It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's an App to Save Your Grocery Budget. Flashfood.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Is anyone else in Canada using the Flashfood app? (I think it's also available in a couple random U.S. locations in Pennsylvania?)

It's great for anyone stretching grocery budget, looking to buy bulk things for preserving, or people like me who are just cheap as hell.

Check it out!

Here's my order from the other day. I tend to purchase meats that are all ready "cheap" and freeze them, boxes of peppers (because they're super expensive here) to slice and freeze, fruits and cheeses that's we'd eat right away, and breads that can be frozen and reheated in the oven like baguette that I can use last minute to crisp up for guests.

Meat is typically 50% off:

And fruit and veg are done up in boxes ranging from 50-90% off:

Bread is usually 75-90% off, but it is always 1-2 days out from expiring. If you know what freezes well, you can get some good deals on higher quality breads to use in a pinch.

I've never seen this advertised anywhere other than at the grocery store itself.

Hopefully this saves some Canadian ATS (...or Pennsylvanian??? Why?) members some money during these weird weird times. I've been using it since August and my freezers are full.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

That's a useful app! Unfortunately, no good here in Europe, maybe I can find something equivalent.

Anyway, I see you are frugal to the point of activating data saving on your phone, too.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I hope you find something!

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Never heard of these guys, but will definitely check out. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I was shopping at the local store last weekend and they have close dated stuff in certain spots. I bought ten one pound Westfield butters for ninety nine cents a pound....they usually go for two fifty on sale. I froze most of it, it tastes good yet, we are using some right now.

We occasionally buy some close date stuff from the bins, depends on what it is though. Some stuff does not taste right if it gets old.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Very true. I always get the on sale butter and freeze it.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Thanks Atsbhct - I've downloaded this and see some incredible deals. Will look into this further.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite

Yay! Hope you save tons of money.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Before covid, butter would be cheap before Christmas and Easter and during some times of the year when stores would draw people in to shop with the cheap butter. We utilized that pattern to stock up on things, but that stupid covid blew everything and toilet paper and paper towel never go on sale much and when they do now at a great price, you have to get to the store the morning the sale starts before nine AM to get it or it is gone.

We are on our third vacuum packer that we wore out over the last ten years. You can get a vacuum bagger for ten bucks like new at Vinnies, the last two lasted just as long as the new one we bought, about four years. Bread machines are another thing you can get for ten bucks at Vinnies or rummage sales, we have gone through three bread machines that I use for mixing dough for making bread over the last ten years. People bought them and then never used them much so bring them to vinnies. We make dough for bread and rolls and dough for cinnamon rolls in the bread machine at least twice a week all year round, bringing rolls and cinnamon rolls to the kids families with soups quite often. The deer also love the fresh rolls dusted with fine corn meal...all organic grains. This doe we now have coming every morning and night with her fawn, loves butter on her homemade rolls and likes cinnamon toast and rolls too. It kind of Irks our kids and grandkids when they know we are feeding the deer what they like so much.

top topics

join