It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police shooting crazy folk, why this became a thing.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Yeah, there was a lot of messed up stuff happening in those places. I am pretty sure that is why he wanted to shut it down, not the money aspect. It would have been a lot better to reform and get rid of the crazy crap they were doing in those places. That would require a total re-haul from ground up though I think.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You won't change it in a government driven system though.

Look at the public schools. They're a train wreck even though they are supposed to be devoid of profit motive. You also get all kinds of abuse and other stuff going on - grift of money in districts. Just because the government funds it doesn't change the realities of budget driven.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have relatives that work in the psychiatric care industry. There are still units within hospitals/health care centers that treat people with such illnesses. BUT...

The amount of money, personnel, facilities, resources etc devoted to these legitimate health problems has NOSE DIVED in comparison to decades past. Some states (e.g. NY) have better capability/capacity to treat mental health disorders, whereas other states (e.g. Connecticut) have almost 100% eliminated psych facilities.

On top of that, in some states (again NY), the major urban centers (Manhattan & other boroughs) closed down *their* psychiatric facilities, and now they just ship cases out into rural parts of the state, which still have pysch wards in their hospitals. This is the political equivalent of "sweeping the mud under the rug", the cities pacify the far left that whine and complain about poor patient treatment in mental health facilities (loons can't b!tch about institutionalization if there are no institutions). Also, the cities eliminate the risk/cost of keeping such places running in their domain, AND they then get to ship the problematic people off "to the sticks" WIN WIN WIN for the urban areas.

That being said, there are still many many people that slip through the cracks, and this is generally those less well off or living in poverty. Spend some time in and around Grand Central Terminal next time you visit NYC, and you'll see this lot wandering aimlessly around the facility. Quite sad and disturbing. The surrounding office buildings started putting "decorative" metal spikes/barriers on their ground floor terraces/steps to dissuade many of the disturbed homeless folk from loitering around their property.

There always has been and always will be major challenges operating care centers for dealing with such afflicted people. Until you've had someone in your family or someone you know fall victim to schizophrenia/paranoia/delusional disorders, you have NO idea how difficult it is to keep such people stable, and a not becoming a danger to themselves or people around them. But that is what's even the more outraging detail of this: places that used to specialize in caring for and (I'm just going to say it) simply humanely confining/holding literally insane people, were targeted by the far left (SJW campaign) and the far right (budgetary overhead, "let charities handle it").

The result of this is, if you have the cash, you CAN and WILL be sent somewhere to treat your mental health problems; odds are it will be far from where you live and certainly not in urban centers (at least in the Northeast). If you don't have the cash, you or your loved one will bounce around in jails/hospitals/the street, because really neither of these 3 places is equipped to deal with such people, and it's expedient to ricochet sick people around rather than help them, long-term.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

The other issue with treating people who have these disorders is that between the brain chemistry and the psyche, each of these people is going to be unique, and individual treatment puzzle. There won't be any one-size-fits-all regimes. Each one will require lots of work to arrive at any kind of regime that will treat them and bring them back to a semblance of normalcy, and it's going to be whole person project incorporating more than just drugs.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I don't have much to contribute but personal experiences I've went through.

But one thought I had was more voluntary then a daily grind for some employees, or have patients who've successfully made it through or empathic mental illness sufferers who want to help others.

What's seriously missing, least when I was in the ward, was the human connection. I was in the child ward at the time and just by treating the other kids as humans and being kind to them, they had a huge turn around for just the 2 weeks I was in there.

Obviously not a complete solution or helps all, but I feel like it'd be a step.

Another issue is the stigma on mental illness. Most people hear it and think their crazy, have no control. Not true, they're struggling, there is no line between mental illness and having none. It comes in all shapes and shades.

Edit: During high school, I went to a secondary school. When I introduced myself to the home room and told them I was having mental issues, literally everyone avoided me like the plague, when I was walking through the hallway with a girl from my class coming by, she held herself and cried, begging me not to kill her.

Like, da fuq

edit on 10/28/2020 by Nivhk because: High school, amirite

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Too many sad stories:

If you have a loved one having a serious mental health episode to the point you need to call the police for help (last resort) ALWAYS ask for a CIT trained officer.

nami.org...(CIT)-Programs

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
When litigation was prevented by the rotten Cabal.......proper litigation prevents these things.Immediatly.

posted on Oct, 29 2020 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Sounds like an isolated incident. I work with these types of people and the police in my town deal with them accordingly. They literally can't brake the law around here. The police know how to de-escalate them.

posted on Oct, 29 2020 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: network dude

Unfortunately health care, mental or physical care, is a business. I huge business.

Doctors used to become doctors because they had a genuine desire to provide medical care to their patients, even when they knew that it paid little in the way of dollars and cents. They were lucky to get piano lessons for the kids or a chicken or some eggs.

Most doctors of today enter into the business of medical care. They expect to be well reimbursed for their services. So when you look at all the people who want a piece of the pie, there is only one way to make that work. Without money, you are knee deep in bills, drowning, suffering, or dying.

Your only telling half the story. The reason they expect to get paid is that they finish law school owing 100s of thousands. My wife for example owed 280000.00 when she finished law school. This is higher than our home mortgage at 240000. So the reason they need money is that they are so deep in debt

My wife wanted to open a private practice and all she talked about took 15 years before she could manage to pull it off do to bills. And yes she has patients that can't afford to pay. Truth is every doctor does you just write it off and move on not worth going to court for. However, I bet you would be upset if you did work at your job and were not paid. Also, keep in mind how much pressure doctors have to keep the lights on and pay their employees. At a minimum, a doctor's office has at least 3 employees that depend on the doctor to pay their bills.

This isnt the old west where they gave the doctor a place bove the saloon those days are long gone.

posted on Oct, 29 2020 @ 03:33 AM
link   
You should have officers specially trained to deal with mentally ill people. Who can communicate with people who may be having a mental break. Instead of sending cops who arrive at a situation pull their guns out, get scared in a situation that could of been
de-escalated with trained officers.

posted on Oct, 29 2020 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 11SK1180

Honestly it's just having officers with common sense. Most people are already mental, so it shouldn't come as a surprise when and if they deal with others with disorders.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join