It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PSA Do not wear your Trump hat to the Board of Elections to Vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This was in NE Ohio.

Apparently in the 1980's they passed laws called "Electioneering" laws in many states that prohibit the display of campaign related items like pins, buttons, and even clothing from being worn within 100 feet of polling places. I somewhat knew that this applied to campaigning and people affiliated with campaigns and the people running for offices, but I was not aware this applied to the general public.

Needless to say, I went down to the Board of Elections this morning to vote with my Trump hat on. Waited in line for about 20 minutes, not one person said a word about the hat. I got to the door and the poll worker at the door got real nervous and stuttered and said "can you ta ta ta take your hat off?". I politely told him not a chance and to go pound sand. At this point, I was in the building and waited for another 5 minutes in line to get my ballot, again, nobody said a word to be or gave me a cross look. As I approached the counter and handed over my ID, another poll worker (I assume a supervisor) saw my hat and said "You have to take that off to vote". I said, "Sorry, I'm not taking anything off". He then said "You can go ask the sheriff." I then replied "Not my job, you go get the sheriff". I saw the sheriff outside while I was standing in line. The lady at the counter handed me my ballot and I sat down in a booth and began to read over the ballot. The sheriff then came up to my side and said "You have to take your hat off to vote, it is considered electioneering." I replied, "Excuse me, I'm trying to cast my votes". He replied "You have to take it off." I replied, "So if I was wearing a shirt that said Trump, I would have to take my shirt off too?" He said no, "You would have to leave and change shirts". I said is this a law? He said "Yes". So I took my hat off and sat it next to me and finished voting and scanned my ballot, put my hat back on and walked back to my car.

These laws were passed because of supposed "voter intimidation". What I experienced WAS voter intimidation, IMHO. This seems like it is unconstitutional to me in violation of the 1A. What say you?

Here is the suspect in question.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Sounds to me like voter intimidation and suppression of free speech.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This is from 2018
www.usatoday.com...

You might want to challenge your local officials on this.
edit on 10 6 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

Edit to add:

This may not help your particular case since every state regulates voting place messaging and electioneering. But I have to wonder how far this goes.
edit on 10 6 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I can see the issue. I also can't take it seriously, watching the entire gd media and chatbot ai scamacon valley doing it and then talking to you about your clothing.
Clown world

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This is from 2018
www.usatoday.com...

Edit to add:

This may not help your particular case since every state regulates voting place messaging and electioneering. But I have to wonder how far this goes.

Thanks for that, and trust me, I didn't make their lives easy today. I pushed back until the sheriff intervened, and since I was not totally sure I had the law on my side, I relented. Took off the hat, set it next to me facing out, finished my ballot and left with my hat on.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The issue was Minnesota's law wasn't a 'reasoned application' while other states wouldn't be impacted. I think they'd need to be addressed on a state by state basis.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
All that matters is your vote and you’ve now made it. This is what we’ve been waiting for and the day has arrived, albeit early, but nonetheless, here.

I too would be pissed, but I’m glad you took it in stride and just went along with it, like I said, the ultimate goal is the VOTE, mission accomplished.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So, you wore you hat into the booth, closed the curtains, took off the hat, marked your ballot, put the hat back on, opened the curtain and left?

I like.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Indeed.

It may be that the SCOTUS won't find this to be a violation and still within the realm of sound electioneering laws.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

I am pretty sure i read about issues like this as early as. Bush 2. The same rule applies if soneone were wearing Biden attire. I believe it is the name specifically that causes the problems. I habe multiple MAGA hats. A red one with Trump 2020 an american flag and Keep america great. Thw. I have one from 2016 thay just has make america great again thay is camo.

It doesnt matter because i am going in giant mohawk spikes anyways.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
All that matters is your vote and you’ve now made it. This is what we’ve been waiting for and the day has arrived, albeit early, but nonetheless, here.

I too would be pissed, but I’m glad you took it in stride and just went along with it, like I said, the ultimate goal is the VOTE, mission accomplished.

Correct, and I do think if this was challenged, it would win in Ohio as well. This is clearly not reasonable application of electioneering laws. I'll wonder if they make people with BLM shirts take them off? I HIGHLY doubt it. Might need some poll watchers to see if they are equally employing this law.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
So, you wore you hat into the booth, closed the curtains, took off the hat, marked your ballot, put the hat back on, opened the curtain and left?

I like.

Pretty sure it was a paper ballot, I don't think voting booths are out until election day.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

It may be that the SCOTUS won't find this to be a violation and still within the realm of sound electioneering laws.

Pretty sure here in New Jersey it's only for poll workers, I'd have to double check.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: incoserv

I like.

Pretty sure it was a paper ballot, I don't think voting booths are out until election day.

There were no curtains. It was a cardboard three sided screen on a table. The ballots were paper, fill in the circle, then scan, no receipt to confirm the votes.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

More like trend setting. That's what they were afraid of. One person see's you and your Trump hat, they feel a little more courage to wear theirs, and the domino effect begins. Next thing you know, beta males are flailing on the sidewalk screaming at the sky. I'm not sure what would happen if I showed up to the polling booth in my Trump cap. My mom and a couple of her friends always work the poll booths here. But, even then, (and this is off topic) I still have to give them my ID. She said our town broke the record for the number of voters in 2016, I wonder if we'll break that record this time.

And for the record, it's nice to see that you don't wear a flat brimmed cap. Check out Printed Kicks to see some other badass Trump caps and 2A caps and Patriotic caps, also flags and a plethora of other things Patriotic and Trump related. They're in northern MI so you'd get yours pretty quick.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77
There were no curtains. It was a cardboard three sided screen on a table. The ballots were paper, fill in the circle, then scan, no receipt to confirm the votes.

That's what we had two elections ago, on a side note I've never gotten a receipt for voting.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

In Nevada electioneering laws apply to everyone. Not even a campaign button.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

This is from 2018
www.usatoday.com...

Edit to add:

Thanks for that, and trust me, I didn't make their lives easy today. I pushed back until the sheriff intervened, and since I was not totally sure I had the law on my side, I relented. Took off the hat, set it next to me facing out, finished my ballot and left with my hat on.

Does this make you some kind of martyr or something? You sound really proud of yourself. You were violating the law and kept violating it until Law Enforcement made you stand down. Election officials tried to make you understand the law but you refused. I don't see how this says anything positive about you. Unless being a complete jerk is something to be proud. Don't let your heroes be ghosts people.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
That's been the law here in Michigan as long as I can remember. You cannot wear an item promoting any candidate.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

In Nevada electioneering laws apply to everyone. Not even a campaign button.

That's pretty severe if you ask me, you can campaign outside the polling area if you're on the sidewalk and I'm pretty sure we can wear campaign apparel inside as long as you aren't working the polling place.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join