It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight nations sign U.S.-led Artemis moon agreements

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The accords, named after NASA’s Artemis moon program, seek to build on existing international space law by establishing “safety zones” that would surround future moon bases to prevent conflict between states operating there, and by allowing private companies to own the lunar resources they mine.

The United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Luxembourg, Italy, the United Kingdom, and the United Arab Emirates signed the bilateral agreements during an annual space conference on Tuesday following months of talks in a U.S. bid to cultivate allies under its plan to return astronauts to the moon by 2024.

“What we’re trying to do is establish norms of behavior that every nation can agree to,” NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine told reporters. He said the accords are consistent with a 1967 treaty holding that the moon and other celestial bodies are exempt from national claims of ownership.
Eight nations sign U.S.-led Artemis moon agreements

NASA announced today that a pact with seven other countries has been signed. It is a pact for the exploration of the moon and sets norms of behavior for long term moon bases.

Something like this has been needed for a long time. This should get commercial operations on the moon started. Surely the foggy legality of commercial mining on the moon has held some back.

Before this pact it could be argued that a commercial craft could not even land on the moon. Let alone keep what was mined.

Now there is a pact that will allow companies to keep what they mine on the moon. I haven't read the pact yet. I would hope it protects historic landing sites and hardware.

The price of getting hardware into space is cheaper than it has ever been and that cost will only keep dropping.

I truly believe this pact could be the beginning of a whole new era of space exploration. Now if we can only get the space elevator built and low earth orbit colonized.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The first steps to space colonization.

I'm glad this is finally being taken seriously.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

This is wonderful news! Thanks for posting!
edit on 13-10-2020 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The only way space will be properly explored with off world bases and colonys is when it becomes profitable.
Which it now is.
Looking forward to watching all the space companies trying to race to become our real (off)world version of the Tyrell corporation.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
misery.

lets bring our warz to the moon now.

the moon should be fokkin neutral.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

This pact will not make the moon any less neutral. You still can not plant a flag and claim the land.

Humankind will always explore and expand the boundaries.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Interesting addition with the UAE...didn't they just historically normalize diplomatic relations with Israel? Wonder if the inclusion in moon money was in the deal...

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Luxembourg?

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
misery.

lets bring our warz to the moon now.

the moon should be fokkin neutral.

There will probably be lots of misery and death on the moon but it won't be from war.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Saint Exupery

What, they have a space agency.

I question why Israel is not in the pact.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

That's be wonderful! Sadly, we can't get along down here...so why think it could work "up-there"?

Because, it's a start! We have to start behaving as one race. The "human" one!

Thnx a bunch! Peace

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Interesting addition with the UAE...didn't they just historically normalize diplomatic relations with Israel? Wonder if the inclusion in moon money was in the deal...

No, they gave away East Jerusalem behind the 'green line', to the Palestinians, including the Temple Mount, for at least four years. Though, how Israel is ever going to regain soverignity over all of Jerusalem in the future is a good question.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I claim all the gold on mars.
Patent pending
Lord Amazon, emperor of the universe here

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Corr

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Lol
That’s funny!

But seriously
The cost of going, living, mining, refining, returning home.....etc would cost more than the selling price of the gold.
I think I’ve read it’s around $10k per pound just to get into orbit.
It’s got to be higher to got lunar.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

So it couldn't be possible that other concessions were made to placate all parties involved? You say that with such confidence that it's as if you were in the room for negotiations...

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

So it couldn't be possible that other concessions were made to placate all parties involved? You say that with such confidence that it's as if you were in the room for negotiations...

This was the plan:

Pres ident Donald J. Trump’s Vision for Peace, Prosperity, and a Brighter Future for Israel and the Palestinian People - White House.gov

This was the implementation:

Joint Statement of the United States, the State of Israel, and the United Arab Emirates - White House.gov

Seems fairly easy to follow but I'm sure they probably served savory nibbles, too.

edit on 13/10/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The cost of going, living, mining, refining, returning home

You probably won't start making money for a decade or more.

There are trillions of trillions to be made. Whoever ends up being the dominate players on this first step to the moon. Could end up ruling the solar system.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   

A simple yes or no is all. Could it or could it not be possible?

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   

A simple yes or no is all. Could it or could it not be possible?

Yes.

But likely, probably not as.

But this is off-topic to this thread.
edit on 13/10/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Well the thread was about a deal between some countries to respect each other's rights to harvest and have bases on the moon. I brought up the peace deal as the UAE among those other nations isn't exactly a space faring nation like the rest. So it seemed odd to me they would be included out of all the Arab nations. Like why not SA right? Then I remembered that deal with Israel and went hmmmm...I wonder.

Hope that explains why I am posting with that angle in mind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join