It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africa's Great Civilizations

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Hi guys the following is a series of documentaries , which is a four part series , fused together by the uploader Ancient History Nerd on YouTube I suggest if you are into ancient civilization stuff, take a peek at some of the great stuff he compiled, his contents is not original like say Generals and Kings , (really great btw) but what he does is get docs from mainstream scholars (hope this is not a bad word) and put them in easy one shop access.

What I'm about to post is about 2yrs old, first shown on PBS, which unfortunately I couldn't access in Japan...boo 👎 I could only get chopped up clips of it on YouTube, as the whole docs, we're not available.
In these presentations Skip Gates, will take you from PreHistory to history
Including
Ancient Egypt
Kush
Axum
The Berber kingdoms
Empire building in West Africa starting with Wagadu aka Ghana, which have a long history of development , building stone cities, contemporaries of Egypt and Kush in East Africa and Sumer and Akkad in Mesopotamia.
South to the civilizations of the forest kingdoms and further south to Zimbabwe etc,
I don't expect you to view it all in one setting but it something you can come back to.

Pt 1

Pt2
Both are over 2:30:00 min
I don't expect to get a lot of response because of the length of time it takes to view the vids but I want ancient history enthusiasts to enjoy it...

Wagadu whose cities goes back to 2600 B.C
Became really high by 1500 B.C

our
Men in what looks like dunce caps on the wall, are actually being executed, Pows and Enemy generals usually.

Eye witness of what Dahomey looked like, a kingdom born out of violence, oppressed by the Oyo horsemen, they in turn became one of the largest slaving empires in Africa .

edit on 10-10-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/10/2020 by bigfatfurrytexan because: Fixed Youtube tags per request of member

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Random pics of Dahomey before and after the destruction of their cities by this guy Alfred A Dodds a French General of Senegalese and European mixed heritage, was given overall command of allied forces later in China during the Boxer Rebellion.
edit on 10-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Victim of auto correct.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 03:23 AM
link   

edit on 10-10-2020 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 03:50 AM
link   

King Gezo a master en-slaver he could've ended the institution if he choose to still the dapper dresser tho

edit on 10-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Because Amazon IPad auto correct Sucks.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Unlike the fictional Dora Milaje below, from the Black Panther, which was the inspiration for them, the above was very very real and terrifying to encounter, like the Japanese Samurais of roughly the same era, they were allowed to execute anyone immediately, who disrespected them in the slightest, which could range from not looking away or dropping to your knees as they past you by

edit on 10-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Because Amazon IPad auto correct Sucks.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Yes that's a building.

Views of Kush ..That's it folks

edit on 10-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
A great idea for a thread.

Ancient Egypt tends to steal the lime light from other ancient African civilizations.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
A great idea for a thread.

Ancient Egypt tends to steal the lime light from other ancient African civilizations.

Yes it does, but it's time to look further afield hope you have some down time to enjoy the docs...

edit on 10-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Add content

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Nice. Thanks for bringing this to the table for us.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Nice. Thanks for bringing this to the table for us.

You're welcome sir, I love this stuff..

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Oh Btw my Amazon IPad do not allow me to imbed vids on ATS , the function simply does not showup.. so if anyone out there can do Me a solid much love.😉

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Awesome. i love this stuff. i'm going to watch all of this.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It's amazing how some what unknown and disconnected Africa was. All that was known outside of Africa was to the west it was rich and gold, and to the south of Egypt was also... rich in gold. It was always seen as this far off land ripe for the taking. When the Arabs and Portuguese decided to venture deep into the Sahara and even further to sub - Sahara, they met people and entire kingdoms that had absolutely zero idea what Abrahamic religions were. And therefore could not be 'enslaved' so it was a race to convert them. This happened to the Kongo, which was arguably the first colonized place in Africa by a European nation with the establishment of Sao Tome.

Also such a shame so much history was basically erased, forgotten, the Nubian pyramids are an example of that.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
It's amazing how some what unknown and disconnected Africa was. All that was known outside of Africa was to the west it was rich and gold, and to the south of Egypt was also... rich in gold. It was always seen as this far off land ripe for the taking. When the Arabs and Portuguese decided to venture deep into the Sahara and even further to sub - Sahara, they met people and entire kingdoms that had absolutely zero idea what Abrahamic religions were. And therefore could not be 'enslaved' so it was a race to convert them. This happened to the Kongo, which was arguably the first colonized place in Africa by a European nation with the establishment of Sao Tome.

Also such a shame so much history was basically erased, forgotten, the Nubian pyramids are an example of that.

Yes a point I've tried to explain many times over, eg, the Wagadu simply dogwalked the Umayyad invaders so badly that they converted to the local religion for like 200 yrs prior to the later allied Takurer aka Fulani / Almoravid invasion , but to have them aposthsized against Islam , to a decidedly non Abrahamic faith is really stunning and virtually unheard of especially dealing with zealots.
The Franks and Christian Nubians defeated them also , but not with them converting, this was truly a unique case, converting to another Abrahamic religion is stunning enough, but to what is known as paganism??

But Abrahamic religions are like that tho , very Borg like, Resistance Is Futile!! they simply cannot leave people with their own dieties. Even the mighty Romans ultimately succumbed to them. These new converts generally make war amongst themselves, purging the old gods/ Goddess even in the Kingdom of the Kongo, the city elites turned against the country bumpkins with their new faith with gusto.

edit on 10-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Add content.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
Oh Btw my Amazon IPad do not allow me to imbed vids on ATS , the function simply does not showup.. so if anyone out there can do Me a solid much love.😉

I hope you do not mind, but at this request I added the youtube tags to your OP so it would show the vids for you.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Spider879

I hope you do not mind, but at this request I added the youtube tags to your OP so it would show the vids for you.

Man Much love, thank you.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the posts. With all the LIDAR discoveries coming out of Central and South America we can only hope someone does the same in Africa.

Or, rather, shares the results and I imagine someone already beat us to the punch

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: atlantiswatusi
Thanks for the posts. With all the LIDAR discoveries coming out of Central and South America we can only hope someone does the same in Africa.

Or, rather, shares the results and I imagine someone already beat us to the punch

Actually some ground breaking discoveries was made in South Africa using that LIDAR thingy
Archaeologists Have Discovered a Lost Metropolis in South Africa
www.sciencealert.com...

A Tswana city called Kweneng, but yeah especially this tech is needed in the Sahara were I suspect a lot of lost cities beneath the sands.
edit on 12-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Stupid Auto correct.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Nicely compiled post Spider S&F

When in college, I'd taken a course on history of the Atlantic slave trade, spanning arrival in Caribbean/N. America all the way back to Africa. Western Africa had a long history of trade with Egypt/N. African societies, and even some originating in the Middle East. Many different goods were exchanged, but the Kola Nut (kind of a stimulant similar to coffee) was one of the key commodities exchanged in trade networks.

When the Atlantic slave trade started ramping up, the same trade routes and networks that had been established for time immemorial for goods/commodities like kola nuts were repurposed by slave traders to "human traffic" slaves to the Atlantic coast, but also transit slaves back from the coast into Eastern/Northern Africa and the M.East.

Not much is spoken about the /other/ hubs of African slave trade, but a sizable number of slaves were transported to points both North (M. East) and East (Indian Ocean) from West Africa, for use in other industries outside sugar/cotton in the "New World". This fact is often glossed over in such discussions, and focus is on Atlantic/"triangle trade routes", but there were many other destinations for African slaves

The Atlantic slave trade was not the only slave trade from Africa, although it was the largest in volume and intensity. As Elikia M'bokolo wrote in Le Monde diplomatique:

The African continent was bled of its human resources via all possible routes. Across the Sahara, through the Red Sea, from the Indian Ocean ports and across the Atlantic. At least ten centuries of slavery for the benefit of the Muslim countries (from the ninth to the nineteenth) ... Four million enslaved people exported via the Red Sea, another four million[24] through the Swahili ports of the Indian Ocean, perhaps as many as nine million along the trans-Saharan caravan route, and eleven to twenty million (depending on the author) across the Atlantic Ocean.[25]

It's good devote time to the many thriving indigenous cultures of Africa without weaponizing that history and using it as a reproach to others.

edit on 12-10-2020 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened
Thanks for the feed back, it should be about normalisation of the African past, as any other region of the globe, they produced sinners and saints, wise men and fools, heroes and cowards, they innovate and stagnate, because at the end of the day they are what they are... Just Ppl.

top topics

join