It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cattleman bites the dust!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Work on the ranch is hard, and it doesn't let up. I'm not really a weeny, when it comes to work, but a while back I hurt my shoulder.

Last week I had to go for an MRI on my shoulder and the news was not good. I have a torn rotator cuff, and two torn other tendons in my right shoulder.

I've been nursing this shoulder for a couple months (maybe 5-6 months) hoping it would get better, but it hasn't. It first started when I jumped over corral panel, getting out of the way of a wild bull, and fell on my right arm and shoulder. It hurt, but I dealt with it. Then, last winter, I tripped and fell coming down from the barn and landed on my right arm. The last straw was pulling a stupid weed whacker pull-cord.

My shoulder is a mess now.

Likely need surgery for a torn rotator cuff and two torn tendons. So I'm going to be out of service for at least 6 weeks in a sling...can't even drive for a month...and have to do no "work" on the shoulder for 4 months!

I'm SCREWED!!!

DAMMIT!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Prepare to not be able to do much with that shoulder for several months. My brother had work done on his and it healed well but it took a long time. The shoulder is not a stable joint by any means and needs a lot of careful rehab.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Sorry to hear that.

Lot of people out of work. You should be able to find some help.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Two years before you're back to normal. Trust me on this. Older you get the longer it takes. Hey, you've got a wife, don't you?

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Sorry to hear that mate, did mine last year playing footy (aussie rules football) and it's still not right either although I probably shouldn't of split over a square meter of firewood the next day.....

Ironically though I can still go to the gym, split firewood, wrestle, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu etc. with no problem but can't throw a ball.

I just gave it the old Aussie attitude of "she'll be right" but it hasn't healed up and I probably need surgery too.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Shoulders...sorry mate. Its a lesson in patience.

Do yourself a favor wallow early, eat a couple comfort meals, have a drink...but lay off and take up long, fast paced walking and STAY OUT of the kitchen...mark my words...took me even longer to lose the extra 50lbs I gained.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
....I can't rope anymore (right now).

Swinging a rope over my head is like agony!

It's my right shoulder too, so it really sucks!

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Had the same thing, couldn't lift my arm above my head without wincing and swearing.

If we didn't live in the twilight zone I'd offer to come work for you for food, board and beer just for the experience of working on a US ranch!

Although there would be the logistical consideration of my day job.....
edit on 13102020 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

You'll be off duty for few months. Time to write a book. Use the left hand to write it.

If shoulder not healing and book sucks, you'll become ambidextrous anyway. It's a win-win for you.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

If we didn't live in the twilight zone I'd offer to come work for you for food, board and beer just for the experience of working on a US ranch!

Although there would be the logistical consideration of my day job.....

Same thing I thought, though my herding experience is mostly limited to working animals on the steppes of Outer Mongolia on the back of half-broke Mongol ponies. I think we did things a bit differently then and there.

Plus, my right shoulder is giving me fits lately; not as bad as Flyingclaydisk's, but enough to make sleeping a chore sometimes.

As an old fellow I used to know in South Louisiana was wont to say, Gettin' old ain't so bad, it's just damned inconvenient.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Brother FCD? What the he--?

You aren't super rancher, chef, critter tender, husband and the ninety nine other things you got goin out your way!

Comes time to slow down some-son...or life will for you. Believe it...the wife n things important day to day can be overlooked over time. Don't.

The "stop and smell the roses" thing? This is it for ya! Take care of you n things 1st....it's important.

Best to Ms. FCD...will check on your med prog...Best, M.S./H.D.T.

*P.S. and follow all dr's, rehab orders!
edit on 13-10-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

What! Visiting the steppe is on my bucket list though I'd much rather go to the real Mongolia than the Chinese province! That must have been incredible.

I've got no real experience doing any type of farm work but I work hard as hell and am strong as an ox. I figure if I can bust my a** for 5 years in a hardwood sawmill doing manual labour there's not a heap I can't put up with.

Ironically I now work an Account Management job getting paid a lot to do a little from home though (apart from the gym closures) I still maintain a good level of physical fitness.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
That sucks. My dad was a big college wrestler and has the problem on both sides.
2 surgeries so far. Now he is doing experimental stem cell treatment at Mayo.
Not fun.
edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I did physical therapy on my shoulder, had an impingement so bad I lost feeling in my right hand.

Eventually I'll have to have surgery but physical therapy did forestall the inevitable.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Sorry to hear this Hun! Time to slow down and heal up.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The wife went through this surgery on her shoulder last year. The saving grace was a device called a polar pack. It keeps the shoulder cold and relieves the pain. We loaded it with frozen bottles of water that were refrozen over and over.

Good luck buddy.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

What! Visiting the steppe is on my bucket list though I'd much rather go to the real Mongolia than the Chinese province! That must have been incredible.

I've got no real experience doing any type of farm work but I work hard as hell and am strong as an ox. I figure if I can bust my a** for 5 years in a hardwood sawmill doing manual labour there's not a heap I can't put up with.

Ironically I now work an Account Management job getting paid a lot to do a little from home though (apart from the gym closures) I still maintain a good level of physical fitness.

It was an adventure and I miss it. We lived in a nomad community. Spent a couple of summers in tents. Built a log house in a valley where we wintered.

Don't bother with Inner Mongolia (under PRC rule). If you ever get the chance, fly into Ulaanbaatar. It's a wonderful place. If it's any Central Asian steppes, though, there are other countries west of there that are equally as fascinating, though I'd recommend Mongolia at the top of the list.
:
edit on 2020 10 13 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Wow. The cattle still needs to be fed, it is going to be rough. I know people who had that surgery and it takes about three months before some got back to normal to do their job. After a month, the ones who worked in offices and stores had no problem working. Two guys who worked construction or worked in a warehouse did the surgery in November, after deer season of course, because they could go on unemployment and did not have to work. It is hard to blow or shovel snow after the surgery too, that is what most told me.

Strange that I know at least six people who had that happen in the last ten years. I tore my socket a little two years ago making firewood, but it was not too bad of an injury, but I got a super big bruise in the area. I just took it easy for three months and it reattached, I could feel something loose in the joint, it was pretty painful. I thought of going to the doctor, but I have done that twice before, and the first time I did go to the doctor and he did x-rays and said if I don't use it for a couple of weeks it will reattach itself and it did so I did not have to go for surgery. It didn't heal good though, I was laying on the couch this last winter and reached back to get my coffee cup and it cracked again.....damn, getting old sucks.

It sounds like Yours is a lot worse than mine was. I don't remember what it was called, I think mine may have been called a rotator cup tear but not sure, the first time it happened was maybe forty five years ago. I got that one from swinging on a tree trying to impress a girl. I didn't impress her much when she saw I threw out my shoulder showing off.

Get better quick, your animals need you.
edit on 13-10-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

It was an adventure and I miss it. We lived in a nomad community. Spent a couple of summers in tents. Built a log house in a valley where we wintered.

Don't bother with Inner Mongolia (under PRC rule). If you ever get the chance, fly into Ulaanbaatar. It's a wonderful place. If it's any Central Asian steppes, though, there are other countries west of there that are equally as fascinating, though I'd recommend Mongolia at the top of the list.
:

Oh for sure, I would absolutely avoid the peoples republic and go to Mongolia itself.

That sounds like such an incredible experience, I'd like one day to do the silk road and see central Asia. Some of the stans are of parcular interest ie; Tajikistan and the Pamir mountains.

I am also a novice throat singer and would like some pro tips!

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   

The last straw was pulling a stupid weed whacker pull-cord.

I laughed at this, and then didn't laugh.
I think we have the same one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join