It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump files emergency request with Supreme Court to stop release of his tax returns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
We're at it again with Trump's tax returns:

President Trump has filed an emergency request with the Supreme Court to block the release of his tax returns. The request comes as the Senate is holding confirmation hearings for Judge Amy Coney Barrett, the president's nominee to the Supreme Court.

Last week, a federal appeals court ruled Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance can enforce a subpoena for Mr. Trump's business records and tax returns, a blow to the president as he tries to keep those returns from a grand jury. The president's attorneys are asking the Supreme Court to grant a stay, to hear the case and overturn the lower court's decision.

"The president should have a fair chance to develop his serious overbreadth and bad-faith claims before his records are disclosed," the president's attorneys write. "The court should preserve the status quo in order to afford the president that opportunity."

Source

One would assume the cat was largely out the bag with the motherload of tax returns we received from NYT, but Trump's actions seem to be pointing to more hidden. If we're to be conservative here in our thinking, it may just be further dealings in direct conflict with tax law, or potentially something more?

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

now wait a minute. Didn't the NY Times just tell us all about Trump's taxes? I thought they had them?

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

As an individual I would do the same thing as trump out of principle. So what's the story here? Trump does something you don't like?
edit on 16-10-2020 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Orange Man Bad so therefore Orange Man gets no Constitutional rights.

Pretty sure that's how it works.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

now wait a minute. Didn't the NY Times just tell us all about Trump's taxes? I thought they had them?

Yea? Good point? I didn't read their explanation. Apparantly they got 20 years worth? So given this, I'd think Trump has a juicy lawsuit at hand after the elections?

Regardless, you'd figure if his tax history wasn't as bad.... why would he still be trying to hide it? His supporters largely accepted the load that came from NYT. He was called a genius? Yet still, the hiding??

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

As an individual I would do the same thing as trump out of principle.

Out of principal you say?

Yes, Donald Trump is the only president not to release his tax returns in 40 years

Seems like transparency to the highest office in the land is a principal, no?

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Regardless, you'd figure if his tax history wasn't as bad.... why would he still be trying to hide it?

Really man? The "if you have nothing to hide" argument?

What about the "Donald Trump has Constitutional rights" argument?

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Direct conflict with tax laws on returns that have already been filed?
Not possible unless you are accusing the IRS of not knowing their own tax laws.
Nothing burger now and always will be a nothing burger.
Let it go.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: Antipathy17

As an individual I would do the same thing as trump out of principle.

Out of principal you say?

Yes, Donald Trump is the only president not to release his tax returns in 40 years

Seems like transparency to the highest office in the land is a principal, no?

It’s not a law that he has to release his returns, so there is that.
Still voting Trump and I will celebrate his win on Nov 3rd.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I thought they already were released. He paid $750 in taxes and employed 90,000 people all over the world.

Things are getting pretty bad for them, when news organizations have to recirculate old stories.

link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Orange Man Bad so therefore Orange Man gets no Constitutional rights.

I'm sure you know more about constitutional rights than the Supreme Court of the land Project, given they ruled agai nst Trump trying to hide his tax returns from public? You know, the one with majority conservative appointed judges?

Of course you do. One of our local ATS scholars here.

link   

Constitutional rights are based on the PRINCIPLE that the individual has the right to be secure in his property, papers and effects from unreasonable searches and seizures and that no warrant shall issue but upon probable cause.

"Because the other guys did it" isn't a good argument.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I thought they already were released. He paid $750 in taxes

Exactly! So why's he still trying to eagerly block it's release if the NYT released the bulk of it?

It makes no sense!

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

He paid 5.2 million.

Do we really gotta go through that again?

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Your appeal to authority fallacy is noted.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Constitutional rights are based on the PRINCIPLE that the individual has the right to be secure in his property, papers and effects from unreasonable searches and seizures and that no warrant shall issue but upon probable cause.

That's right project. Tell our largely conservative appointed Supreme Court Judges how to do their job. The world's foremost internet scholar here.

link   
I thought he paid 750 Bucks just lke Joe said, leaving out that he employees 90,000 people. Didn't the New York Times have this a while ago?

link   
I don't pay much tax either...
But my businesses as hell does.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

He paid 5.2 million.

Do we really gotta go through that again?

Why's he still trying to hide it then project?? Surely there's nothing further. The cat's out the bag already, right?

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Yeah principle. If I wanna do it, I will. If I don't care enough and no effort goes in either way and then you wanna force me to, yea i'll fight'cha. Outta principle.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join