It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police/Govt Discrimination Against Me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I was arrested thirteen years ago for two crimes. I received a discharge from the court because I was suffering from mental health based on my involvement in a murder trial. Today, I cannot get security clearances and govt jobs due to this non-conviction record and other non-conviction records on file. I am qualified (got a university degree) but they discriminate against me.

I will be forever poor based on police reports (some which are false) that preclude me from good jobs in my country. I am currently looking into filing for asylum - but I reside in a Western country and consequently, most countries won't take my asylum claim seriously.

Is there anyone that has advice and/or ideas? Has anyone experienced this type of government discrimination?
edit on 8-10-2020 by DrumsRfun because: all caps title doesn't make it more important

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bythesea

What state/province are you in. You can have these things expunged from your record, maybe. It could also be the proximity to a murder case, or the mental wellness issues.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I work in the employment industry.
You will never get a security clearance based on your past.
Even being released for the crimes is irrelevant based on past mental health issues.

You would be considered to much of a risk.

And this is not discrimination.
You are being vetted.

edit on 8-10-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I'd love to know this info too.

My situation isn't as severe but having had mental issues when young I made bad choices in the company I kept and despite never having been charged with anything and a clean record there seems to be a barrier that comes up every time I apply for ID or cross a border. Never ultimately refused but they fuss about, calling upon superiors for advice, then let it go. I've asked and gotten no answers, they say that is private due to security. I can get cleared for work and volunteering through the local police criminal record checks just fine, it's just at the federal level something's up.

Good luck in your search.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

If you dont mind me asking what were the crimes?

That could be a part of it, and also just how the relevance of the mental diagnosis coincided with the acquittal.....

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

If you have mental health issues you can't get a clearance.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Also, now that you've applied for asylum... that probably doesn't look good either.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
2 words
Self Employment.
Move forward, not back.
Your income potential is almost unlimited.

-guy that probably wouldn't pass background check at Mc Donalds, while lawmakers are setting up their children in the gardening positions that the"legal system" previously raped my employment opportunities with forever.

It was almost a blessing, I'm doing great now. Very few employees ever become rich enough to back off the grind and enjoy life.

Good luck, you can do it

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Corr

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Also, now that you've applied for asylum... that probably doesn't look good either.

How does that work?
If someone seeks actual asylum here, do we call their country and tattle?

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I can't find anything official that says so, but I'm guessing say, if this person is in the U.S., and applies for asylum in Canada, the two countries have asylum agreements, so it would likely show up on any background check.

Or if they applied for asylum in another country, they qould be doing background checks on the OP, which could also show up on a deeper security check, so could raise red flags.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Seems you are in Canada. I thought Canada was the best country in the universe where nothing bad happened and everything was free??????

My advice is to buy yourself an expensive attorney to have your record expunged. Research them first and see if they are well connected with your government.
edit on 8-10-2020 by Fools because: ...

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Were you charged...then dis-charged...on medical? Case complete dismissal?

That matters I think...(*not any damn lawyer qualified to respond!)

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I work in the employment industry.
You will never get a security clearance based on your past.
Even being released for the crimes is irrelevant based on past mental health issues.

You would be considered to much of a risk.

And this is not discrimination.
You are being vetted.

That's not true. I got a security clearance in the military, and they knew I was an active member of a group that had been labelled as an "eco-terrorist" group, and had been arrested for felony evasion. All I had to do was renounce my activities with said group, and then show than the felony charges against me were dismissed and expunged.

edit

Also, when I was getting out of the military and going through the separation process they tried to stick me with BS diagnoses of sever anxiety and major depression with suicidal ideations.

I had to argue non-stop that I wasn't suffering from any of that. They finally dropped the BS and instead stuck me with having borderline personality disorder. I argued against that as well. I wasn't able to get them to remove that and it stuck. I was still able to separate with an honorary discharge, but my record still lists BPD.

None of that crap has affected me from getting a carry permit, pass multiple background and security checks, or get my current job.

Figure out whatever you're doing, and figure out what you can do differently. Talk to different people, pay a psychologist to evaluate you and see if you can get something worked out with your mental diagnosis. Talk to your court peeps and see what you need to do to get your records expunged.

I even know of other people who were arrested and convicted of being drug dealers. They did their time, paid their dues and got their rights restored to be able to buy and own guns and vite and whatever else.

So, do something.
edit on 8102020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

If you have mental health issues you can't get a clearance.

This. Security clearances aren't based solely on legal issues. Investigations actually center on your character. If you have a history of "mental illness," that indicates you are unstable. It's difficult to assess whether you are really "cured" in any sense of the term. When might you have a relapse? Given that difficulty, why take the risk? This is not "discrimination" based on race, gender, or religion. It's based on your past behavior, and it is no way illegal. You nay not like it, but the way you are reacting to it here is yet anther indication of risk. You're angry. So no thanks.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yet they allow him to carry a gun???
Strange country. ...
You can’t have the job you want because of your past, but here ya go, have a gun!

edit on 8/10/20 by homerJ because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

The military is a bit different than the rest of the working world.

The op didn't say exact details but I'm guessing felony charges which will remove you from being considered from many jobs.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: homerJ
a reply to: schuyler

Yet they allow him to carry a gun???
Strange country. ...
You can’t have the job you want because of your past, but here ya go, have a gun!

I think you are a bit mixed up. First of all, OP did not say he was in the US. Second, he didn't mention guns and there is indication he has any. Third, in the US a felony conviction, as well as MANY OTHER MINOR ISSUES, precludes you from owning a firearm. For example, if anyone files a protection order against you, justified or not, you cannot possess a gun. In many jurisdictions "red laws" will prevent you from owning guns if you have any kind of mental illness.

So why are you taking off about guns in the US?

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I've gone through a lot more security/background checks since leaving the military. TBI, Federal, you name it. I can still guard mass amounts of money, buy/own firearms, act as security for VIPs, guard nuclear power plants, you name it.

I gave more examples than just my military career. Don't even know why you decided that was worth focusing on. It's not like it's easy to get a security clearance in the military.

I had a friend who was denied a security clearance and his rate upon entry for simply having an ex-girlfriend who was Iranian.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I had mental health issues but they are gone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join