It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Online Media Is Unreliable

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
But didnt you use the.same.electronic media to debunk said story???

a reply to: ketsuko

I've had arguments here over the meanings of words with members using my American Heritage dictionary that I received from the Honors Society in high school.

I could have used it for reference. It's hard copy. It gets dismissed because it's American Heritage and not Merriam-Webster.

Sort of like using a source that references governments stats and/or the NYT or some other mainstream source only to have it dismissed out of hand because it's a right wing source.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Ahh, its called bias reinforcement i think? Maybe ATS can have a peer review board. Lol

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

The thing is that, and I've seen this pointed out in essays, we cannot even have a conversation if we aren't even speaking the same language. And this is firm evidence that we aren't. As this demonstrates, we have people who constantly shift the language (and who knows what all else now if we aren't archiving and taking screenies) to suit their own arguments.

Two weeks ago, sexual preference was just that -- another way to refer to sexual orientation. But today, thanks to the political circumstance surrounding a SCOTUS judge confirmation and the declaration of one senator, not even a smart one at that, it is suddenly enshrined in our dictionary as an offensive way to refer to sexual orientation.

Now I understand that language shifts over time, but it's not supposed to turn on the whim of one person and one moment like this.

I mean FFS Hirono isn't even LGBT+BBQ, but now she apparently gets to dictate how *they* feel about terms?!

edit on 15-10-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I just saw that. I thought it was some.joke. Nope.
Its appalling.

For a renowned reference material to do that is astonishing. And for a senator to play gotcha is reprehensible.

Its like we have entered a twighlight.zone episode where up is down on some one perons whim.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
a reply to: DBCowboy

Orwellian.

. . . . sexual preference . . . .

triggered.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: lakenheath24

The thing is that, and I've seen this pointed out in essays, we cannot even have a conversation if we aren't even speaking the same language. And this is firm evidence that we aren't. As this demonstrates, we have people who constantly shift the language (and who knows what all else now if we aren't archiving and taking screenies) to suit their own arguments.

Two weeks ago, sexual preference was just that -- another way to refer to sexual orientation. But today, thanks to the political circumstance surrounding a SCOTUS judge confirmation and the declaration of one senator, not even a smart one at that, it is suddenly enshrined in our dictionary as an offensive way to refer to sexual orientation.

Now I understand that language shifts over time, but it's not supposed to turn on the whim of one person and one moment like this.

I mean FFS Hirono isn't even LGBT+BBQ, but now she apparently gets to dictate how *they* feel about terms?!

a few years ago, I was having a discussion here about someone who wasn't a mason, but the opposing guy was sure he was. he kept using WIKI as a source and it became irritating. I went to WIKI, edited the page to state that the person was not a mason, then linked that. It was dishonest, but I was proving a point that you can't use such flimsy sources and expect to have credibility. this is taking it a few steps from there. Now, we won't be able to use anything for sources, as it can all be changed, and likely will.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a few years ago, I was having a discussion here about someone who wasn't a mason, but the opposing guy was sure he was. he kept using WIKI as a source and it became irritating. I went to WIKI, edited the page to state that the person was not a mason, then linked that. It was dishonest, but I was proving a point that you can't use such flimsy sources and expect to have credibility.

I remember that and I'm still pissed you did it to me.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Why are people so stupid?

What is going on really?

EVERYONE HAS PREFERENCES

GO EFF YOURSELVES 'WOKE' PEOPLE

GET ME OFF THIS PLANET

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

is this our future? I think we need to go back to books. they are a bit harder to change.
EMP attack might not be as bad in the end as was previously thought.

No radiation either! My eyes now hurt reading on a tablet! Books are much more reliable and comfortable but probably will soon all be burned too.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
My professors hated Wiki . Mainly because of Masons.

a reply to: network dude

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

a few years ago, I was having a discussion here about someone who wasn't a mason, but the opposing guy was sure he was. he kept using WIKI as a source and it became irritating. I went to WIKI, edited the page to state that the person was not a mason, then linked that. It was dishonest, but I was proving a point that you can't use such flimsy sources and expect to have credibility.

I remember that and I'm still pissed you did it to me.

Yes, and not matter how many times you insist on it, Michael Jackson is not a mason, and he died. (Sorry to break it like that)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   

My professors hated Wiki . Mainly because of Masons.

a reply to: network dude

Maybe it was him I was speaking to.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
jewish gets a pass. opression points que greta thorn# about how we feel
a reply to: butcherguy

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This applies to all “news” and how it’s been done. The online aspect makes it faster and easier for those paying attention to spot, you did it. All media has been manipulating the conversation and keeping us away from the wrong subjects and information.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Language is organic. English, not having an Institut Francais or Real Academia, grows as it is used.

Dictionaries of English do not define words. They give definitions of words as used by others. This is true going back before Noah Webster, before Samuel Johnson.

If the a word or phrase develops different connotations, a dictionary will reflect them. Think of the words gay, queer, chick, spade, queen, drag. Think of the words enormity, iconic, billion.

If someone influential uses the phrase "sexual preference" to imply that sexuality is a choice, with full knowledge of the weight of the phrase, and it gets picked up and transmitted and becomes part of the mainstream of language with that weight, it is the dictionary's job to record it.

This is not Orwellian. It is not ideological. It's what dictionaries do and have done for centuries.

This is not rocket science. It's not even undergraduate knowledge about language. This is grade school stuff.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

is this our future? I think we need to go back to books. they are a bit harder to change.
EMP attack might not be as bad in the end as was previously thought.

I guess you haven't heard of supplements to dictionaries?

Here's one from 1833

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The change itself isn't the story - its that it happened at the same time that commie Mazie Hirono was redefining it for the first time live on C-Span, the same moment - which means it was a "conspiracy" to defame a federal judge with accusations of manufactured hate speech.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I guess I don't give a # if I offend someone with speech. Had to double check my last sentence...Yep, It's correct, I really don't give a flip snowflake, sorry.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Oral traditions are not Covid safe. Unless you use a garbage bag and zip ties.

Around here we just use trojans

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
No radiation either! My eyes now hurt reading on a tablet! Books are much more reliable and comfortable but probably will soon all be burned too.

Are you using night mode? I find that helps. I used to live in a big old house in NY, and preferred books back then too. I had whole walls lined with book shelves. I have since moved to a much smaller place, and simply have no room for a library of any kind anymore. I can fit a few billion books on my tablet thingie. Plus, I can make the text bigger if I need to, that is also nice. But I always use night mode. If the tablet don't have one, get a reader app that does!
edit on Sun, 18 Oct 2020 22:15:40 -0500 by TKDRL because: gigger > bigger

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join