It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery UAV spotted near Mojave Airport

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   
www.forbes.com... mystery may be solved

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

Nothing is solved until the AF says what it is. That's just the same speculation.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Pretty cool

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Sundowner Studios. Reddit claims the guy was persuaded by the Air Force to delete the photo from instagram.

I dont find your take very convincing. Did you catch Peter Merlins comment?

The existence of the 'RQ-180' is not a secret, the program has been grey from pretty much the beginning. There is little reason to think they would want to keep the platform in the dark forever when they have been vocal about pairing it with the B-21.
It was bound to happen at some point and this is a good a time as any.

About the color, the last American UAV with a distinct dark belly was the RQ-3. Everything since then was either white or grey. Including the RQ-170.
You could say the UAV from the photo looks a bit too white compared to the more common grey. This could have valid technical reason though or may just be a photographical effect due to lighting.
Not that it matters, the 'RQ-180' is a very high flying bird, you wont spot it from the ground anyway.

Thats said, you might very well be right, it could be an inhouse project. It could be a Lm 'P-180' for P-ISR and/or LRSB. It could also be the Northrop demo or a predecessor. In any case it would be closeley tied to the 'RQ-180'.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

The lighter UAVs, including the RQ-170 fly at lower altitudes where the grey works better. I'm sure the Air Force painted all their other high altitude ISR platforms dark, and then just said screw it, we don't need to paint this one dark, just go with standard grey.

Of course it's not going to stay in the shadows forever, and I don't expect it to, but black and grey programs don't fly in daylight hours, leaving a contrail, and making multiple passes over even a small city without a hell of a good reason.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The lighter UAVs, including the RQ-170 fly at lower altitudes where the grey works better. I'm sure the Air Force painted all their other high altitude ISR platforms dark, and then just said screw it, we don't need to paint this one dark, just go with standard grey.

1) The RQ-180 flies at altitudes it can't be observed from the ground anyway. Other considerations might take precedence, like thermal cooling for example.
2) The U-2 and SR-71 were build ages ago. Their views might have evolved a bit. Note the SR-72 and Valkyrie II concept art had white airplanes too.
3) XB-70, Snowbird ... ...
4) Maybe they just used the most recent radar absorbing paint that is highly effective but just comes in standard grey. Good enough for a time constrained off the shelf grey project with high operational demand.
5) I really, really don't think the nickname 'Shikaka, the great white bat' materialized out of thin air

Of course it's not going to stay in the shadows forever, and I don't expect it to, but black and grey programs don't fly in daylight hours, leaving a contrail, and making multiple passes over even a small city without a hell of a good reason.

they just exhausted their budget for nighttime operations

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight

Thank you MightMight. You said everything I wanted to say before I got the chance to put it in a reply.
This is about as RQ-180 of an airframe as I’ve ever seen. The shikaka moniker fits. Welcome to the jungle Shikaka. Can’t wait to see more of her.

1) The RQ-180 flies at altitudes it can't be observed from the ground anyway. Other considerations might take precedence, like thermal cooling for example.
2) The U-2 and SR-71 were build ages ago. Their views might have evolved a bit. Note the SR-72 and Valkyrie II concept art had white airplanes too.
4) Maybe they just used the most recent radar absorbing paint that is highly effective but just comes in standard grey. Good enough for a time constrained off the shelf grey project with high operational demand.
5) I really, really don't think the nickname 'Shikaka, the great white bat' materialized out of thin air

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thank you MightMight. You said everything I wanted to say before I got the chance to put it in a reply.
This is about as RQ-180 of an airframe as I’ve ever seen. The shikaka moniker fits. Welcome to the jungle Shikaka. Can’t wait to see more of her.

originally posted by: MAVERICKANDGOOSE

originally posted by: mightmight

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Per the photographer, he removed the photo in order to make sure he wasn't violating anything relative to his clearance.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Yeah, and let's just ignore the fact that EVERYTHING points to it being a cranked kite, not the Polecat. But this looks identical to the Polecat. But because you and others want this to be the -180, it's the -180 suddenly. Ok, got it. It's the -180.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Surprised Tyler Rogoway hasn't produced anything yet lol.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Yeah, and let's just ignore the fact that EVERYTHING points to it being a cranked kite, not the Polecat. But this looks identical to the Polecat. But because you and others want this to be the -180, it's the -180 suddenly. Ok, got it. It's the -180.

You got it backwards, i would prefer it not to be the 'RQ-180', simply because it would give us yet another vehicle to speculate about.
As said, i think it's entirely possible this is an inhouse project of either LM or NG. But very likely very closely related to the P-ISR effort that resulted in what is commonly known as the RQ-180.

Why does everything point to a cranked kite in your opinion? Please explain.
I see very little evidence of that. What do you think the LM contender looked like? It's obvious IMO; LM P-170, P-175 and P-180 use the same basic planform.

And NG? They are big on kites, right?

I'd be very surprised if the basic planform of the Raider and the 'RQ-180' is not very similar. B-3 NGB cranked kite didn't fly. Figuratively.

edit on 2-11-2020 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masisoar

you and me both

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masisoar

www.thedrive.com...
From The War Zone

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

Someone posted the link. removing...

Weighing in. IMSHO, this is a Polecat. It may be LM banged out another one for the Reaper replacement. or it may be one was built for other reasons.

OTOH, this may be an old photo from somewhere, too: is there anything in the metadata to suggest this is a new photograph or not manipulated? I know we have some PS expert around here...
edit on 2-11-2020 by anzha because: REMOVED a link.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

There were at least two airframes built initially. One sat outside wrapped, but is now gone. Sam did his photo analysis magic that shows pretty conclusively this is Polecat. Everything down to the exhaust locations matches up perfectly.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

real question here what was Amarillo about? what that just a show and tell?

i will have to dig around to see if any 'out of towners' were state side than

the angle this is taken from with out it having anything in the background makes it suspect in my book, the person taking the pic would have to be in the air in another aircraft.

stranger things have happened and just because someone owns a studio doesnt mean they cant get a lucky shot off.

if what the OP pic is showing is the bottom of the mystery aircraft than it has a very large bump, even the B2 doesnt have such a pronounced belly and if it is the 180 or something being played around with by a contractor means it is most likely sub scale and as we know the 180 isn't as big as the B2A

if the AF didn't want it on the net it wouldn't be on the net, unless they emailed relevant parties and got no response

but that is assuming this is a real pic, hence my comment vaporware coming to life

eta: isinglass and Convair, is there a link?
edit on 2-11-2020 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

It's the Polecat. Every single detail on the static bird that Lockheed showed off matches perfectly to the picture, down to the exhaust lining up with the contrail. The wingspan matches, the large center fuselage matches, and the engine exhaust lines up perfectly with the contrail.

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
double post

sorry
edit on 2-11-2020 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I will defer to the photo analysis saying its a pole cat.

I guess I never looked at the bottom of one very closely, the picture is framed strangely and not having a reference point makes it even harder.

would it have shown up on some flight tracking site? if we know the date and approx. time? it must squawk something unless it was in military airspace its not a classified aircraft so why hide the flight data on tracking sites? honestly I don't know the answer to that.

and do you have any conjectures on the Amarillo photos? and the other pic taken around the same time?

they were basically sky writing with the S turns they were making, who was that for? someone here or for someone else that was in the US heck maybe even so sats could get a good look

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join