It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slippery Slope Portland Landlords must pay relocation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

a new ruling states landlords must now pay their tenants' relocation costs if those tenants can't afford the rent increases they're imposing.

What in the Sam Hill?
If your tenants can't afford your place, you have to pay to move them?
This is NUTZ.

I do believe tenants should be given notice of rent increases and such, but this is just cra cra.
I think this goes along with a previous post, I think the end goal is to get rid of all small landlords and move to megacorps.

edit on 27-10-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.yahoo.com...

a new ruling states landlords must now pay their tenants' relocation costs if those tenants can't afford the rent increases they're imposing.

What in the Sam Hill?
If your tenants can't afford your place, you have to pay to move them?
This is NUTZ.

I do believe tenants should be given notice of rent increases and such, but this is just cra cra.
I think this goes along with a previous post, I think the end goal is to get rid of all small landlords and move to megacorps.

The irony is that the cost of living is high in many of these liberal utopias like San Fran, NYC, Portland, etc because of all these asinine housing rules.

Lopsided rules that favor the tenant are also what make landlords be choosy about who to rent a property to as well.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Isn’t it kind a moot point? Rents aren’t increasing in Portland. Who the hell is moving there?

Just had this convo with my mom last week. She lives there.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think the end goal is to get rid of private property rights.

How to Get Rid of Your Landlord and Socialize American Housing, in 3 Easy Steps

The true culprit is so deeply embedded in American notions of wealth, rights, and property that we cannot see it for the terrible economy policy it is: private housing. Real estate as a store of private wealth is the rotten tree that sprouts these diseased branches, and the solution is to quit pruning twigs and chop the sucker down.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

As a landlord, this would only worry me if they extended it past the March 31st, 2021 date. If they did, I'd immediately switch to super short term leases because it only applies if you give notice to raise the rent. If they don't renew because they can't afford rent, or if they just can't afford to pay, the landlord is off the hook.

That would suck for landlords because longer leases=stability a lot of the time, but if you wanted to keep your rentals going, you'd have to get kind of ruthless about leases and evictions.

In the long term, this will probably hurt renters more than landlords. A dumb move on Portland's part.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Yep and as usual after every credit squeeze the banks foreclose and look after their buddies. Enforced communism. If I remember right Portland has the most disincentives for small business

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The problem is a lot of these leftist simply don't understand how markets work. They are trying to solve the gentrification problem.

Yes, it sucks if you were a resident in a neighborhood and now all of a sudden, you can't afford to stay there because rental prices have increased with the popularity of the neighborhood. However, that is just life. No one has a "right" to live anywhere. If you can no longer afford to live in the community, GTFO. It really is that simple. That is how most of us in the real world operate.

There are plenty of places I'd love to live but can't because I can't afford it. It is what it is... I just live where I can afford.

Preventing a landlord from charging market rents directly or indirectly just increases the cost of living because it artificially reduces supply of available units.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
More brain dead leftist policies.
All this will do is drive the cost of rent up.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
More brain dead leftist policies.
All this will do is drive the cost of rent up.

The irony is their policies create the issue of high cost of living and they create another set of policies to address the high cost of living that further continues to increase the cost of living. At no point in their minds do they stop and realize that the very issue they are trying to solve is created because of their policies...

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The irony is their policies create the issue of high cost of living and they create another set of policies to address the high cost of living that further continues to increase the cost of living. At no point in their minds do they stop and realize that the very issue they are trying to solve is created because of their policies...

It is insanity and will only end badly for renters.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
renters not being able to pay rent rates isn't about the high price of rent. Rent ties to costs of repair, property taxes, etc. As someone who owns rental property, i can tell you my rents are high because the cost of getting an AC guy out to do repairs is high. My margins are not that great (im considering divesting).

The problem is wages. The thing is, if you have all manufacturing done in China, what you are doing is removing decent paying jobs, and replacing it with lower cost goods. This allows employers to maintain low wages, as there is no real competition for employees, and employees can still buy the crap they wanted to buy to begin with. Where the rub comes is in housing...one of the only places that you can easily see how poorly wages have kept up with inflation.

The rich are getting richer, the middle class is almost gone, and the poor just stay poor. Even a college degree doesn't do much for most (unless they get STEM degrees). Because the competition for good labor is just more low wage jobs, employers have the luxury of stagnating wages without repercussions. And the public mostly just eats it because they can still buy cheap baubles.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Even a college degree doesn't do much for most (unless they get STEM degrees)

You're right about the STEM degrees. When I went back to college (2003-2007) I had an English instructor who was working on a Master's Degree in Romance languages. He told me the first day of class not to come back to class and he'd give me a C. He didn't like the military and we had just gone back into Iraq. I showed up every class and got the A I deserved. We both graduated at the same time. A few months later I was going to a new job and I stopped at a drive through coffee shop and guess who was in the window?

I've been to the People's Republic of Portland before. A company I used to work for had an office there. A lot of people in a fantasy world there and not too many with good jobs.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Even many STEM jobs are being outmoded. I do accounting. Its a job that one person with a solid database could pretty easily do. I've consolidated the work for 3 other people under me without putting any more effort in through automation of processes.

The people I work for don't really know the degree to my automation. Which allows me to prove value in other areas without much strain.

lets face it: labor is becoming obsolete. A new economic system will have to be created at some point. Its going to be very painful as a process to go through.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
the problem is greedy landlords Lol
really the air guy cost to much .

2500 a month for a crappy one bed room in some citys
Incase you landlords haven't noticed your places are emptying out so who will pay Your mortgage then ?
Honstly I would want EVERY ONE to own the place they live in Landlords are JUST leaches .

I owned my home my morage was 638 a MONTH ! 3 bed two bath 2500 square feet INSIDE .

My one son Both his home as well His morage is 712 a Month 3 bed two bath as well .

Funny that SAME HOUSE renst for 1200 a MONTH in that area WHO you kidding you just want someone else to pay your morages /

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
the problem is greedy landlords Lol
really the air guy cost to much .

2500 a month for a crappy one bed room in some citys
Incase you landlords haven't noticed your places are emptying out so who will pay Your mortgage then ?
Honstly I would want EVERY ONE to own the place they live in Landlords are JUST leaches .

I owned my home my morage was 638 a MONTH ! 3 bed two bath 2500 square feet INSIDE .

My one son Both his home as well His morage is 712 a Month 3 bed two bath as well .

Funny that SAME HOUSE renst for 1200 a MONTH in that area WHO you kidding you just want someone else to pay your morages /

Blame property taxes. That is the biggest cost for most land lords.

Until you build out a ledger to evaluate the actual costs of owning rental property (insurance, property taxes, capex), its just bleating from ignorance.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I design industrial machinery. There's no way to automate my job. The time I spent in manufacturing and working the shop floor is paying dividends right now. I told a friend of my Nephew to become a certified welder a few years ago. He did and pretty much writes his own paycheck.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Landlords never wonder why the tentas don't give a crap about keeping the places up YOU ALSO STEAL the deposits .
I have only ran across one or two people who ever got a deposit back No matter how clean they leave the place .

Heck If i did rent From any Of you i would have a 5 year leas Minim KNOWING how much You scam rent increases OO not 5 Bucks 50 a 100 200 Nothing but leaches .

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
Landlords never wonder why the tentas don't give a crap about keeping the places up YOU ALSO STEAL the deposits .
I have only ran across one or two people who ever got a deposit back No matter how clean they leave the place .

Heck If i did rent From any Of you i would have a 5 year leas Minim KNOWING how much You scam rent increases OO not 5 Bucks 50 a 100 200 Nothing but leaches .

I have only retained 1 deposit. I also sued them. They destroyed the house. Ran knives down the facial boards and trim, gouging out large chunks. Ripped out ceiling fans and left them broken. Stole the coil out of the AC unit.

Like i said, build a ledger of costs. You obviously only have an ax to grind, and instead of grinding down the ignorance are choosing to lash out.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Who would raise a rent by $5.00? 😂
What would that ever cover in terms of rising costs?

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

That's odd. I've always gotten my deposits back, and they always give me a letter of reference.

I have paid for damages I caused. Be honest with landlords and they treat you well. My relationship is so good with my current landlord, he gave me two months free just to say thank you, and until this Covid mess is over and my income goes back up, I'm only paying what it costs him for his mortgage payment and insurance. What goes around, comes around.

The reason people don't maintain rentals, is because that's the kind of people they are. Those that do are treated well.

When I thought I might have to move to something cheaper due to the Covid mess, I called an old landlord from over 15 years ago, he remembered me and told me to call his manager and tell her I'm preapproved by the owner and to give me their best rate on whatever I wanted. Treat them well, they bend over backwards for you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join