It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next SpaceX test flight - Starship will have the nosecone attached

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

SpaceX has conducted several test flights of its Starship prototype, and so far, they’ve all flown only a portion of the rocket. Previous test flights have lacked the nosecone where one day payloads and perhaps astronauts will sit. SpaceX is gearing up for another test flight, and this time it’s attaching the nosecone on top of the rocket.

The coming test flight will see the vehicle fly higher than any past flight tests have gone. Once the rocket is complete, it will make an uncrewed test flight to an altitude of nine miles. The rocket is currently being assembled at the South Texas site the company uses for testing.

The nosecone being attached to the spaceship in the image above, is known as Starship SN8, which stands for Serial Number 8. SN8 earlier this week tested its trio of Raptor engines in a static fire test with no issue. Before the spacecraft lifts off, it will conduct another static fire test.
SpaceX stacks its Starship prototype in preparation for another test flight

This will be a cool test of the Starship prototype. I am glad SpaceX is advancing at such a good pace. Before too long they will be testing the Starship in space and hopefully one day soon, a trip to Mars.

And Starlink is keeping the money flowing in.

Bill Gates has a history of interest in satellite Internet and in September, Microsoft announced their Azure Obrital ground station service, which enables satellite access to its Azure cloud services. SES, Viasat, and Intelsat were announced as initial partners and SpaceX just signed up. Starlink+Azure Orbital will compete with Amazon's satellite constellation and its ground-station service. (For more on Azure Orbital, check out this podcast interview and transcript of product manager Nora Zhan).

SpaceX did some good and got good publicity by providing seven user terminals to the Washington State Emergency Management Division for deployment in at least one region hit hard by summer wildfires. Richard Hall, the emergency telecommunications leader of the Washington State Military Department's IT division, said he had "never set up any tactical satellite equipment that has been as quick to set up, and anywhere near as reliable" as Starlink.

This month, SpaceX provided connectivity to the Hoh Indian tribe west of Seattle. I don't know how many terminals were provided or the speed and latency of the service, but the response and publicity have been positive.
SpaceX Starlink Is on a Roll

SpaceX launched another set of Starlink satellites Oct. 24, marking the 100th time the company has placed payloads into orbit.

The Falcon 9 rocket lifted off from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at 11:31 a.m. Eastern. The rocket’s upper stage deployed the payload of 60 Starlink satellites into orbit 63 minutes after liftoff. The first stage, making its third flight, landed on a droneship in the Atlantic Ocean.

This was the 100th successful launch in the company’s history. That total includes 95 Falcon 9, three Falcon Heavy and two Falcon 1 launches. The company also suffered three Falcon 1 launch failures and one Falcon 9 launch failure; another Falcon 9 was destroyed in 2016 during preparations for a static-fire test.
SpaceX reaches 100 successful launches with Starlink mission

I do worry sometimes about big tech owners having too much tech, power and money.

Seen too many Dr. Evil movies.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I wonder if they will test the folding fin air breaking maneuver or just let it drop vertically before it lands on engine power? The article does not go into many details of the test.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Lol
Starship is a bit of a reach .... no? ITs just a rocket!

a reply to: LookingAtMars

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

Yes it is. I was driving behind a car today with the name Armada on it. It looked nothing like a fleet of warships.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Starship is a bit of a reach .... no? ITs just a rocket

It is certainly not like the Starship Enterprise. Granted, so you can term that hyperbole if you wish. But to call it "just a rocket" is an understatement in the opposite direction. "Rockets" in the traditional sense go up and either don't come down at all, or they burn up in the atmosphere, or they crash--on purpose. But this "starship" is designed to go up, then come back down and land on Earth, or Mars, or the Moon, or presumably a lot of other places in the solar system. That is qualitatively different than just using it to blast something off the surface of the Earth, once, which is all anyone else has ever done.

If you will remember, quite a number of expert pundits proclaimed that such a feat could not be done. I remember them on TV proclaiming that a reusable booster, for example, could not be done. Now with 100 successful launches, about 60 booster recoveries, and a number of boosters having flown three or four times, SpaceX is eating everyone else's lunch. SpaceX has a vision, and they've given an inspirational name to their vehicle. Considering that so many people insist on staring at their own feet, if they want to call their vehicle a Starship, that's quite alright with me.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I remember almost 20 years ago, Musk said he was going to build this spaceship and go to Mars. Most laughed at him and called him crazy. Some still do.

It's not looking that crazy anymore and he now has successful rocket and satellite companies.

The man has accomplished a lot and it's not over yet.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   
so some farmer is lunching his Corn silo into space? LOL that is what it looks like lol.'
Just so every one knows The US had a shuttle that could be reused and even the boosters could be reused as well so this is Not a new thing .

edit on 24-10-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

But it is just a rocket, albeit more advanced than other rockets.... so it can land, its still a rocket! Using essentially 90 year old technology (jet propulsion). So lets not overestimate things huh! It aint no big black triangle, and it sure as fcuk aint no Straship.... lol!

if they want to call their vehicle a Starship, that's quite alright with me

Yeah i guess in todays idiocratic age where you're forced to call a girl a boy, and a boy a girl.... might aswell call a rocket a starship!
Lest you offend anyone, god forbid!

posted on Oct, 25 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   

The space shuttle required months to years of repair each flight. I call that rebuildable but not reusable. They are going for a turn around of days and eventually less than a day for some missions with the Starship.

A lot of things look like silos, some commercial jets look like sideways silos with things stuck on them. What is your point?

posted on Oct, 25 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Jet propulsion? Humm, I can't find the air intake. Can you show it to me?

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge
This is becoming pathetic!

Point is its a rocket... not a starship! It cant reach other star systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, yes you are correct, it doesnt use jet propulsion, i was mistaken! Still dont change the fact its a rocket!

Facts dont care about your feelings

posted on Oct, 26 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Starship is the name of the rocket.

As posted by others, it is not your normal everyday rocket.

Even so, I thought it was clear that it is just a rocket and not the Starship Enterprise.

Or is this just MDS, "Starship Man Bad".

edit on 26-10-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

join