It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members of Nintendo Switch Modding Group Team Xecuter have been arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Morning ATS Colleagues, not sure where to put this so its in General Chit Chat for no other reason.

It seems Nintendo, rather than just go after the resellers of all thing mod-chippery, they have now got some of the creators arrested.

I'm neither for nor against what they do (just a geeky interest) but this is not good.

Comments?

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

I frequently use microphone pre-amps, compressors, and microphones. Certain of these products are popular recipients of after-market "mods", so when I read the thread title my initial association was to that, and I thought "so what's the big deal?"

I'm not familiar enough with the issue apropos of video game consoles, etc., but at first blush it looks like Team Xecutor was infringing on the intellectual property rights of Nintendo. Stealing IP is illegal (and scummy), so nabbing the thieves is good, right?

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:41 AM
link   
i subscribe to their youtube channel.
im not sure they will get in trouble per se, but nintendo might strong arm them to pay fines and stuff settle out of court kind of thing.

the hak chips are just that, made to hak your nintendo.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Modding has always been on the edge of whats legally allowed and since it can allow bypassing of copyright protection etc does make it seen as something that affects the bottom line thus they want it banned.

Nintendo have always been a bit more litigation happy especially with ROM sites etc which doesn't really win them many friends but I guess their IP is worth the lawyers fees.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I think its the "license" that they were selling above initial HW purchase that got Nintendo in a tizz.

I draw the line there. Reverse engineer by all means but making a buck out of it is not looked upon very kindly in the Emulation Community.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If this were a thing in the amplifier world Leo Fender could have sued the pants off Jim Marshall for using the early Bassman circuit for the original JTM45. They are identical in layout.

I'd rather play the early DOS games that start as shareware and I have purchased a couple that I really enjoy. Some of them have a plethora of mods that make it even more fun.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

I think its the "license" that they were selling above initial HW purchase that got Nintendo in a tizz.

I draw the line there. Reverse engineer by all means but making a buck out of it is not looked upon very kindly in the Emulation Community.

I just started watching a docu series on Netflix. Some nerds from MIT were moding video game cabinets back in the day. And they got sued. I haven't watched the whole thing, so I dont know the outcome

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: galaga

Would that be the "illegal" PacMan mods ?

Ms Pac-Man began life as an enhancement kit for the original Pac-Man, entitled Crazy Otto. Unfortunately, the creator of the kit, General Computer Corporation, had lost a court case against Atari over an earlier, unofficial, enhancement kit for Missile Command, and was banned from selling further mods without the consent of the original manufacturer.

www.digitiser2000.com...

P.S. Who ever heard of Baby PacMan ???

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

I frequently use microphone pre-amps, compressors, and microphones. Certain of these products are popular recipients of after-market "mods", so when I read the thread title my initial association was to that, and I thought "so what's the big deal?"

I'm not familiar enough with the issue apropos of video game consoles, etc., but at first blush it looks like Team Xecutor was infringing on the intellectual property rights of Nintendo. Stealing IP is illegal (and scummy), so nabbing the thieves is good, right?

Only if they were doing it for profit or to cause economic harm. Otherwise i see no problem.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   

At least you have good taste in vintage games judging by your handle. Due to chuck e cheese closing recently as a result of coronavirus I recently bought an arcade console on amazon for about 250, preloaded with roms and emus. Its a blast and id recommend it to anyone. Oh, and the MIT guys ... they probably were doing nothing new except creating a documentary. Ive had most arcade and console roms available via newsgroups until around 2010 when I stopped collecting them. The only old console i maintain is dreamcast.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Thats certainly a good way of waking up the lawyers from their slumber

If you're going to do stuff like that make sure you have an address where they can't bother you.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Bottom feeders like that never sleep. Always have one eye open

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

At least you have good taste in vintage games judging by your handle. Due to chuck e cheese closing recently as a result of coronavirus I recently bought an arcade console on amazon for about 250, preloaded with roms and emus. Its a blast and id recommend it to anyone. Oh, and the MIT guys ... they probably were doing nothing new except creating a documentary. Ive had most arcade and console roms available via newsgroups until around 2010 when I stopped collecting them. The only old console i maintain is dreamcast.

Thanks man. It is my favorite classic arcade game. One I'm actually better than average at. The mods that the MIT guys got sued over where for Missile Command and this was in the early 80s. It was cool because these dudes where making money by placing arcade games in the dorms. They made so much money, they quit school.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

wait a minute, he said one of them was called Gary Bowser

he should counter sue them for using his family name

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Speaking of Baby PacMan.

This just appeared on YouTube.

Does the guy read ATS?

youtu.be...