It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venice Beach California 12buck beers and all the homeless people that you want to see

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Venice Beach is what it is on purpose.

And it’s a tourist draw.

Weekends are packed with people.

I think you're right on. Venice is what it is by design. I've heard there are far more tourists in Venice than residents at any one time... and that many (perhaps most) homes are actually owned by investors for rentals, like Air BnB. Also celebrities that like having a "beach house" to go to for the weekend, but no real personal stake in the community. Likewise, for a long while, Cali was literally courting Chinese buyers over residents. There just aren't enough resident homeowners to fight back. They are outnumbered.... and out-gentrified. Although it seems prices are dropping like rocks. As high as they are, just a couple years ago there was nothing in Venice for less than $1 million. A good friend of mine became a multi-millionaire overnight when his mother passed and left him the house. Just a couple blocks from Penmar Golf Course in the video.

After the Marina was built, I think Los Angeles wanted to turn all of Venice into a money-streaming tourist trap, and did. They wanted and expected the tourism to subsidize their bloated budgets.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

It is, but the problem now is that California's other problems can't be kept out of tourist land.

Haven't you noticed that about most places that make their money off tourists?

They have tourist land ... and everyone else land, and never the two shall meet. The reality is far different than the glitzy, sleek image the tourist land presents to the rest of the world, and that facade has to be maintained. Now sometimes reality is just an average sort of place like most everywhere else, but sometimes it's a crumbling third world sort of place like you might see in some places in Mexico or the Caribbean or other parts of the world ... or these days in California.

For places like the latter, they know their tourist revenue depends, absolutely depends, on keeping that wall of separation, and it's generally strictly maintained. But California hasn't been successful at it lately. The tents, the encampments, the filth (poop) and needles ... it has been spilling over into tourist land.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Aw, c'mon Ket, stepping in the poop is part of the California experience now!

💩

Cheers

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It is, but the problem now is that California's other problems can't be kept out of tourist land.

Yup. You are right on as well. Cali/LA saw the dollar signs dancing in their heads and went gaga... all those tourist dollars were supposed to be the cure all.

They knew/know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Venice Beach is what it is on purpose.

And it’s a tourist draw.

Weekends are packed with people.

I think you're right on. Venice is what it is by design. I've heard there are far more tourists in Venice than residents at any one time... and that many (perhaps most) homes are actually owned by investors for rentals, like Air BnB. Also celebrities that like having a "beach house" to go to for the weekend, but no real personal stake in the community. Likewise, for a long while, Cali was literally courting Chinese buyers over residents. There just aren't enough resident homeowners to fight back. They are outnumbered.... and out-gentrified. Although it seems prices are dropping like rocks. As high as they are, just a couple years ago there was nothing in Venice for less than $1 million. A good friend of mine became a multi-millionaire overnight when his mother passed and left him the house. Just a couple blocks from Penmar Golf Course in the video.

After the Marina was built, I think Los Angeles wanted to turn all of Venice into a money-streaming tourist trap, and did. They wanted and expected the tourism to subsidize their bloated budgets.

I’m born and bred in the area.

You pretty much nailed it. Venice Beach is by design.

Air BnB’s are a problem — probably everywhere. They prevent/interfere with building a community. You know “Community Pride” — long term investment in your neighborhood.

I dunno about bloated budget — anymore than any other high density living area. It does seem to have a lot of laws/restrictions, but I don’t have comparisons.

The concept some people have of CA is just bizarre.

It’s highly agricultural. “Agriculture is a significant sector in California's economy, producing nearly $50 billion in revenue in 2018. There are more than 400 commodity crops grown across California, including a significant portion of all fruits and nuts for the United States.”

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Venice has had homeless problems for decades, this is what it looks like when you ignore the problem.

I lived in LA for a lot of years and used to hang in Venice, Santa Monica, Malibu and Zuma. Spent 3 months living out my van at Sunset beach (when you could camp there overnight). There were lots of homeless then, I can’t imagine what it’s like now. I have no interest in going back although I really miss the ocean but LA has become a even worse cesspool then what it was.

I have a good friend there and he’s about done with it. He had a homeless lady last week that was trashing cars in his complexes parking area, called cops, pointed her out to them and they did absolutely nothing, didn’t even make contact with her. He was pissed but what do you do? He said the homeless run the streets all over LA now, they’re everywhere. Sad state of affairs with little to no solutions.

Yeah, the liberal mentality and their policies have killed that city and others. I have family in Seattle that is getting out, they’ve had enough, all for the same reasons as those leaving Cali. Vote Democrat and this is what you’re going to get.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But California hasn't been successful at it lately. The tents, the encampments, the filth (poop) and needles ... it has been spilling over into tourist land.

You don’t think this is everywhere?

Where do you shove your homeless?

Tent cities are highly visible in the Los Angeles area — because there’s limited space to set them up. So, they’ll grab a spot, more and more will come — until it has to be shut down for health reasons.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

The thing is that Cali doesn't exactly ignore the problem. They throw tons of money at it through government. The problem is that no one keeps track of where that money goes, how it's used, or if it actually does any good. They don't even keep track of users in the system.

So the homeless aid industry is big, big bucks out in Cali because it's a giant sucking black hole of government grants where no one has to actually show any benefit or provide any cost/benefit analysis ... nothing. They don't even know how much of it is money spent on things like EMT services for the homeless (which is actually labeled as EMT costs, not direct homeless aid) as opposed to sheltering the homeless or other similar programs.

Most states that are successful at handling their homeless problems and managing them one degree or other track the money in the system and track the homeless in the system too, so they know. They don't even have any real idea how many homeless there are in California at all.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

But California hasn't been successful at it lately. The tents, the encampments, the filth (poop) and needles ... it has been spilling over into tourist land.

You don’t think this is everywhere?

Where do you shove your homeless?

Tent cities are highly visible in the Los Angeles area — because there’s limited space to set them up. So, they’ll grab a spot, more and more will come — until it has to be shut down for health reasons.

Tent cities are highly visible because it's called "urban camping" and allowed instead of broken up by law enforcement before it becomes a veritable shanty town like you see on the flanks of Rio.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The "bums" go where the NOT "bums" are. Easier to panhandle

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

See my reply to mtnshredder for you answer.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Homelessness is nationwide. And getting worse.

Coastal areas, with moderate year ‘round climate, lends itself to homeless being more visible.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I’m born and bred in the area.

LOL -- me too. The "belly of the beast" I call it...

Somehow it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find our paths have crossed in the past

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Because of expenditures, the state is broke.. California owes more than it has in assets. that alone is a huge problem but it doesnt stop there. California only has $114 billion of assets available to pay bills totaling $388.9 billion. Then there is the tax burden on each citizen the way it stands now every tax payer in the state would need to send California $21,100. With the flight that is going on in California, this number is going to increase.

www.data-z.org...

Then what do they do make a new budget and they make it worse!!

calmatters.org...
edit on 10/13/20 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

See my reply to mtnshredder for you answer.

That’s true.

But, the biggest issue is health/sanitation.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Haven't you noticed that about most places that make their money off tourists?

They have tourist land ... and everyone else land, and never the two shall meet. The reality is far different than the glitzy, sleek image the tourist land presents to the rest of the world, and that facade has to be maintained. Now sometimes reality is just an average sort of place like most everywhere else, but sometimes it's a crumbling third world sort of place like you might see in some places in Mexico or the Caribbean or other parts of the world ... or these days in California.

For places like the latter, they know their tourist revenue depends, absolutely depends, on keeping that wall of separation, and it's generally strictly maintained. But California hasn't been successful at it lately. The tents, the encampments, the filth (poop) and needles ... it has been spilling over into tourist land.

Sounds like Las Vegas. The Strip is glitzy and well-kept, but get off the Strip and it gets seedy pretty quickly. All the middle-class people seem to live in nearby Henderson, NV.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i lived by venice about 10 years ago.
i went to see a movie at santa monica pier.

as im walking back, there were, then DOZENS of homeless creeps sleeping and hanging out, alongside the corners of the mall pathway.

now im a former bouncer, im a big guy.
but you cannot fight 50 guys.

i remember thinking, how dangerous this way, because you were basically surrounded on a pier on both sides, and potentially front and behind, and no where to go sideways, so to speak.

the problem is, homeless scum are drug and alcohol addicted.
its not the fact they are homeless, its the fact they are mean and crazy.

i talk to them in nyc, and tell them get their act together, and you just see it in their eyes. when some jack is stupid enough to engage me in conversation. i tell them, go to wellfare and ask them to get your an apartment and get a basic job, and you will be fine. or i tell them, call your family. they ALWAYS have excuses, crazy insane, extraordinary excuses.

they put homeless in shelters, and the first thing the scum do is start robbing and attacking the OTHER homeless.

there in lies the problem.

these people do not need homes per se.
they need deep down psychological training on how to live a normal life, and they need constant training until they are fit to live normally free of crime.

i do not know how they can do this, because even if you had asylums, they need cool asylums where the doctors actually wanted to help them, not just sh!t them out like a number.

so in reality, the problem lies with their families.

a friend of mine, got into a fight in nyc. he is a functioning alcoholic addict. now there was no reason to ask him who started the fight, we will never get a straight answer. he got a concussion, and for 80 days or so, just bitched and cried on this guys couch, never leaving the house. my friend was soooooo lucky this guy dealt with this crybaby nonsense.

i went over there, to try and snap him out of it, dude was completely dilusional.

if my alcoholic friend had been kicked out, he would have been one of these homeless creeps, because he was not making sense. and he would have gotten worse and worse and worse.

it sucks, the problem is not homelessness, the problem is psychological.

if i was homeless, i would be for MAX 1 hour. i would call friends till someone agreed to let me crash on a couch. then i would go get a job at target, work my way back to new apartment in 30 days or less.

thats how normal people think.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

The thing is that Cali doesn't exactly ignore the problem. They throw tons of money at it through government. The problem is that no one keeps track of where that money goes, how it's used, or if it actually does any good. They don't even keep track of users in the system.

So the homeless aid industry is big, big bucks out in Cali because it's a giant sucking black hole of government grants where no one has to actually show any benefit or provide any cost/benefit analysis ... nothing. They don't even know how much of it is money spent on things like EMT services for the homeless (which is actually labeled as EMT costs, not direct homeless aid) as opposed to sheltering the homeless or other similar programs.

Most states that are successful at handling their homeless problems and managing them one degree or other track the money in the system and track the homeless in the system too, so they know. They don't even have any real idea how many homeless there are in California at all.

Yes they throw money at it, so they say, but the people themselves are being ignored and are not receiving the help in the critical aspects of their lives where it’s most needed. It’s a conundrum to say the least and only going to get worse.

At Christmas and Thanksgiving I used to volunteer occasionally at the mission downtown at 5th and LA St. The feeling of getting to go home to a nice condo when I was finished was always full of mixed emotions, gratitude and humbleness was at the top of the list.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Homelessness is nationwide. And getting worse.

Coastal areas, with moderate year ‘round climate, lends itself to homeless being more visible.

Yes it is. 🙁

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

I’m going to say homelessness has multiple reasons.

Of course, there are those with psychological issues — but, not all of them.

There are whole family’s on the streets.

Getting help is not as easy as some think.

<< 1    3 >>

join