' white people in those states, that's generally the only thing holding back representation of other groups. The founders thought we were going to diversify the whole country is the flaw, and not act super segregated.

I mean, you could just make them one huge state, but saying that you want a popular vote just turns the USA into one big state then.

It’s a culture. I’m from a culture.

The EC is an anchor keeping my culture from progressing.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

How?

link   
It simply stops large cities from having complete rule over the country.

link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The association of the marginal advantage for conservatives XD

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
It simply stops large cities from having complete rule over the country.

There’s nothing simple about it.

You don’t want us affecting you — I don’t want you affecting me.

Do I understand representation? YES. But, you’re an anchor.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

How?

Are you a Red State?

It matters in your perspective.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
BTW — I live in a rural area in SW AZ.

But, I grew up in the Los Angeles area.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

yes, but the fact in this event it is for the reasoning of protecting the voice of minorities...this is normally a democratic viewpoint...

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

No. I live in Nevada which is a purple state, typically.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join