It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers synthesize room temperature superconducting material

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Imperial as in "Royal" or Imperial vs Metric?

1st heard the great group Metric leaving Europe half asleep on the planes entertainment system

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

The whole entire’s circuit’s resistance (and capacitance) is built into the circuit. It is not a surprise.

That is my point!!

You will have to recalculate all the circuits and energy transmission all over again.

But that will be a good, actually great, thing.

Sorry that you have focused on the other end of the stick (and don’t want to dream of a better future... but to each their own...)

The world changes!

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
There are superconductors at the LHC and they do have protection circuitry. I'm not sure how much the protection schemes will change because of superconductors operating at room temperature, but sure I could accept there could be a learning curve when dealing with room temperature superconductors.

I'm hopeful that room temperature superconductors can be developed, but from what the researchers are saying they are aiming for lower pressures and it sounds like standard atmospheric pressure room temperature superconductors are currently beyond their vision. I'm not sure if that will ever be possible, but if it ever happens, it sure would be helpful. We lose something like 7-10% of all the electricity we generate in transmission losses, so think if we could save all that lost energy!

But if the room temperature superconductor wires are made of a material more expensive than gold to produce, it may be more economical to keep losing the 7-10% waste using cheap wires. Or another way to look at it is, we already have low temperature superconductors available, but the reason we don't use them in electrical power distribution is because it's not economical.The 10% losses from resistance saved would be more than offset by the costs of running the cooling system, etc.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join