It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone out there who can help me pick a decent Audio Mixer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I recently bought a pair of JBL JRX 125 Speakers. I've wanted a nice set of speakers for vocals for a while, I think these will do.

I came across the Crown CE1000 PA, Which should do a decent job of powering these big boys, however I am not stuck to this model if someone has a better option for a similar price.

Now the pièce de résistance, I need a mixer!

Right now I simply need to hook up 2-3 vocal mics, I have no need for extra effects or even recording right now, as I have a pretty decent Audio Interface, the Scarlett 18i20 which will be used once my studio is a little more formed.

Obviously I am getting this Crown model used, I found a few for under $200 Shipped. I'm no stranger to used or older equipment, so long as its compatible with what I have... Phantom power would be a plus...

I came across the Behringer Q1202USB
though the lack of a power switch, and the complaints about ventilation/buzzing are a bit concerning.

I was curious as to if anyone had any experience out there that might be able to help me find a overlooked gem for under $200. I simply want something I can count on, and push my vocals through.

Many thanks in advanced!
edit on 2-11-2020 by AnnihilateThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I have a Behringer 502USB - basically a small version of the 1202 - fine at home, but nothing Behringer really makes is very "quiet" or built to last on the road (with the exception of their rack modules).

If you need USB I'd personally go with something from the Allen & heath Zed Series - sometimes they come up for sale open box / new at around the $200 price for the Zed 10

The Yamaha MG12 can be had for under $200 brand new from some ebay sellers open box - also worth a look.

Soundcraft Spirit's are pretty reasonable on the S/H market as well if you just want a straight up Mixer that sounds good.

Behringer have a really good warranty, but I think any of the above will last longer and sound better.

edit on 2-11-2020 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AnnihilateThis
I would go with the Allen & Heath Zed series or Soundcraft, they’re probably the best in that price range for budget mixers. Yamaha, Tascam and Presonus stuffs good too, Mackie can be hit or miss on some products but not to bad either.

I would strongly entertain the idea of getting one with effects in it, like the Soundcraft EFX 8 series w/Lexicon, this way you won’t have the added expense of having to by rack mount effects processors, unless you’re planning on running through your computer with software effects. You’ll want to have some sort of effects I would think?

For what it’s worth, I avoid anything Behringer like the plague, the quality and sound just isn’t there. They’re cheaply made and always seem to have issues.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Pay more buy the Yamaha.

I have a Mackie USB and it buzzes too.

There is a Behringer USB that doesn't buzz but quality is an issue.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Buy a power amp rack assembly.

Its loud and its what you want.

I used to use a mesa boogie turned up to 11.

I am a guitar player, don't be fooled by my name, GuitarsRfun.

Screw the USB, just go rock.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
What's the budget...hard to know what to point you at without that. I trust Yamaha to make quality gear, behringer is kind of bargin brand pro gear. Mackie and Soundcraft are also solid for their price point and used in the live event industry often.

Edit: sorry I missed the 200$ price point...my recommendation is the Soundcraft EPM8. Slightly more than 200$ but a solid brand and with 8ch. you won't run out of inputs for what it sounds like you want to do.
edit on 2-11-2020 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Not an expert in mixers, but I owned a sound reinforcement company for a while. Most of the guys we worked with had their own mixing equipment. I can tell you this much, you won't go wrong with the Crown amp(s). We used them exclusively, especially the now legendary DC-300a's (old now though). Versatile, legendary low end and built like tanks. Crown is the way to go. Many of the big boys are using stacks and stacks of Crowns. Best amp in the world, all things considered, if you ask me.

As for a mixer, I'd probably steer away from Behringer and go with something more reliable (and quieter) like Yamaha. Again though, I'm not an expert on mixers, but I equate Behringer with kids garage band kind of stuff more so than serious audio gear. We dabbled a bit in mixers, but most of that was for a different market (DJ type stuff).

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Find a "Music-go-round" resale store across the country.

I own Behringers as well..12 ch, FX on board...100...for vocals.

Even new? $125. Good luck

PS I have 4-2,000 watt spkrs-10,000 watt system on stage system for multi-keys, and guitar, Marshalls and Crowns
edit on 2-11-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Most of the Behringer stuff isn't crazy noisy via USB with good cables (they are actually pretty decent as recording interfaces) .. Analogue outputs, not so great. Heavy live use, faders and pots start to have issues pretty fast.

To be fair to Behringer though they do sell 10x+ as many mixers than the nearest competition, so its expected they'll have 10x the number of bad and mediocre reviews. They are obviously happy enough with the reliability that they offer a 3 year warranty nowadays which is impressive for a budget brand.
edit on 2-11-2020 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I avoid Behringer. They are the China of musical equipment manufacture. They rip off designs and throw things together shoddily, trying to compensate with low pricemarks.

I love Yamaha gear. I have a 12 channel Mackie that is solid. Presonus makes pretty decent gear but I haven't used any of their mixers.

There are tons of options out there for what you need, especially considering you only need several channels. Have you ever browsed at sweetwater.com? Perhaps considering buying a mixer with more channels or features than you need at the moment, so you can grow into it. Have fun!

EDIT It might be worth considering a graphic EQ for your rig. You can "tune" the response of your system to the response of your room, which (depending on the size) could be more or less important.
edit on 11/2/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Figured I'd drop this here for you as it looks to be in solid condition and with shipping is about 210$.
EPM8 Mixer

Good luck in your hunt!

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I switched to Mackie as the cheaper stuff was, uh, cheap.

You can get a twisty knob 12 ch. for a decent price. But a real “long throw” fader mixer is the best! 100mm is enough to feel like a pro but you can get a Mackie twisty knob, w/fix, and downloadable recording software for about 350. Which is a pretty good price for that model. Add 50 bucks and you get the throw faders! Another 25 gets you a nylon gig bag.

Heck, if you lived here in Anchorage I’d consider donating to you!! Still thinking about doing that for my buddy! A mixer for some Buffalo Trace!!

The lower end prices are open and seem kind of a crap shoot. Most have USB 2.0 (or higher), most have FX (enough to get by), and some have recording software. All less than 400/500$.

You can go cheap and not get a computer interface but why not spend a few now instead of wishing you could hook up to your computer?? (At that point, DAW and rack full of equipment!! LOL!! Been there...)

Good luck! Try a few out without headphones and with; there is a difference if you pay attention!!

posted on Nov, 3 2020 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The lower end prices are open and seem kind of a crap shoot. Most have USB 2.0 (or higher), most have FX (enough to get by), and some have recording software. All less than 400/500$. You can go cheap and not get a computer interface but why not spend a few now instead of wishing you could hook up to your computer?? (At that point, DAW and rack full of equipment!! LOL!! Been there

He has an interface, he can run the mixer into it.

edit on 3-11-2020 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2020 @ 02:35 AM
link   
For a second I thought was on gearslutz

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
There are certainly a few here I am looking into, and I think my future lies within this page.

Thank you everybody for the great responses and ideas.

I'll be sure to update this with my decision, but I'm looking at the Yamaha MG12.

top topics

join