It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Dead Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Just started playing this last night and my am I impressed - I happily went to bed knowing my daughter would be up in 6 hours but cool with it cause I couldn't put the controller down.

I've never spent money on additional items for a video game until now when I paid $15 for 25 gold bricks so I can get a better rifle although I've borrowed my brothers copy of the game so haven't forked out the $100+ for the game itself.

I don't care if anyone hates me for it but my sole objective and joy in this game (at the time of writing) is to be a straight up villain (or griefer, troll whate have you) attacking honest folk going about their business. it gives me an incredible amount of amusement and satisfaction although, with my entry level weapons and attributes I have taken few scalps as of yet.

My plan is to load up my attributes and weapons so I can continue my villainous ways and be the badboy of Blackwater.

What's your best suggestions on making money quick? Do you hate players like me or do you also get childish levels of enjoyment from it?

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM
Just started playing this last night and my am I impressed - I happily went to bed knowing my daughter would be up in 6 hours but cool with it cause I couldn't put the controller down.

I've never spent money on additional items for a video game until now when I paid $15 for 25 gold bricks so I can get a better rifle although I've borrowed my brothers copy of the game so haven't forked out the $100+ for the game itself.

I don't care if anyone hates me for it but my sole objective and joy in this game (at the time of writing) is to be a straight up villain (or griefer, troll whate have you) attacking honest folk going about their business. it gives me an incredible amount of amusement and satisfaction although, with my entry level weapons and attributes I have taken few scalps as of yet.

My plan is to load up my attributes and weapons so I can continue my villainous ways and be the badboy of Blackwater.

What's your best suggestions on making money quick? Do you hate players like me or do you also get childish levels of enjoyment from it?

To each his or her own...used to love games like this and even though I haven't played them in a while this is one that I've thought of getting and trying out. Pretty sure being a bandit is the easiest and the most enjoyable way to get monies. Especially after watching some of the vids online.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   

To each his or her own...used to love games like this and even though I haven't played them in a while this is one that I've thought of getting and trying out. Pretty sure being a bandit is the easiest and the most enjoyable way to get monies. Especially after watching some of the vids online.

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I couldn't stand the online version, I'm on my 2nd time thru with the storyline tho.

I still have nightmares of PKs killing me in diablo on battlenet, I prefer a great story and some tense gunfights mixed in with the hunting and fishing

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Give it a go you won't regret it!

Was just speaking to a mate who is also obsessed with it (although he does not have an internet connection to join me online) who advised me I can lasso other players, throw them on my horse, take them down to the swamp and throw them to the gators!!! I'm literally sitting here chuckling maniacally to myself at what is to be done this evening!

Thanks for the advice, been scouring a few different sources for info, have some ideas and thought I would ask the good folk here

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

I don't care if anyone hates me for it but my sole objective and joy in this game (at the time of writing) is to be a straight up villain (or griefer, troll whate have you) attacking honest folk going about their business. it gives me an incredible amount of amusement and satisfaction

Red Dead's trolling's alright. You wanna be a real troll and ruin someone's day though, you gotta play Dark Souls or Bloodborne and do some invasions.

The entire multiplayer component of those games essentially revolves around trolling players while they're trying to play the game.

I guess there's some coop stuff there too...but I dunno, there's something pretty satisfying about chasing some poor bastard through a winding pathway of death that literally drains their health, while random demon giant things hurl boulders at them while they run in vain from your relentless pursuit only to arrive at what they believe is the safe haven of some kind of castle, they rush on in thinking they've escaped, only to have an army of giant spiders fall on their heads and begin devouring them. Good times.
edit on 26/10/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

To be clear, it's not just the trolling the game in itself is pretty damn impressive and I enjoy all of the other aspects.....it's just, the child? idiot? bored? in me gets a huge kick out of messing with someone just trying to go to the post office and after reading some comments on a Red Dead forum from people damned near in tears over getting griefed I am now more determined than ever and will find it even funnier

Never even heard of those games to be honest though thanks for the recommendation!

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Howdy, been playing since launch. Not a fan of griefers but to each their own. Will say the game is a lot more fun when you try to make friends. Most people in the game are griefers so you will get plenty of fights no matter how you play. I get attacked by randoms every time I play, so I’m always ready to fight and keep my sidearms loaded with explosive ammo, it usually doesn’t go well for them. I do love fighting other players though when they attack first. Fist fights are my favorite. Some of my best online friends are other friendly players I’ve met by joining random posses and helping out with missions and other stuff.

As for making money and ranking up... the collector role is the fastest way to do both, but it is mostly a solo venture. Just look up the jeanropke collectors map and you will rank up and make money very fast.

I personally enjoy hunting the most, especially with the varmit rifle. You can fill your satchel with hundreds of small game pelts and carcasses that you can either sell or donate to camps.

Nice seeing this game mentioned on ATS. Good luck out there

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

a reply to: putnam6

Give it a go you won't regret it!

Was just speaking to a mate who is also obsessed with it (although he does not have an internet connection to join me online) who advised me I can lasso other players, throw them on my horse, take them down to the swamp and throw them to the gators!!! I'm literally sitting here chuckling maniacally to myself at what is to be done this evening!

Thanks for the advice, been scouring a few different sources for info, have some ideas and thought I would ask the good folk here

Yea Im gonna have to bite the bullet and get it when I can.

LOL it's funny my nephews have told me to watch the videos on youtube to see all the things you can do.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro
Ha, I used to love surprise PK's in diablo 2 while the poor victims were questing or farming for loot. Easy quick cash for the gambling wagon. Get me some nice high level mods to craft better equipment to kill you with my dear. Dropping crap broken items all around the body was another good way to force them to accidentally drop their good gear too. In a vein attempt to get their body they auto equip slot of the crap and fill the inventory with more of that junk. I would carry the cube with me just to drop more junk around the body.

A patch mostly fixed that exploit though and diablo 3 made it more difficult to go hostile at opportune times. I probably will not even reconnect my home to the internet until diablo 4 is released in a couple of years. Because I will move hell and earth to get in on that franchise.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   

When red dead online launched there was literally nothing to do EXCEPT just have giant wars it was bedlam.

There is a lot more content now. I recommend the bounty Hunter and collecter "roles" for money and gold. It's a grind but not too bad. You'll get good cash plus experience for collectables and cash plus gold for bounties. Haven't tried the other roles.

As for people trolling I don't see many other real people online so if some guy rides by and starts some guff im usually excited about it lol. Or if I'm in town and someone rides by occasionally we will just start to massacre the whole town...you know that old chestnut. I don't know your load out but dual pistols, bolt action rifle and a double barrel shotty is a kit for any situation. I hope they add some more guns.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Another good kill tactic is lasso and hog tie someone, drag them to the train tracks and hold them at gun point till the train comes.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Collector and Trader role make the most money at the moment.

Save your gold for the roles,you can only buy them with gold

I will be home in a bit will post more tips n tricks

Continued :

Now im pretty addicted to this game , im on a 83 days daily streak.

So collector and trader make the most $$$ then we got naturalist and moonshiner wich give also $$$$

Bounty hunter is the only role that gives gold although it can be small sometimes , atleast it give you acces to earning a bit of gold from the role

there are a few parameters , how many alive etc , and there is a hidden mechanic.

If you deliver the bounties below 30 seconds you get a bit more gold i don't know the specific calculation but a bit more

also at some point you will get legendary bounty missions , they have no time limit , the longer you are in the mission ( you zone into a private game for the legendary target) the more gold you get.

Do the dailies ( they are in the player menu ingame ) each 7 days gives you a muliplier , if you hit 28 days you get 2.5 multiplier.

thats 0.5 gold per daily , at some point you can do 9 role dailies and 7 normal ones.

Also and this is really important you can reset challenges you complete , like loot 1000 ppl , kill 1000 people with any weapon etc.

there are close to a 100 challenges , a lot can be resetted 10 times , giving you 0.4 gold each reset.

They are hidden in Menu - progress - awards , there are the different sub folders.

You get a notification ingame when you complete different steps of each challenge , as soon as they hit gold you should reset them.

Also treasure maps , do them treasure maps , loot as many ppl as you can too , for collectables , treasure maps , dollars , ammo.

there is also a challenge loot 1000 ppl , can be done 10 times too.

This link right here is a map wich shows all collectables , but can be personally modified , you can add your treasure maps , and other stuff.

you can manual search collectables , you can even add the normal plants , there are lots of options.

jeanropke.github.io...

I add all my treasure maps on that map , and if i get out of a mission cl i can see right away if im close to a treasure map or collectable.

when you add treasure maps to it , you see 4 red crosses in the yellow treasure map area , it will randomly be at one of those 4 crosses.

If you are new you should only spend your gold on buying new roles for now , at some point you will have a decent amount , stuff like coloring your weapons etc can only be done with gold , wich can get expensive at some point.

A lot of roles can be multitasked too , if you go to a bounty target you can pickup collectables , or even hunt a bit.

These are just a few tips to generate income , if there are more questions i be happy to help.

edit on 27-10-2020 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I tried the single player. I couldn't handle needing to pet and feed the #ing horses. It'd be like playing GTA and needing to hit up the gas station and follow traffic rules. I find open world games in general to be fairly boring. They lack purpose.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I haven't played it for 2 years, might download it again. One of my favourite pass times was dragging some numbnuts to the tracks and leaving them hogtied.

They did a lot to stop greifing when I started playing elsewhere.

Fishing used to be good money, if you have a partner you can take turns selling the big fish. You can only realistically take 1 sturgeon (using horse) or something to market at a time but they were easy catches. NW of Orleans I think was a good spot.

It's been a while tho

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I love RDO, in fact its the only game I play.

Played story mode to death, to the point that their isn't any other possible achievement I could do that I haven't already done.

As to how to make money on RDO... the short answer is to buy all the roles and rank up. The collector role is probably the most profitable when your just starting off if you use the jeanropke map, but its a total grind and rock* nerfed it after they released the Naturalist role, so some the more valuable collections are now completely randomized.

Trader and moonshiner are the most consistent and reliable source of income imo, although the profits are pretty low until you rank up in the roles. The new naturalist role has gotten a bad rap, but you'll want it for the trader role... so instead of spending hours running around hunting 3 star animals, you can just do 2 or 3 legendary animal missions for Herriot then donate the pelts to cribs.

I only ever hunt for animal fat and recreation, since the Naturalist role came out.

The bounty hunter role earns the least of all the roles... it is the only role that earns gold, but its really low and not worth the time spent. I only ever do 5 star legendary bounties for the pure fun of it, now I've maxed out the role.

getting a 21+ dailies streak is hands down the best way to earn gold, after 21 days you'll be getting .5 gold bars for each daily. The more roles you have the more dailies you can do.

As to being a griefer... its not my style, I have a rule to only fire at another player if fired upon first. But I don't get all wand up about being griefed either, like some of the people on reddit. I'm personally always up for a bit of pvp

Though, the only one thing I will say is, if you ever come across me in a lobby well doing a moonshiner mission and decide to shoot me in the back of the head and blow up my wagon, at least have the common bloody decency to hang around for a while. Don't just quickly jump servers before I've even got a chance to take you out with a clean head shot from my bolt action a few times... That s# makes me wild!

new topics

top topics

join