It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US moves to sell Taiwan $2B coastal defense cruise missile package to deter Chinese invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

That price tag procures 100 of the cruise missiles while the State Department also alerted lawmakers to an expected sale of advanced MQ-9 Reaper drones. That move comes on the heels of a decision to take the same procedural step for three other weapons deals, including truck-mounted artillery and long-range air-to-ground missiles, as the United States seeks to provide the island with enough weaponry to deter an invasion by the mainland communist power’s People’s Liberation Army.

“While the PLA’s actions are real and dangerous, the PLA is not unbeatable,” David Helvey, the acting U.S. assistant secretary of defense for East Asia, said last week. “Taiwan can, through smart investments, send a clear signal to Beijing that Taiwan’s society and its armed forces are absolutely committed to the defense of Taiwan.”

The pre-notification to Congress was first reported by Reuters. A State Department official declined to comment on the report, observing more generally that the notification process is designed to give lawmakers a chance to raise any hypothetical objections in private before making a public announcement about an arms sale.
US moves to sell Taiwan $2B coastal defense cruise missile package to deter Chinese invasion

Wow, this is a pretty big FU to the CCP!

They are already reacting. Saying the deal damages their "sovereignty and security". Video at the link below.
China Protests Reports Of New U.S. Arm Sales To Taiwan

The CCP doesn't take their sovereignty or security lightly. Good chance they will respond with some kind of action.

I say sell Taiwan just about anything they can afford. Short of stuff like nukes, chems and bio of course.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Or the Chinese just end up obtaining one and ripping it off.

Is their forte and all.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Bet they have already ripped off all our weapon systems that are public.

And a few black projects ones too.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
They're Harpoon antiship missiles, not "coastal defense cruise missiles".

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's makes more sense.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Owes US a trillion bucks for a century. Still has credit to buy 2B in weapons from US. Nice. Maybe we can throw it on the backs of US taxpayers.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Given that we sell quite a bit to foreign countries and contractors, I'm sure they have ripped off quite a bit.

Now, I'd like to think that we're not doing it with better systems, but the Chinese have proven to still be effective when you look at the AEGIS system.

I admit it's a complicated game I don't know much about though.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

There is no way we allow anything cutting edge we have over china to be sold to a country whom is literally owned by China, which could just as easily get their hands on it to pick a part and learn from.

Not happening ever...

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Owes US a trillion bucks for a century. Still has credit to buy 2B in weapons from US. Nice. Maybe we can throw it on the backs of US taxpayers.

That's ok we borrowed it from China.

Likely better than China invading Taiwan. Who knows what would happen then.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

There is no way we allow anything cutting edge we have over china to be sold to a country whom is literally owned by China, which could just as easily get their hands on it to pick a part and learn from.

Not happening ever...

I can understand that.

In that case we should sell them all the Reaper drones and Harpoon missiles they can afford.

edit on 13-10-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Any guesses as to how many secrets Feinstein's driver sold the CCP during his tenure?

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Me either...

I guess you also have to worry about Taiwan doing something crazy like attacking another country.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Hell yes .

This is my kinda world politics right here.

Those communist release a virus whether purposeful or not is yet to be seen , but some sort of punishment is due.

A few billion dollars in Coastal cruise missiles to Taiwan is a start .

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Taiwan is also buying 66 F-16V Block 70/72 fighters. The deal was approved last year, and the contracts were signed in August. They have also begun locally upgrading their existing F-16s to the V standard. The new aircraft will be built in South Carolina and delivered to Taipei, and probably Arizona.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I wonder if this story is connected to the OP www.sinodaily.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Or the Chinese just end up obtaining one and ripping it off.

Is their forte and all.

Let's be realistic here. Every year over 300,000 Chinese student graduate from US institutions, and Engineering is one of the most popular subjects for them, and this has been happening for decades.

China doesn't need to steal those systems, half of them were probably built by Chinese nationals in the first place.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Given that we sell quite a bit to foreign countries and contractors, I'm sure they have ripped off quite a bit.

Now, I'd like to think that we're not doing it with better systems, but the Chinese have proven to still be effective when you look at the AEGIS system.

Sounds like you know just enough to be an expert online.

We're the biggest arms dealer in the world 🙂

What can go wrong.
Weird that were not bringing freedom and democracy directly to China🤔🤪

But don't get our munitions hopes up, China is overseeing the transactions as we sqeak 😊

new topics

top topics

join