It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barbie addresses racism (more like "white privilege")

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I have long appreciated the Barbie movies that are put out now. My kids have been watching them for 14 years now, and I would be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy them too. They have some fun moments for the parents. The movies are clean and free of vulgarities and inappropriate material.

Apparently she has a vlog on YouTube. I was not aware of this, though if my younger kids wanted to tune in, I wouldn't have been opposed. Until now. I saw this yesterday evening and I was fairly appalled. It is titled innocently enough "Barbie and Nikki Discuss Racism". Not a bad topic to break down for younger children, especially for those of us who are not great at contextualizing difficult topics for little ones.

But this isn't about racism (which does, and I believe always, will exist). This is about indoctrinating children with the idea of white privilege. And while I can understand that it does exist, it is not the prevalent problem that the media and BLM are screaming about. This made my skin crawl. It is less than 3 minutes, but I will quote the part that bothered me the most:
Just a note, that Barbie and her fictional friends live in Malibu..... take that for what it is.

Nikki and Barbie are discussing how Nikki has been treated differently on the beaches of Malibu and in French class because she is black. Nikki says, "People did these things to me because I was black and they made the wrong assumptions about me". To which Barbie replies, "And they don't make those assumptions about white people...that means that white people get an advantage that they didn't earn and black people get a disadvantage that they don't deserve"

One of the issues I take here is that we cannot know why everything is done and the factors that lead up to it. One might say it is an assumption to claim that this or that was done, simply because you are black. Another issue is that black people also get advantages that they might not necessarily "deserve", based solely on the color of their skin. The fact that those potentially "undeserved" advantages were enacted to create equality is kind of obsolete, in the context of a black and white (no pun intended) discussion about "unearned privilege".

Maybe Malibu is a really tough place for black Americans? It is one of the wealthiest areas of the country and has a very low black population. But that is really beside the point.

This video wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't brought "white privilege" into it. I probably would have asked my kids to watch it with me, had that been the case.

Now, I am white, and I realize that my lived experience isn't that of a black American, or anyone else for that matter. I also don't want to invalidate others' experiences just because I don't view it in the same light. But it makes me very uncomfortable seeing this. I am fully supportive of educating young kids about the reality of racism. I have had several discussions with my children about it, always telling them that some people will treat others differently, based on nothing but their appearance. I also stress to them the importance of never doing that themselves, and that regardless of anyone's beliefs, race, sexual orientation or self identification, all people are worthy of their respect.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Barbie's ANTIFA ensemble and Riot Snack Van set...NOW on sale at fine stores everywhere.

Loot your's today!
edit on 23-10-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Barbie the definition of a White Privileged, North American Woman who only success is garuanteed by good looks (just like every Disney Princess story, all the while being strong independent woman who crying for Prince Charming) . All the while the first black one didnt come out until 20 years later...which was made by a white guy btw.
First Black Barbie

Goes without saying, i do see where your frustrations are coming from. Should be Smart, independent woman, cauae strong usually implies stupidity.

edit on 23-10-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
The movies are clean and free of vulgarities and inappropriate material.

Booorrrrrrring.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

This only gives white guilt to white children. I don't think that's right. A white child shouldn't feel bad about themselves just because they are white. A black person shouldn't be made to feel any less than a white person and should be treated the same. This is common sense. Just because you are a certain color, doesn't mean you are racist.

Kids should be raised to treat others the way that they themselves wish to be treated.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, I am a boring mom.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The movies are clean and free of vulgarities and inappropriate material.

Booorrrrrrring.

Introducing Barbie's new White Supremacist cousin...Klaus Barbie!

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Yes, I am a boring mom.

That makes one of us.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Introducing Barbie's new White Supremacist cousin...Klaus Barbie!

Ja, and if your purchase now you get Nuremburg Kurt Waldheim free of charge. Comes with lists, papers and cool skull insignia.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think some people mix up the 'slowly getting used to diversity' with racism.
Our time is special, we had the biggest and fastest mixing with cultures in human history. Literally all happened within the last 200 years, speeding up like chit in the last 40 years.

I don't think it would be weird to assume that most humans who are not used to so much diversity are suddenly sitting up and wonder what is happening.
Suddenly everything they knew and held dear is being crumpled up and spat out and they are told that they have to absolutely love this new way because otherwise they are a racist.

Hang on, that's not how racism works. In my country we had immigrants and we saw the first ones starting with street sweeping but soon move up to owning restaurants. That also happened to the next lot etc.

It took years however and frankly of course we were weary. Any animal is weary when a new animal they don't know comes into their lives.

Some you will get used to and accept as friends, others you will actually not like so much and wish you didn't have to ever deal with them. It's your right. As long as everyone stays civil and has the same rights, you don't have to fall in deep love with any people or culture if you don't want to.

If a country has been mostly western and foreigners come in and demand you all live like them now, otherwise you are hitler isn't really appealing. It is also no mystery that in a former country that was one way, statistically more natives will win trophies, work in jobs or appear on TV.

However those normal slow slope adjustments are now called racism and white supremacy. Is it African supremacy that their continent is like 90% black and most trophies and actors and singers and workers are black? Or maybe it's racism?

Give humans a chance to adjust, get to know and value you, which as a country may take a hundred years or more.
HAving worked in a lab most of the time I always say that you can't add acid to water in one big swoop as it will bloody explode around your head. It has to be done very slowly and carefully and thus you can actually mix acid with water!

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

You said it perfectly! I couldn't articulate it well, but you did. I think that is the crux of everything going on. People have to adjust and learn and see that things are still ok, even if they are changing. And just because someone isn't adjusting as quickly as others would want, it doesn't mean they are a racist.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Ken needs to show up and mansplain some sense into them

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Ever pull his pants down? He doesn't have the equipment....

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Ken is having a few changes made.
He's now self-identifying as a black female and calling himself 'Big Mike'.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Funny

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The butcher of Lyon?

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
ive had 3 friends i have known since damn well grade school tell me this year, all of a sudden, they realized im 'racist'

im sick of this nonsense.

ive seen books saying, how not to be racist.

who are they marketting those books to?

no one i know is racist, because im a normal person, and i make friends with nice people.

and i posted this on social media.

-
your friends are not racist. not many people are racist.
so stop telling people not to be racist, because in reality, the only people 'following' you on social media, UNLESS you are a celebrity, are your friends.
if you think so low of your friends, you need to preach to them?

GTFOOH

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: IAMTAT

The butcher of Lyon?

Technically, it's 'MALIBU butcher of Lyon'.

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If Barbie went to a village in north Africa, and she was treated differently, would that be an example of BLACK privilege?

Or would it just be how things are?

What if she stayed there for a few weeks, got to know everyone, and was no longer treated as an outsider? Would that mean that every white blonde anorexic girl who came to north Africa would be treated as a local and a friend?

I think those who push the "white privilege" garbage aren't very smart. it's just "privilege".

posted on Oct, 23 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Ever pull his pants down? He doesn't have the equipment....

At least their 60 years ahead of the non binary gender curve.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join