It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Supports The Right To Die, But Rejects The Right To Get High

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   

The preliminary results from the referendums on two major social questions reflect a potential significant shift in social attitudes in New Zealand.

With most votes counted, New Zealanders emphatically endorsed voluntary euthanasia. Sixty-five percent said "yes" to the proposition on the right to die, putting the country on track to become one of the few that permits assisted suicide.

The proposal to legalize recreational marijuana was much closer. New Zealanders narrowly rejected it by a margin of 53% to 46%.

New Zealand Supports The Right To Die, But Rejects The Right To Get High

What does it say about a society that approves of suicide but criminalizes a drug that can ease pain? At least their Prime Minister voted yes on both bills even if the majority of their society doesn't see the hypocrisy of their own vote.

i say this fully aware just how hypocritical the US is on many issues.

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It must be alot of older voters as i see very few younger folks that think marijuana should be illegal.

Im of the idea that one who wants assisted suicide (who does not have a terminal condition) should be required to go through at least a month of therapy. This therapy would introduce meditation, exercise and therapeutic drug sessions using mushrooms or ayahuasca.

If one still wants to commit suicide after therapy then they can with assistance to make it a beautiful death.

It's interesting how we our chalk full with booze, pills, and war as a society. Yet, giving people meaningful drug experiences and a lovely death is completely taboo.

edit on 31-10-2020 by BlueAuras because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Jacinda Arden was also handed a landslide victory recently.
And with these propositional results it appears more glaring
and embarrassing proof that NZers are for the most part
literate lemmings. Sorry for the bluntness, but not my war.
I'm in a much larger population of the buggers right now.

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Rules are for fools. If you wish to die or get high, then don’t let anyone stop you. It’s a personal choice, one that has nothing to do with the country you live in. NZ or the UK or the USA, it doesn’t matter. When it comes down to it, everyone’s got their own playbook....

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

The only reason for this must be that only a a small percentage of the population actually participated in the referendum, the vast majority of people in this day and age don’t think MJ should be illegal. Only the dealers and TPTB want it this way.

As for Euthanasia the issue is more nuanced, and should be treated as such. For example somebody suffering from a terminal illness that expressly wishes for their right to die to end their own and their families suffering should be allowed to do so.
While an otherwise relatively healthy person that feels suicidal should seek whatever treatment and therapy is available, including alternative therapies such as psilocybin with an experienced practitioner. The MAPS institute has proven success with this technique.

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

What does it say about a society that approves of suicide but criminalizes a drug that can ease pain?

But it's a drug that also negatively affects mental health. Maybe that was part of the consideration?

At least their Prime Minister voted yes on both bills even if the majority of their society doesn't see the hypocrisy of their own vote.

You mean they didn't agree with your own personal stance on the subject?

i say this fully aware just how hypocritical the US is on many issues.

The US is the most brainwashed nation on earth. Think about that for a second!

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I think the right to escape interminable pain at the end of life outweighs the right to get high although I do support decriminalization of recreational drugs , giving people the choice to choose the timing of their end when a terminal diagnosis is given is the only humane thing to do in a civilized society.

Full respect to the people of New Zealand for their right minded decision.

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

The people that voted NO don't yet realize that they have actually voted to be poorer, simply because they have rejected an easy tax take that wouldn't have concerned them. The Government will be Tax hungry as the world economy tanks. Stupid is as stupid does. Having said that the special votes might change things, and they have done a deal with the Greens which they might need later on, as it's the Greens bill, if it stays illegal in NZ it will be rarely enforced.

new topics

top topics

join