It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does wealth mean to you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
For me at my age a healthy diet good body functions and mental alertness that l will be able to comprehend between right and what is wrong.

There's a saying in this country here when you're old you must have money.
Without money you become a nobody just like homeless person on the beach of Venice California.

Wealthy is like getting up on the two feet in the morning being able to eat breakfast breathe the fresh morning air and go for a walk and just say I'm alive.
edit on 1000000041082020-10-12T23:08:41-05:00084110pm11 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yes, indeed, health is wealth.

My younger brother, bless his heart, is living in a retirement community at the age of 50. He has been there for about a year after an extreme MS attack. Apparently, he is unable to control bodily functions at certain times. When I talk with him on the phone, I can hear he is slow to form sentences and grasps at words. It is heartbreaking.

All the more to be thankful, as you say, for being able to get out of bed in the morning, walk, enjoy nature, garden, for me, cook, clean house, and enjoy the company of my husband. Simple but good, maybe.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

" What is grand is Necessarily
obscure to weak men . That
which can be made Explicit to
the Idiot is not worth my care "

- William Blake

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I feel wealthy if we have money left over from the budget in a month. I feel wealthy if we have good nutritious home made food to eat when I am hungry.....that reminds me, a friend of mine told me tonight to come get some leaks tomorrow, he has about fifty left in the garden. He has given out a lot already, so I can get about twenty of them if I want. Boy will I be wealthy tomorrow. I hope that he didn't mean he took fifty leaks in his garden.
edit on 12-10-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
wealth to me is freedom and time.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
wealth to me is freedom and time.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

When I realize after all my expenses, investments, and savings are all taken care of at the month end, and I can splurge on my hobbies. Which just so happens to be mostly cooking, so it's not really an expense. But as the older I get, health becomes true wealth, you can't make money if you're dead or bed ridden.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Relationships and friends, have it all when I have people who love and care

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlissSeeker
Yes, indeed, health is wealth.

My younger brother, bless his heart, is living in a retirement community at the age of 50. He has been there for about a year after an extreme MS attack. Apparently, he is unable to control bodily functions at certain times. When I talk with him on the phone, I can hear he is slow to form sentences and grasps at words. It is heartbreaking.

All the more to be thankful, as you say, for being able to get out of bed in the morning, walk, enjoy nature, garden, for me, cook, clean house, and enjoy the company of my husband. Simple but good, maybe.

Such graceful and thankful words that can only touch everyone's heart with purity of mankind at its fullest in the time of kindness and sharing and caring.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Health and wellness above all is wealthy. Being able to get out and do things.
If everything is going well for my kids there is a certain amount of wealth in that.
There is a certain amount of wealth in nature and in animals.

I like having tools to do everything. To me there is a certain amount of power in that. If the power fails I have 2 generators that I can save the goods in the freezer with. They're not the best in the world, in fact they will barely save the food in the freezers and run a light bulb or two but its quite far ahead of the homeless on the street.
I can saw anything, screw it, nail it, bolt it, raise it, lower it, bend it, brake it, drill it, grind it, heat it, weld it, mix it, haul it and on and on it goes. Long as you have tools you can do a lot. Thats wealth!

To never need to punch someones clock again would be extremely wealthy.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
But my over seas friend.... do you still have enough money for ramen? Ramen is the answer. Ramen is always the answer.

Go to your 5 favorite ramen shops for me and ask them how they make their tare. Thanx in advance. I have been waiting you to do ramen research for me for years..... lol
edit on 13-10-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It is all relative.

As I get older, I realize my freedom and time are worth more to me than money. I also appreciate having a good wife and two beautiful kids. Everyone is reasonably healthy.

While we certainly would love more money, the reality is we don't need any (knock on wood).

I no longer crave a lot of useless luxury goods like cars and the like. Just want a simple life and to be able to enjoy the natural beauty around me.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Good question. Wealth, for me, is having enough money that the stress goes away with regards to paying bills on time and not having to balance paying for one thing over another.

But it is a good point that you add in health. I have always been extremely healthy, took it for granted actually and shouldn't.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
To me wealth is contentment and a stress free life (as much as possible) I lost my dear wife 3 years ago to type 1 diabetes and COPD, she was 57 yrs old, I became disabled in 2014 due to degenerative disk disease and psoriatic and ostio arthritis and diabeties and other issues, had several surgeries on my neck and lower back, my wife was 29 years at her last job as a counselor at a facility for developmentaly disabled children and I was there for 23 years as a maintenance tech, she was only 5 foot 1 and 110 lbs and her little body just couldn't take it anymore and she became disabled in 2008

this disability condition cost us both our retirement funds and two good sized inheritance's from our late parent's, that with medical insurance, her insulin pump and supplies plus the surgery co-pays cleaned us out, we had to give our house back to the bank (deed in lieu of forclosure) we had no credit card debt and the cars were paid off, we finally ended up in a town about of about 15,000 people, a very nice peacful place into a small apartment

through all this we had each other and our love was strong and we felt blessed that thing's weren't worse cause there is always someone worse off then oneself, we felt we could get through anything as long as we were together, then she died
in 2017, one minute she was there and 5 minutes later she was gone. it's been rough (emotionaly) but I am so greatful and blessed to have had the time we had together

so to me wealth is a solid relationship, the beauty and love in a difficult world, the joy of overcoming anger and negitive feelings, and hatered, and having a Cat helps a lot, thank's to a long working life we had enough Social Security point's to get full disabilty benefits (that is money taken out of every pay check we ever got) no relationship is perfect we had our up's and down's

there is beauty in the world if you look for it, we worked hard but didn't put money over being content, It's autumn here in Minnesota and the leaves are so colorful and Halloween was our favorite holiday, carving pumpkin's and driving around looking at fall colors, so anyway long winded speech is over! each to their own, live and let live
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I feel wealthy if we have money left over from the budget in a month. I feel wealthy if we have good nutritious home made food to eat when I am hungry.....

Ditto. Most other 30-somethings look at me like I done lost my mind saying it, but it's the truth. I'd also like to expand on it a tad, and echo **Strong below you -- wealth is being able to live safely and eat healthfully (at least moderately) and have enough time to yourself to immerse yourself in a treasured hobby. ONE hobby, not a dozen, not everything under the sun, a single hobby that means the world to you above all possible others. If you can tick the boxes for all of the above, you're doing pretty good, IMO.

Fresh food prices in many areas are ridiculous, though. It pisses me off that a cheap pack of cookies are cheaper than an equal number of fruit servings, it SHOULD be the other way around if you want the convenience shortcut foods. If you were to go shopping where I came up from, Rick, you'd be aghast at the prices. It's much more affordable to accomplish the healthy food part of the wealth equation up here.
edit on 10/13/2020 by Nyiah because: **Gave a nod to the wrong poster

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
As others state money means nothing without your health to go with it

A few times over the last 3 years i thought i was going to die after my heart started playing up , i struggle to find words most days now and that will get worse , Dementia makes you cranky !

All the money and possessions in the world mean nothing

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: rickymouse
I feel wealthy if we have money left over from the budget in a month. I feel wealthy if we have good nutritious home made food to eat when I am hungry.....

Ditto. Most other 30-somethings look at me like I done lost my mind saying it, but it's the truth. I'd also like to expand on it a tad, and echo **Strong below you -- wealth is being able to live safely and eat healthfully (at least moderately) and have enough time to yourself to immerse yourself in a treasured hobby. ONE hobby, not a dozen, not everything under the sun, a single hobby that means the world to you above all possible others. If you can tick the boxes for all of the above, you're doing pretty good, IMO.

Fresh food prices in many areas are ridiculous, though. It pisses me off that a cheap pack of cookies are cheaper than an equal number of fruit servings, it SHOULD be the other way around if you want the convenience shortcut foods. If you were to go shopping where I came up from, Rick, you'd be aghast at the prices. It's much more affordable to accomplish the healthy food part of the wealth equation up here.

We went shopping the last couple of days and spent about sixty bucks and got a lot of good sale stuff, Chicken breasts and country style spare ribs for a buck a pound, potatoes two fifty for ten pounds, Three pkgs of good bacon for our fussy blind cat at two ninety nine a twelve ounce pkg. Some weeks we spend more on food for the cats and the deer than we spend on our own food. We won't get more than five slices of bacon out of that three packages of bacon, the cat is addicted. Out of twenty pounds of potatoes, we might use three pounds or so for ourselves, the two does and one young one usually eat about ten pounds of potatoes and three pounds of carrots a week, and also about five or six homemade organic rolls a week, plus they do love them apples.

I suppose feeling wealthy is also being able to have money to feed our hoofed friends outside and spoil the cats. But, cat food, treats, and bacon along with the deer food is figured in our budget since we have been doing it so long. Deer love cinnamon toast with real butter too.
Wifi and piper are our cats.
edit on 13-10-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I met a Zen Buddhist master in the 1990s who had spoken to an elite crowd. This person's final message to the elite: "Be wealthy, don't be rich."

I am neither. But I hope some of the audience pondered it well.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Time I guess, since money can buy it, but sadly no refund.

top topics

join