It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Dude” films mountain lion for 6 minutes as it try to scare him off or possibly eat him

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: quix0tic
A paintball or BB gun would've done the trick.

Lol with a quote like that you must have been a city kid.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

With rocks to throw all around him and to frightened to pick one up and throw it at him.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: projectvxn
I never go into the woods without a firearm. It's dumb.

If you live anywhere that mountain lions live you might run into them. It's a better chance than even coyotes in some places.

Don't be dumb. Bring a side arm with you or you'll be lunch.

Cougars and/or Coyotes won't attack humans unless you provoke them and they have no choice.

Be aware of your surroundings...

If you're so scared to go into the woods...maybe you should just stay home...

What? Your partially right about coyotes but cougars will attack unprovoked if they think they can make a meal out of you. They stalk humans quite often and while attacks are rare, they will attack unprovoked.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

He said everytime he looked away or bent over to pick up a rock, she charged him.

She just walked him back as long as he slowly walked backwards and kept his height.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I wonder if a short faked charge in return would have done much? You know, hands above head screaming short charge?
I guess it's a pretty serious 50/50 risk to be taking, was just wondering... 🤔

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
I wonder if a short faked charge in return would have done much? You know, hands above head screaming short charge?

That or going full auto with your paintball gun.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
I didn't report it. Cops will kill Winnie the Pooh.
(B)ears (L)ives (M)atter.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: FinallyAwake

That or going full auto with your paintball gun.

I prefer the full auto paint gun option tbh

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

It’s all in the eyes and mouth.

My fear mechanism is virtually becoming a rabid dog.

A little something like this

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Hahaha! Dude says he's big and scary then GET AWAY, get away!

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

You don't "point and spray" with a shotgun. Like any other firearm you need to aim it. There's an additional learning curve and you must learn to reasonably estimate pattern dispersal at various distances in order to not be a liability with a shotgun.

I can draw, point, and shoot in 0.73s consistently in ideal conditions. 0.92s consistently under physical stress after threat recognition. This is years of training at work.

It takes just over 2 seconds for the average person to do the same with minimal training. In the situation in that video an openly carried pistol could have easily be drawn, pointed, and fired within that time window.

Of course, in the case of the video, picking up a rock and tossing it was enough.
edit on 10 13 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

I'm not scared of anything because I am prepared and prudent.

Coyotes can and do attack people. Mountain lions will attack people as well. "Provoking" can be any number of things. Like a harsh winter and hungry predators.

I had to kill a coyote who attacked and employee in the parking lot of a production facility I was security director of. The surveillance video showed her walking to the car. It was a lucky thing that I was nearby dealing with another issue.

Every year I hear of a hiker or two getting attacked or early attacked by mountain lions in the Sierra Nevada's. This isn't nearly as rare as you think it is.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Yesterday a bear was spotted in my area. Today, at 4am I saw all trash cans around my home spilled. It was still dark and my car was 2 blocks away.

Now you had to post that scary video. Thanks man.

No problem, I got you. Did you see this from last week? Mwahahahaha

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: quix0tic
A paintball or BB gun would've done the trick.

True. Because lots of folks go hiking with a paintball gun.

I carry my harmonica when I go to the forest. I heard playing music instruments confuse wild animals.

I tested with my dog. He left the room. My wife instead, was cursing and throwing her flip flops to me.

So I think my chances are 50/50.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

He is lucky he was not mauled or worse, still it did make me wonder what he has in his pack.

Now joking aside.

According to Wiki there is about 12 to 13 attacks on people on average over the last one hundred years in North America, only 27 recorded fatality's in that period however how many of your people disappear every year without ever being seen again?.

So a little over two (confirmed and on average) people a year for the past one hundred years have died from fatal cougar attack's.

That mean's you are more likely to be run over by a car but then you are also more likely to be run over than actually see a cougar so that analogy is misleading, if more encounters occur more fatality's will as well.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Yeah right he is big and scary...more like big and dumb.
A walking,talking,juicy piece of meat.You are just begging
to be attacked and eaten going into the wilderness unarmed,
unprepared and unaware. Bears are getting ready for winter
as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Sure, yearly fatalities are low. I posted the other day about Australian fatal shark attacks, they have had 7 this year with a yearly average of 1-2. Whereas we used to be vicious and wipe out species without a second thought we now protect them and their prey then we walk or swim unarmed and unaware into their Habitats without thinking we will be next. You are always next. Hahaha.

I think India unfortunately is a great example of human encroachment on wild areas.

India / human / large wildlife fatalities 2017

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Pretty unusual to see a cat out in the open like this. As I've noted here previously, I was stalked big time by a very large cougar several years back while elk hunting. Pretty scary experience, especially considering I never even saw the cat, but he was within several feet of me on several occasions. I had walked into a perfect trap without realizing it (i.e. heavy snow, steep uphill escape and heavy timber. It was the perfect place to trap a nice meal. The fear that comes over you when you suddenly realize the situation is pretty intense. That, and the hunter becoming the hunted. Not something I care to repeat.

But as I noted, it's pretty unusual to see a cat out in the open like this. She was clearly defending her territory, and I don't think she was hunting. She probably would have struck if the opportunity presented itself, but more to inflict harm than for food. She was pissed.

I thought the end of the video was pretty interesting. Whatever he did right at the end spooked her pretty good. Looked like he bent over or stumbled or something, and she bolted.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Whatever he did right at the end spooked her pretty good. Looked like he bent over or stumbled or something, and she bolted.

Pretty sure he tossed a large rock, take a look to the left of the cat, it looks like a cloud of dust was kicked up.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: quix0tic

one of those rocks on the side of the trail would have done the trick. Hitting a cougar with a rock would appear supernatural to it. A second one would certainly get its attention.

One thing wildlife doesn't do is risk.

Mountain lion are vermin by most state guidelines. Like coyotes, a "kill on site" mentality is generally taken. Im not a fan of that mindset...but with a mountain lion, typically if you see it, its hunting you. In this case, its protecting its young, and is willing to do anything, including death, to maintain that protection.

I agree with everyone else: you NEVER go hiking without a side arm. Laws be damned.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join