It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In-n-Out Burgers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Now some here may not think much of the In-n-Out Burger chain, but I think they have a unique spot on the burger list, and if you've ever had a really fresh "Animal Style" Double-Double, I think you might agree.

So there are lot's of recipes (hack) recipes out there to make one of these, and they are different. So recently I've been trying to recreate one...exactly. It's not as easy as it might seem at first.

So one of the first things I learned is the 2nd side of the burger has to be cooked in yellow mustard. Okay, easy enough...well, maybe not. Then there's the onions. Man, caramelizing onions like that takes a while! They must have guys who do only that and nothing else, because it takes a while! And, they must do a whole bunch of them (because they do keep) at once, like piles and piles of them! And then there's the bun. And after that there's the "sauce". All unique.

So, my first experience was to try to do the whole thing at once. What I got was a cheeseburger with thousand island dressing some grilled onions and mustard. It was good, but it wasn't "the burger". Tried a second time and got a little closer (by spending more time with the onions...oh boy, do they take a LONG time!!!) Much better, but on a scale of 1-10, it was maybe a 5.5-6. Okay, so it was time to deconstruct and try each part separately.
!
There's all these little tricks, like how you fold the cheese, and how you grill the burgers, and the buns, etc. So I started with the burger.

First thing I learned is, most burgers are too thick. Okay, 1/8th lb, instead of 1/4 lb. Still too much. Meat quantity was good, but it wasn't thin enough. Okay, make more. Then there was the beef vs. fat mix. Turns out they use 70/30 beef. Okay, I can make that from our beef, so I did. I don't usually go below 80/20, but I needed more fat (i.e. juicier). Then I had to mess around with the salt content. You need SALT! Coarse ground Sea Salt works best. Mmmm, much better. Now pepper, yep, need that too. Okay, now we're improving.

Cheese has to go on at the perfect time. Have to fold what they call "The Smile" into it. Okay, got it. Getting closer. Now for the mustard. The trick with the mustard is you have to flip the burger right at the correct moment. Too early and you get burnt mustard. Too late and it's just mustard. Wow...there's a lot to this!

So I got the burger down. As most know, all the condiments on an In-n-Out burger go on the bottom. Oh, and let's not forget about the grilled onions!

The grilled onions are a process of their own. You start with regular sliced onions, grilled in some oil and softened. Then you add a bit of water and boil them down again and fry them for a bit....and then again...and then again....and again a 4th time until they become brown and like a paste. Now the onions are good.

As you're getting ready to flip the burgers and add the cheese you put the onions on, under the burger. And, when the burgers are ready (about 1 minute) you take the one patty and place it on top of the other. From there you scoop both patties up off the grill and put them on top of the sauce, lettuce, pickle and tomato (and mustard, of course).

Now, depending on your timing, and how many times you tried this, you "might" be pretty darn close. Just hope you have the right bun (which is a very soft bun), and you're ready to go.

I'll have to cover the sauce in another installment, but trust it is similar to a spicy thousand island sauce with some vinegar in it.

For anyone who has ever had a real (and fresh) In-n-Out burger, you will know this is one of the better burgers on the Planet (and I can't stand California, in any way, shape, or form...but that burger joint is the "Nines"!!!)

Enjoy!

edit on 11/4/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I kind of messed up a step in the instructions.

When you flip the burgers you put the mustard on (right before you flip them), then after you flip the burgers you put the cheese on. So the cheese goes on the done side of the patty after it's flipped. The burgers only flip once. Then, when done, you stack with the onions to finish.
edit on 11/4/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I love in n out burger.
We don't have them up here in Canada. In my area at least.

There's a local chain that I usually go to for great burgers here called the burger barn.
The other day I was quite disappointed with my choice.
I tried a new item on their burger list " the Mac-a-peno"
Double patted burger, garlic aoli, bacon, and 2 local cheeses, jalapeños, sautéed onions and all the rest of the good stuff, but then weirdest thing..,a deep fried Mac and cheese patty.

The Mac and cheese patty didn't do it for me.
I took two bites with it on the burger and wasn't feeling it.
I Pulled that thing off and the rest of the burger was great.

They also do a great chicken burger with a full chicken beast and a dill dressing.
It's amazing.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

A full chicken beast. No one can say Canadians can't cook.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yeah, it's silly how big that chicken burger is, but it's so damn good that you have to finish it.
And I honestly don't even like chicken lol.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Evenin' out there F.C.D....! Talkin' care of health now?

Thank you as always...for another great recipe!

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Went to In N Out burger when I was over in the states in San Francisco with a group of Puerto Ricans we met at a bar.

The burgers were ok, not mind blowing but I enjoyed the experience nonetheless. May have been increased by what you can legally do outside a burger joint in Cali

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   

This burger barn - burgerbarn.ca?

I've never been there but I heard the burgers are amazing. Expensive, but well worth the visit. I'll swing past one day when I'm in the area and get them a try.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   
You’re killing me smalls! I miss in-n-out

Extra lettuce, extra tomato. A personal pic. A boyhood favorite.

a reply to: TortoiseKweek

Not expensive. Not really. Pretty good pricing actually.

edit on 5-11-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Spelt is food

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
A friend and I do "In-n-Out Friday" - always the best day of the week!

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   

This one is a bit different.
www.prospector-burger-barn.com...

We have a local upper scale resteraunt in town called the Prospector.
They own a cattle ranch and get all their beef from there.

The Burger Barn here in Thunder Bay is partners with the Prospector and get all their beef from the local ranch.
Their prices are around average, but consider it more of a dinner than fast food.

For example here is the chicken burger I was talking about.

Spicy Mother Clucker Burger Combo
Lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, aged cheddar cheese, dill ranch sauce, hot peppers, and a fried chicken breast.
$12.75

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I hate you

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Dp :p
edit on 5-11-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I hope that’s pink lemonade that little bastard has there. I still have my paper hats and “secret sauce” that Im sure have gone off by now.

Lynsi Snyder Is selfish. Selfish!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Those burgers look awesome! Thanks for posting. If I'm ever up that side of the world, I'll definitely swing past that place.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Question for ya,
Do you prefer your burger onions, sautéed, grilled, or raw?

If there's bacon on the burger, I'll go with sautéed everytime.
But, if there's no bacon, I need raw reds on there... Like 3 maybe 4 full sized rings.
I like the onion crunch.

To be completely honest,
I used to leave the job of the crunch up to the pickle.
100% dependant on the pickle.
But some of these places out here don't take enough pride in their pickle.
The pickle is a damn near after thought for some of these 2-bit operations.
Or they will smear some relish on claiming here's your pickle.

I ain't effin around with no bread and butter or Kosher.
I ain't thinking twice about a cut in half gherkin.
I need a good, crispy, dill.

Hell, If I don't have faith in a burger spots pickle choice, 9 times out of 10 I'm leaving.
Or I'm asking for raw red onion.
sometimes I'll even go for that double hitter.

ETA, may I suggest some pink Himalayan as a substitute for coarse ground.
Just to change things up a bit.
edit on 5-11-2020 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Please do!
You won't leave disappointed...unless you order that Mac-a-peno burger I did.
Then you'll be pissed you drove all that way for such a monstrosity lol.

posted on Nov, 6 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I've heard it's good. It's even mentioned in one of my favorite movies.

posted on Nov, 8 2020 @ 04:41 AM
link   

It depends, I guess. I love sautéed onions, but they don't love me for some reason. Raw onions are fine, but sauteed onions make my guts explode sometimes. The animal style double double has sauteed onions on it, and I love that burger (more than life itself sometimes), but I'm not jumping in a car for a long road trip after eating one.

I'm not a big fan of red onions on a burger, they're just too strong. I like yellow onion. Red onions belong in a salad IMHO, can't eat a salad without them.

Pickles are "okay" on a burger, but they don't really do much for me. I can take them or leave them. I'd never send a burger back because it didn't have pickles on it. I actually like them on the side better, and I usually eat them last after I've finished my burger.

As for my exploits on replicating the In-n-out burger, I'm getting closer (very), but I'm still not quite there yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join